Issue with autoset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
    The 211 inverter AutoSet works great in both C25 and in the gasless Flux-Core settings, since they are different switch settings. But yea, too bad it had that wobble (even in the replacement motor).

200A is enough to run 045 dual shield but on the bottom-middle end of it's useful range. I think the "optimum" is approx 250A, but at it's very lowest, it can be made to run as low as 150A or so. 150A-205A = low end, 205A-250A = mid range, 250-300A = top end, IMO. 035 dual shield is definitely a much better choice for a 200A class machine, IMO.

Luckily my current welders have synergic "autoset" curves for all kinds of wire, including dual shield in 035 and 045 diameters, and they're pretty much right on the money (for a T-joint, just like the chart suggestions are for non "autoset" welders). Other joint configurations always require tweaking.
    Oscar, I had a Miller CP-300 running that Fabco Triple 7.045 almost as fast as the R-115 could run it, just over 320 amps and somewhere around 33V, and I could not keep up with the puddle. It was holy hot on the hand for the 4" bead I ran. I'd show the cold laps, but I still want to be allowed on the forum...

Comment

I’ve been very pleased with it the last few days that it’s been on hardwire. I haven’t migged in about eight months or so but I am very happy with how the machine is performing even though I’m a little bit out of step and I need to get my rhythm back as you can see the machine is doing its job
      Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39234.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	603414 You're actually quite consistent. Almost zig zag sewing machine. Just have to tighten up the stitches.
        Stepping to far to fast is a fact, a little wide in the weave just an opinion?

And while I won't say you can't, because you did, you'd be better off creating the same size weld in 3 smaller stringer passes. Less risk of this kind of slag entrapment, reduces the risk of cold lap, easier to blend between passes as well diminished fillet size strengths due to the voids. It's all about the triangle.

Name:	image_39234a.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	603412Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39234b.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	603413Those glass island are the result of voltage and longer arc length lengths, but the trapping between is the result of over stepping and leaving a void. I'd agree you are up and running. Full speed ahead just slower.

Hopefully your not offended by my opinions, or criticisms. In the bigger picture, you did weave it in there. I'm assuming there was one under it and that a second pass?

Comment

Solid to the edge of the toes. Results don’t lie. the 211 is working well.
          Attached Files

Comment

She’s choochin along just fine. Lookin good, my friend. The glass islands are silica deposits. Depending on the wire manufacturer, silica is added in varying amounts as a deoxidizer. When the metal melts, so does the silica, latching on to whatever nasties it can and floating them to the surface. I’m sure you know, but others that don’t and if it comes up in a internet search, it should be removed before subsequent passes are made. It is not considered a defect.

Autoset or manual?

Comment

I’m running Autoset on hardwire. Just popped a fresh 11lb roll of Blue Demon 030 in before that run.

Comment

Tell you what I'd like to see, the weld cut down the middle , cut as you did but polished and etched.

Name:	image_39249.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	603441 The welding machine is working well. But that wasn't my point of issue. The issue was in the weaving you did for a covering pass. I was suggesting you rethink doing that and if you were to continue doing it, re-thinking how and why.

Second was if you were, the speed you took in forward progression with the stepping ahead being to great too quickly resulting in the voids and the inconsistent blending in the toes of the weld. Your picture shows the ridges and valleys. No harm no foul. Those are weld discontinuties however.

But it begs to ask the question, does a guy speak or forever keep his mouth shut when he sees something wrong? I'm to old to care so I speak up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkbgXQ7Wl-Y

I recently watched this video. Good camera stuff. Poor technique however and it showed up in the welds that were cut and etched.

Name:	IMG_6852.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	603443Over filling and poor weld profile. The face should be flatter and suggests gun to joint angle of inclination is off and the speed could be quicker with less of a deposit. As well I would have made a slight adjustment to the weld parameters.

Name:	IMG_6853.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	603444Is this fused? Or fused much I wonder? This is like fake news. I think it was the short circuit transfer? Looking at this and you have to thing short circuit transfer sucks but I'd blame the guy running it.

Name:	IMG_6854.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	603442This is a money shot and spray transfer. High Volts and wire speed. Yet to what value?

As you mentioned, the results don't lie? What does is a picture and a belief all is well in Denmark if it shows a smooth weld face.

Name:	IMG_6294.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	603445 This shows a slight over filling, but the fusion while present still resulted in a lack of penetration into the inside of the corner. Need a slight increase in WFS in my opinion, a little less riding the puddle maybe but again, I'm just expressing my opinion.

More to the point, you can do it. But that doesn't make it's right, better or a best practice.

Comment

I’ve used very little blue demon wire, and what I have used was stainless. I don’t really have any complaints but I don’t have any other experience with it. You like that stuff?

Comment

S’aright. I prefer Lincoln, but I’m about to switch gears and run some off brand stuff to find a diamond in the ruff the same way i did with INWELD 6010. That’s gotta be the best rod I’ve ran and...... INWELD, who?

Ran another weave and it came together better. So that’s 2 for this year. Total. Back when i was doing 30 a day i could drink coffee and run the gun with the other hand. Mig bores me to death so i try and make it interesting.
                    Attached Files

Comment

INWELD is great rod and wire. I sold a ton of it...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I’ve been running esab solid wire but am considering changing to selectarc since I like their dual shield so much, probably give a roll of that stuff a try.

Comment

What's that they say about third time being the charm? A guy getting lucky, or skillful?

Name:	zigzag-5706c2f35f9b581408d3be1d.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	603477
                          Or my flogging a dead horse? " I think I can fix it if I beat it a bit longer"?

You know, when you get this, and it applies to all types of welding, your welds will be smoother and blended better as a result. That includes SMAW and using the 6010. Third times the charm or lucky. The fourth says skillful.

Comment

Noel are you using left twist welding thread or right?

I recall Bob was always demanding aboot using left on Singers.

Comment

Some guys have a natural knack for thinking...I'm not that guy. But from time to time I actually do think.
                              I'm thinking I'll go to look at the threads in my sewing machine and see if they are a right lay, left lay, Lang lay or just how they lay? Most likely just covered in dust is my guess?

Yup, covered in dust.

Name:	fig22.gif
Views:	71
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	603497 What I don't get is that they say do this or do that motion, this step or that step, but they don't mention the rest that goes with it like why you do it or when too use it.
                              Hotter, tighter arc and moving faster is the way to smoothing out the bead with better blending. That's my take on it.

Name:	Home pictures 009.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	603498 But it's also amperage, arc length and voltage force, puddle viscosity with the pause for melting, motion to spread, and steps to set the freezing and filling. This based on wire type, slag system if applicable, joint design, welding process and of course the skill and understanding of the guy doing.

Besides that, a hot more fluid puddle hides the lack of rhythm most of us are known for with a tighter finer ripple that doesn't stand out as much as a course weld profile tends to do.

1234,1234,1234...One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. Big difference. Just like a sewing stitch.

But I as previously mentioned, I wouldn't have weaved it in like that. I like to think my replies have leaned towards a soft correction to what is a poor welding practice or habit to break. Especially in a horizontal position. Failing that, how to improve what apparently is going to be done anyways.

Could be I'm off the mark so I have to ask, how many of you would have performed that weld in just that fashion? Or do I stand alone once again in my opinion?

Comment

I opine that all the verbosity and drawings don't mean spit till the joint is cut, polished, developed and looked at. Pretty tops might mean something to somebody, but if the weldments ain't fused to create strength the crap on top ain't gonna help.

Neil I am chagrined with the 1234 Canadian approach. Surely I'd have thought a country known for its woolens would have held firm to knit one pearl 2 for long passes.

Comment

Working...
                                X