• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetisim

Cleaning my shop today. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6755.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	602711I wanted to rub the little fella.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6754.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	602710This is why I'm rarely bored. Always something to amuse me.

I posted these pictures because they did amuse me. All those fuzzy metallic particles, the pattern of radiating rings, makes you want to dip a cell phone in the stuff doesn't it?
    I don't own one or I would. If you do however, place it in a plastic bag first and post a picture when you do.

Anyways... for those about to weld, when you look at the end of the wire melting, or the arc given off the tungsten, heck, even the rod melting, remind yourself these fields of magnetism change constantly. Lift an arc, change a gas, vary volts and amps. Stick out, rod size...current, material condition, type of material.

Just thought I'd share that, and maybe find out what a cell phone does in the stuff because I'm kind of curious to find out?

Comment

You find the right marketing path and you might ave the next pet rock.

Problem will be flooding the market before Supergiantmegacorpintergalactic's workers in China can duplicate it and get it on ebay.

Comment

Got arc blow?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O8Jt0Ccizc

I'm probably mistaken, but my thoughts are there is a better way of combating the welding skills shortage. Make it interesting and make them smarter as a result being the first step.
          Thinking deeper, asking questions, that's a second step.
          I'm not thinking it will happen over night or anything, but a fuzzy magnet... it's a start.

And when I'm not thinking this deeply, I have to admit, I'm thinking pet rocks.

Comment

1-2 generations too far removed from actual education by demonstration to get back now.

There is a lot more education to a bell jar & vacuum pump in a room full of kids watching water boil at 70° than there is to that same bunch of kids watching a video of vacuum lowering boil point while an overcompensated 180 day a year Licensed Professional reads his racing form.

Lincoln was screwing around with some computer aided simulation system a few years back but I think it flopped.

Comment

"
              1-2 generations too far removed from actual education by demonstration to get back now.
              "

You might be right. But remember hope is a good thing. Sounds better when Morgan Freeman says it but you get the idea right?

"There is a lot more education to a bell jar & vacuum pump in a room full of kids watching water boil at 70° than there is to that same bunch of kids watching a video of vacuum lowering boil point while an overcompensated 180 day a year Licensed Professional reads his racing form. "

Ton's more. But that would be a learning moment, getting them to think. They don't need those thinking brain cells it seems, just the listening ones and the follow along ones? Yet I hear talk in Alberta of new curriculum being developed. I also heard talk of a book burning so how far have we really traveled?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5219.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	602774

"
              Lincoln was screwing around with some computer aided simulation system a few years back but I think it flopped.
              "

Seems the missing link is getting a smart welder on the team? One who can translate and speak the language. Like robotics, CNC, and I'm sure the game of simulations, at some point you need a content expert to bring it all together in a package.

Comment

Soak that shiz in 2 part clear epoxy, magnetize and wait. Throw another layer of clear on it, ebough for the pointy parts to be non-obtrusive, then sell for profit. Art is a difficult thing to master, the same reason the best shops in America are an utter disaster area.
                Last edited by Forced_Firebird; 10-03-2019, 10:09 PM.
                J.Caraher
                Wide Open Throttle Technologies (WOT-Tech), Pompano Beach FL
                Miller Sync 300,Hobart 190
                RogueFab pneumatic, Hossfeld Manual
                Kitamura CNC, Bridgeport 2j
                TunerPRO, HPTuners, AEM, Megasquirt, DynoJet
                NASA Racing Official/Driver

YouTube Link, Instagram Link, FaceBook Link

Comment

Can't soak the filings before grabbing with the magnet, surface tension on the epoxy will skew the display.
                  Seems like the right combination of bottles from the Gilbert Chemistry set will yield some colorizing, and a varnish such as motor insulating varnish could be spray applied, even electrosprayed for maximum artsy effect.

If Takit wasn't pushing so hard on the JenAir grill/cutting table/grinding table I could experiment, but it's geting cold in the shop these days.

Comment

Cold outside here to, the garage however is a toasty 70 degrees. Living the dream.

And no to doing artsy guys. I'm not doing artsy I'm doing science. That mentioned, I seem to create a lot of metal partiticles grinding so I'm not in short supply?
                    I'm looking to create a simple magnetic field display representing welding conditions. It's not high on the list either. But It's none the less a idea I have rolling around and little to no idea about creating?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L8yUY-doNc

This stuff looks like fun for all ages doesn't it? Has me thinking about metal partiticles at the bottom of an oil pan.
                    Last edited by Noel; 10-04-2019, 03:10 PM. Reason: https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-printed-droplets-of-permanently-magnetic-liquid-and-boy-is-it-trippy

Comment

Oil pan particles generally ain't iron. Mucho carbon that plugs pickup screens on engines that idle a lot.

Comment

On that van I recently worked on the thrust washer shims between the bottom of the distributer and gear were disintegrated, I had metal. Which reminds me I was going to attach a magnet to the bottom of the pan to try and collect any that remain.

That said, do you think metal particles dragged by pull through the fluid and it's viscosity would be similar to amps through a shielding gas?

Comment

A magnet outside the oil pan won't accomplish much even on an aluminum pan. If you could get something like a teflon coated stirrer magnet inside the sump it would do a lot more.

Probably be fun to stick one of those cheap endoscope cameras inside an oil pan to watch what really happens in there.

Comment

I use magnetic oil drain plugs in the race cars. A fresh engine sure puts out a lot of ferrous metals during the ring seating procedure, but they stay clean shortly after.
                            J.Caraher
                            Wide Open Throttle Technologies (WOT-Tech), Pompano Beach FL
                            Miller Sync 300,Hobart 190
                            RogueFab pneumatic, Hossfeld Manual
                            Kitamura CNC, Bridgeport 2j
                            TunerPRO, HPTuners, AEM, Megasquirt, DynoJet
                            NASA Racing Official/Driver

YouTube Link, Instagram Link, FaceBook Link

Comment

I had a afternoon nap so I'm pretty wide awake. No promises but I'm going to see what the evening brings. Just so happens I have a spare oil pan and a magnet.
                              Last edited by Noel; 10-04-2019, 10:41 PM. Reason: Dropped an "s", happens doesn't it, stiff sticky key board, and to mention I have oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X