302 Airpak compressor shutting off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302 Airpak compressor shutting off

Hoping someone here can help me out with an issue I’m having. I’ve got a 302 Airpak with the 30HP Koehler. I love it it’s a great machine but recently when I’ve been using the air it shuts off on me and the machine starts to “surge”( Engine keeps running but I lose air pressure). I watched the clutch for the compressor and it starts to kick on and off about the time the air production quits. Almost like it’s loading up then releasing. I’ve just been using air for my chipper and needle gun on the lowest setting between passes of 1/8 7018 defiantly not pushing the machine hard. Once the air dies the machine continues to shutter and surge while the air compressor clutch is kicking in and out.

Highest probability would be the check valve device where the compressed air enters the receiver is malfunctioning.

Working from the silly presumption the machine has been properly maintained & drained, and the receiver isn't full of condensate, I'd move to step 2 troubleshooting.

I'd disconnect the line from compressor to check valve and run the machine. If the problem is the check, the compressor will run wide open although not making much pressure.

Meanwhile, post model and serial numbers for the machine so the drawings can be brought up.

Comment

Thanks Franz I could actually hear air leaking out of somewhere on the machine almost in a pulsing manner, but I was rushing to finish my job and didn’t want to look like I was fixing my junk on someone’s dime so I didn’t investigate, will look again tomorrow.
      S/N: MD330423R
      Stock No: 907549
      edit: I believe the air pulsing that I’m hearing is just the blowdown value doing its job
      Last edited by mwm13; 12-02-2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Well I serviced the compressor side and it seemed to be okay for 5 minutes then the dreaded shut off happened again. No faults displayed on the machines front display. I don’t think it’s shutting off due to over pressure or overheating as I’ve watched it do this multiple times now. The clutch seems to disengage and it kills my air. Thinking it may be related to a CB5 issue but I’m stumped. I’ll be taking it into RedD Arc this week but in the meantime any ideas from one of you miller Gurus would be great.

Comment

Cooling fins? Oil temp sensor? Max pressure switch dirty and stuck?
          Does the fan run all the time? Fan should run all the time when asking for air.
          You serviced it so I don't think it's shutting down on low oil. CB5 only trips on high temp.

My thought would be the max pressure switch. I would guess the insides are dirty, spring is stuck and it's thinking you have max air when you don't.

Comment

I just got an email back from a miller tech and he suspected the CB5 needs to be replaced so I’m going to do that today and give it a run and see. The clutch disengage is what leads me to think it’s a CB5 problem. The fan runs all the time everything seems to be working as it should until it kicks off... holds a steady pressure, the pressure knob responds to all adjustment from low right to high.

Comment

*Update*
              Replaced CB-5 and I’ve run it for 20 minutes full tilt and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the pointers hopefully if anyone else has this issue down the road this will help them out.
              CB5 is a auto-reset breaker i just used a standard 12V 20amp auto reset from the auto parts store to replace it. $10 part

Comment

Originally posted by mwm13 View Post
                *Update*
                Replaced CB-5 and I’ve run it for 20 minutes full tilt and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the pointers hopefully if anyone else has this issue down the road this will help them out.
                CB5 is a auto-reset breaker i just used a standard 12V 20amp auto reset from the auto parts store to replace it. $10 part
                Awesome. Thanks for the update. I'll file this tip for later use.

Comment

Working...
                X