Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 250 DX

Hi All,
    I'm new to the forum, but have welded off and on for a long time. I got my first welding job while I was in high school welding BMX frames 40 years ago.

After looking for a used Dynasty for awhile on CL, I came across a hardly used Syncrowave 250 DX. It was a deal that I couldn't pass up. I brought it back to my work and ran some welds with it. I've been using the Dynasty at work and that's why I wanted one, but after welding aluminum with this, I'm happy that I found it. Yeah, it's not compact for my garage, but I don't care that much.

I prefer the way this welds, especially aluminum, over the Dynasty. Is it just me that feels this way?

No, remember before inverter machines came along aluminum was successfully welded for decades, beside the Sycrowaves were known as a good machine for Al welding, congrats on your find.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Comment

I prefer the transformer machines as well, except in circumstances where running the freq up is indicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting1 View Post
        Hi All,
        I'm new to the forum, but have welded off and on for a long time. I got my first welding job while I was in high school welding BMX frames 40 years ago.

After looking for a used Dynasty for awhile on CL, I came across a hardly used Syncrowave 250 DX. It was a deal that I couldn't pass up. I brought it back to my work and ran some welds with it. I've been using the Dynasty at work and that's why I wanted one, but after welding aluminum with this, I'm happy that I found it. Yeah, it's not compact for my garage, but I don't care that much.

I prefer the way this welds, especially aluminum, over the Dynasty. Is it just me that feels this way?
        As a eariler yet Syncrowave owner what you feel is a difference in the force. I know...sound cheesy. But it's true. Compare the volt/amps curves of both machines, Dynasty and the Syncrowave, The Syncrowave will pucker a puddle while the Dynasty is still adjusting it's lips. While there may come a time when having the beast filling floor space seems a bit much, you got a real keeper. Enjoy!

EDIT. And welcome. But you won't be at home until you create some controversy... lol. Just kidding.
        Last edited by Noel; 10-25-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I run a Sync at home. Used a dynasty at work. Aluminum on both. I'll tell you what, adjusting the Dynasty to soft/same with 60 ferq and 73-5 on balance you'd be hard pressed to tell em apart lol

Comment

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
            I run a Sync at home. Used a dynasty at work. Aluminum on both. I'll tell you what, adjusting the Dynasty to soft/same with 60 ferq and 73-5 on balance you'd be hard pressed to tell em apart lol
            Thanks for the tip. I'll try those settings at work.

Comment

I haven't a tungsten that I'm really happy with running AC on the Sync. I have that E3 stuff and 1.5 Lanthinated and of course the all-time-award-winning-2% Thoriated. I've been running a straight 8 cup with 1/8" diameter for the higher amperage stuff and drop down to 3/32 but with a gas lense for lower amperages.
              I've heard that 2% Ceriated works well on AC with these machines. anyone care to weigh in on a specific type of tungsten that works well running older Syns on AC?

Comment

Not 2% thoriated that's for DC, old school AC tungsten is zirconiated.
                Richard
                West coast of Florida

Comment

well ****. I haven't been doing it right. lol
                  2% runs great with AC IMO...I like the Zirconiated before when the 1% was available but the .8% they peddle now doesn't seem to work as well for me.

Comment

Try the 2% lanthanated. I like it over the 1.5%.

Comment

Is anyone still using pure on aluminum?

Comment

the 1.5% is great for DC on just about everything, I haven't any 2% laying around but I'm willing to give it a go on AC. thanks for the tip Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                          Try the 2% lanthanated. I like it over the 1.5%.
                          Me too. I use it for everything on my Sync 250.

Comment

sporting1 no mention of the pure, maybe it's only used by novices? that could be why its green

Comment

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
                              I haven't a tungsten that I'm really happy with running AC on the Sync. I have that E3 stuff and 1.5 Lanthinated and of course the all-time-award-winning-2% Thoriated. I've been running a straight 8 cup with 1/8" diameter for the higher amperage stuff and drop down to 3/32 but with a gas lense for lower amperages.
                              I've heard that 2% Ceriated works well on AC with these machines. anyone care to weigh in on a specific type of tungsten that works well running older Syns on AC?
                              I have seen quite a difference between the 1.5% Lanthanated and the 2% Lanthanated.
                              I tried the 1.5 first as this was all my LWS had. They actually told me there was no 2%. I was not pleased with the1.5 and later ordered the 2% online.
                              The 2% has performed great.

HTH
                              Griff

Comment

Working...
                              X