Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powermax 30 air

well i am thinking about getting this machine
    i do small metal art tatterd flags etc..
    i think this machine will be just what i need

but i was wondering can a person get fine cut consumeables
    like they can the 30 xp i know the torches are different

fine cut tips would be really nice
    i like the fact the 30 air has onboard compressor

but i may very well get the 30 xp
    i have a 21 gallon belt driven porta cable compressor i run sanders
    paint guns and grinders off of it i dont have any issues
    i read some reviews on amazon where people run 15 gallon compressors no issues
    i wont be running the plasma cutter all day ever day
    and **** i could save like 300$

i just cant seem to find fine cut tips for the torch that comes with the powermax 30 air 2

I have a Powermax 30, which I bought before the XP came out. I would love to be able to use the fine cut consumables. And I think you'd be better served with the 30 XP, using a separate compressor.

Comment

well i sure like the fact about the fine cut consumables with the XP..
      may get it an run my compressor it puts out right about 5.9 cfm at 90 psi..
      not sure yet though

i cut stuff thats about 14 guage maybe the XP Air will cut that
      without a bunch of slag left over? my hobart plasma cutter has built in air
      its a good machine dont get me wrong but i want something bigger now

Comment

Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post
        I have a Powermax 30, which I bought before the XP came out. I would love to be able to use the fine cut consumables. And I think you'd be better served with the 30 XP, using a separate compressor.
        what type of compressor do you run bud?

Comment

I have a 5hp, 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand, but I know you can go much smaller. I don't remember if the owners manual gives air requirements. Before I got the Ingersoll, I had a 2hp, 20 gallon that worked just fine. I normally use my 30 to cut 18ga. to 1/4 inch. On 18ga. the cut edge is **** close to a sheared edge. Whatever dross is on the metal pops off with a light tap of a chisel. Your compressor, putting out 5.9cfm at 90psi should be more than enough.

Comment

thanks for the tip yeah i have a grinder but be nice to have bunch of slag built up i may get the 30 an try it out if all else fails i can get a bigger compressor later on i dont cut pieces out no bigger than 24 inch x 24 inch then i make my designs in the sheet steel

Comment

If I had my choice of fine cut consumables or an on-board compressor, I'd take the consumables. It wold make the machine much more versatile.

Comment

yeah im just wondering how detailed of a cut a person can get with the xp air

may see if i can try out the xp 30 and see how my compressor likes it
                then if it dont work out for me take it and get the air..

good thing about it is i can get both machines local at AirGas

Comment

What the kerf width you're getting, expecting and what's the stand off distance when you cut?

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
                    What the kerf width you're getting, expecting and what's the stand off distance when you cut?
                    i have not tried any of the two machines that i have discussed now with my Hobart 12ci i use the little copper stand off adapter..
                    the cuts are not very clean usualy have to do some grinding even on 16 guage sheet metal im wanting to upgrade machines

and thinking eaither the xp 30 or the 30 air with built in compressor
                    the xp 30 has that duramax torch with different consumables

its a toss up between built in air or fine cut consumables

im sure with the XP air on 16 guage id get cleaner cuts its bit more powerful than my hobart 12ci
                    i like the built in air i really do

Comment

I’m in the camp of no built in compressor. That Hobart you have isn’t even in the same league as the 30xp. It will be quite an upgrade for your work requirements.

Comment

Yeah, I had a Powermax 30 for a long time and agree the XP is the way to go.

Comment

well i did get the 30 now to start playing with it lol

Comment

You got the 30 XP, or the 30 Air?

Comment

just the 30 XP sorry it cuts good going to hook up 220 tomorrow an run it off of 220

Comment

Working...
                              X