Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Trailblazer 250G, Full power on all settings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Trailblazer 250G, Full power on all settings.

I got this welder used, don't know much about it. I serviced the engine, new battery and replaced both battery cables. The welder goes full bore on all settings, cannot turn it down. Gouges 1/2 plate with a 1/4 7018.

At the welding lugs OC, 100-145V.

I have AC power, 122VAC 60Hz AT IDLE, At high idle. 100Hz-300Hz.

S# KC328408

At least it works, that good for a used purchase, eh. Thank you, for any help with this. I would like to figure it out, however might drop it off at the Miller service center, next week.

Is your frequency meter accurate? Did you check it against utility power?

If the meter is accurate that machine is spinning WAY TOO FAST.

Comment

Didn't think of checking it. Just tried now, 120Hz from the utility. It's out to lunch. I have a meter at work I will try. (Mechanic, by trade.) I will see if I can find out what RPM, it's running at.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero67 View Post
        Didn't think of checking it. Just tried now, 120Hz from the utility. It's out to lunch. I have a meter at work I will try. (Mechanic, by trade.) I will see if I can find out what RPM, it's running at.
        Nothing like a eefed up test device to make the whole job harder.
        Getting people to verify test equipment before beginning is a great difficulty in the world.

Comment

Ok, checked my gear and got my better meter home.

1705 RPM Idle 40-100Hz. didn't get voltage at idle.

3550 RPM High idle, 230Hz Ish.(all over the map, over 120Hz.) 122VAC.

The Tachometer is not the most accurate, but passable. +100RPM, It showed my truck at a lower RPM, then that Tach and scan tool. So ok ballpark.

The Unit stopped charging, it was at 14.5V. Now not charging anymore. Not sure if I should fix that first, or work on the lack of Voltage control.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Just a hunch, I'd work back from the battery first.

I have a pretty good feeling everything on that machine functions using battery as a reference if not source.

Comment

I will work on that tomorrow, bit late to fire it up. to check the Stator and Volt regulator out. I will get that problem fixed, and see if that fixes my unit.

(Bugging me, and downstairs left. So fair game to start it.)
              Did a little testing.
              -Voltage Reg has B+ at all three connections. B+ only on one wire,
              -Stator .3 ohms, OL to case.
              -50V VAC

Looks to me the Voltage reg is fried out of it mind. Going to get one, when I find a place in town, or Amazon. (Canadian, might take a week to get it.) Or get a old ford reg and wire it in. IDK.
              Last edited by Zero67; 11-05-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Well my part came in, couldn't get a Onan Reg, got a Kohler, at least it was only $75. Charging perfect now, 14.7V. However the welding part is still the same and my AC is still that same. So fixed A problem, just not THE problem.

However there is one thing, when it's switched to remote OC voltage drops to 1-2V. not sure if that is helpful. Not willing to buy a remote at this time, I would like to get it working properly first, before buying items. Going to drop it off at the service center on the 25th. (I have 2 Mondays a month off.) See if they have any idea.
                Last edited by Zero67; 11-10-2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X