Gotta be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta be

Somebody on here who remembers the math my brain thankfully let me disregard years back as worthless to me.

Question- a plug has 12 terminals and 12 wires to connect to those terminals.
    How many possible ways can the wires be connected to the terminals?

Two. One right the other wrong.

Comment

I do believe the answer is 12! or 12 factorial. Which is 12 x 11 x 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 479,001,600

Comment

Franz, I can't believe there's something you don't know! Seems that you might be able to benefit from one of those darn enginurds, engtwirps, whatever, anyway

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...303#post602303

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...309#post602309

Wait - nevermind, someone must have hijacked your account and posted that question

All in good humor (and a little ribbing)

Comment

Originally posted by drb1215 View Post
          I do believe the answer is 12! ...
          This.

Grab the first wire. You have a 1/12 chance of getting it in the right spot. Grab the next wire. You now have a 1/11 chance of getting it in the right spot....

Now the really fascinating part about factorials is that 0! = 1
          Last edited by MAC702; 10-02-2019, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Well, truth is when you don't routinely deal with permutation equations it's natural to file them away in the dusty drawers of the mind. I have 3 sliderules, and there was a time I was pretty good with one of them, but like so many people I set them aside when I began becoming calculator addicted instead of wearing out Eberhard Fabers on paper..

I do recall Howie Appell the 7th grade Science teacher enlightening us on permutation math, and gloating as we attempted to disprove his teachings.

As to enginincompoops, I accessed a couple of them working o satellite programs at Harris with this question. Neither knew the math, but both were certain it was available on their computer system. Later today I'll call the mathematician I know who is also employed by Harris. She loves pointing out the company pays her well to enlighten engineers, like the one she married. She's cute as he11 and fun to talk to.
            She's the babe who came up with the absolute statistical likelihood danger of being shot by a Registered Nurse in this County as opposed to the rest of the state in 5 minutes.

BTW, I was fairly certain it was the 12x11x10~~~ but I wasn't sure if you began with 12x12 or 12x11.

The overall body of knowledge is just too large for any single man to even intake in a lifetime.

Comment

Freaking factorials! Why is it I can't pass over one of Franz's posts even though I know it will be an entirely unproductive enjoyable use of time?

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

This.

Grab the first wire. You have a 1/12 chance of getting it in the right spot. Grab the next wire. You now have a 1/11 chance of getting it in the right spot....

Now the really fascinating part about factorials is that 0! = 1
                Who you kidding? You'd just get your wife to do the job for you.

Comment

Originally posted by drb1215 View Post
                  I do believe the answer is 12! or 12 factorial. Which is 12 x 11 x 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 479,001,600
                  In other words, you might want to budget a full day (and take good notes!) to try every possible permutation of hooking up your amptrol pedal!

Originally posted by Noel View Post
                  Two. One right the other wrong.
                  Actually, four: The right way, the wrong way, the Army way, and MY way!
                  Last edited by Helios; 10-03-2019, 03:11 AM.

Comment

I left a voicemail for Mac's wife. She can get it wired up.

Comment

Not sure if you arbitrarily picked 12, but as soon as I started reading, I had a 70's flash back, this song has been stuck in my head, every time II hear "12" since...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOaZbaPzdsk
                      Last edited by Forced_Firebird; 10-03-2019, 02:08 PM.
                      J.Caraher
                      Wide Open Throttle Technologies (WOT-Tech), Pompano Beach FL
                      Miller Sync 300,Hobart 190
                      RogueFab pneumatic, Hossfeld Manual
                      Kitamura CNC, Bridgeport 2j
                      TunerPRO, HPTuners, AEM, Megasquirt, DynoJet
                      NASA Racing Official/Driver

YouTube Link, Instagram Link, FaceBook Link

Comment

12 was just grabbed out of thin air for illustration.
                        Thanks, you now have reinfected my mind with memories of Timmy the pinball collector. Last I knew Tim had 27 machines & a fat wife jammed in his house and 9 more in the garage waiting to come in. His day job is keeping a hospital computer system functioning for a 900 bed operation scattered across 3 Counties and he needs diversion according to Tim.

My personal taste runs ore to watching Japanese fighting pachinko machines for about 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
                          Not sure if you arbitrarily picked 12, but as soon as I started reading, I had a 70's flash back, this song has been stuck in my head, every time II hear "12" since...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOaZbaPzdsk
                          Thank goodness for Public TV and the ground breaking work of Sesame Street.

Comment

Don't forget the $$$$$$$$ Oscar and Big Bird made for a small group of people.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6771.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	602762More then Oscar and Big Bird that made money. Fisher Price made off like Bandits as well. That said, this survived three kids and two Grand kids. I don't always spend wisely, but I did good with this one. And yea, if I go looking I'll find the characters to go with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X