Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200DX - no arc, no gas

Hey all

I have a Dynasty 200 DX which I bought back in 2015 and it's been an excellent machine since. However, today I fired it up to tack some SS tubes and the machine established an arc for about 2 seconds and then nothing.

The machine still turns on and when I depress the pedal, the numbers on the display does change based on how far the pedal is pressed (as it would normally) but I can't establish an arc and there is no gas coming out of the torch. I switched the machine over to Lift Arc and still no go. Gas wise, I can purge the machine by holding the Gas adjustment button so that's fine.

Anything else I should try before I get it serviced?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by IZwack; 10-01-2019, 08:09 PM.

Have you tried lift arc without the pedal and with contactor set to on? What does it do (arc wise and display wise) in stick mode?

Comment

Originally posted by jjohn76 View Post
      Have you tried lift arc without the pedal and with contactor set to on? What does it do (arc wise and display wise) in stick mode?
      Thanks for the reply JJOHN76.

Looks like I forgot to set the OUTPUT to "ON" when I tested Lift Arc yesterday.

Just now, I did what you mentioned -- put the machine in Lift Arc mode, switched the OUTPUT to "ON", unplugged the foot pedal and the machine did establish an arc and gas was flowing. So this means that the foot pedal is the culprit?

Comment

I would say check the pedal first. If you have a multimeter, connect one lead to pin A, the other to pin B, and press the pedal. If this isn't it, then work your way back checking positive connections from the remote socket to where is connects into the front board.

Comment

Thanks JJOHN76.

Pins A and B on the connector remained open (no tone from the multimeter) even with the pedal pressed. So I opened the foot pedal and looks like the switch is a normally closed switch because doing a continuity test with the pedal open resulted in a tone. So this means the lever on the switch is never getting closed when the foot pedal is assembled (by default, the pedal is pressing on the switch which opens it -- pressing on the pedal with your foot depresses the switch and closes the circuit). I bent the metal arm on the switch just a bit and this solved the issue.

Thanks for all the help!

Click image for larger version  Name:	1002191334_HDR-01.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	32.4 KB ID:	602683
          Last edited by IZwack; 10-02-2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

And you know that thin metal rod you bent will unbend itself at the worst possible time. Kind of the way it goes in my shop. Murphy has my number, so I just deal with what he throws.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
              And you know that thin metal rod you bent will unbend itself at the worst possible time. Kind of the way it goes in my shop. Murphy has my number, so I just deal with what he throws.
              Yeah you're probably right. But I'm a hobby weldor and only use this machine a few times a month max (if at all) so this'll probably work for a while.
              Last edited by IZwack; 10-02-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

It seems like for that arm to bend, either something was lodged between the arm and the body, or the microswitch is sticky/locked up at some point. It might be worth having an extra microswitch on hand in case it happens again, they're tough to find the original OEM Cherry relay, but should be less than $10 when you find one, or another comparable 10A 1/2hp micro switch. Cheap insurance...

Comment

Rule #1- the machine has 73 components. The 71 you have in the stock room will NOT be the part that broke when the machine fails.

Comment

Though it is very likely that only addressing the symptom of the root cause will likely result in recurrence. I would expect to replace that switch at some point, unless I discovered the bent arm was not related to switch malfunction. Whether I do it now or later depends on how urgent I think replacing that part would be when it breaks. For hobby stuff, I'd just buy it now and throw it in the tackle box.

Comment

Working...
                    X