Older Miller XR wirefeeder and Colbra Python push pull gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Miller XR wirefeeder and Colbra Python push pull gun

Does anyone know if I can wire in a gas valve into the XR and how to do it? I bought these two used and didn't realize the XR came with a pistol gun originally. The guy I bought it from must have thrown them together to sell them. I took it to the welding shop by me that services Miller machines and they say it can't be done. I doesn't make sense. Seems to me I just need a 115v valve and wire it to the trigger. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Hank
    Last edited by HankAz; 09-27-2019, 07:00 PM. Reason: Spelling

Oops

Comment

I say where there's a will, there's a way. I don't know the way, but I'm sure if your willing you will find it. "oops". lol. Was that for the spelling edit or the cobra biting you in the butt?

Think of it this way, it beats doing a cross word puzzle, and you can practice your vocabulary at the same time. Remember, your a Hank. Hank's always push forward. My money's riding on you figuring this out.

Comment

Hank, I am guessing you are from Arizona? Most of the suitcase feeder gas valves are 24VAC, you could probably run right off the XR remote control cable connector (pin G to one side of the gas valve solenoid, pin B to the other). You would have to use pin J as your contact closure back to your welder. The only problem I see with this is you wouldn't have any real pre or post flow. It would take a few more components for post-flow. But I am surprised you can't sell that Python gun and have change left over after buying a Miller XR, Spoolmatic 15A or 30A plus the conduit (I have a conduit I don't use).
        Last edited by jjohn76; 09-27-2019, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys this is a older XR unit that uses 115v not 24v like the new ones. I think I'm going to see if the guy I bought it from will take it back. Then I'll buy a newer unit, used. I was thinking of what jjohn76 said and wire a valve in that way then just use it for steel and not aluminium.

Comment

Oh yeah, Fort Mohave Az by Needles Ca and Loughlin Nv on the Colorado River.

Comment

Hank, if your power supply gives both 115V between I and G and 24V between A and G, it still works the same way. Just disconnect plug 51 from 50, connect plug 52 to 50, then splice in the solenoid leads from connector B and connector G. I usually only see 24V AC valves in welders, but if you have a 115V valve, it would work. Looking at the schematic for the HF-251D shows an option for the post flow.

Comment

Been through there many times. Unfortunately, I'm not close enough to you to see how we could get something running. I have a XR-W and Spoolmatic 30A, both with new barrels, one wire conduit,.one WC-24, and one spool canister between them.

Comment

Sounds good, I'll wire it up when I get home. I ordered a valve it will be there when I get home. I'll let you guys know. I drive over the road and I'll be home in a couple of weeks.
                  Thanks everyone!

Comment

Hank, I just saw your comment about using it for steel instead of aluminum. I would definitely recommend against that - the Python conduit is a Teflon liner and not cheap. The steel wire will wear through that very quickly. MK Products makes a normal spiral steel liner, but they're even more expensive. If you're not doing aluminum, a standard push feeder is what you want. BTW, how is the Python conduit mated to the XR feeder? My XR conduit doesn't work with my Cobramatic cabinet, so I would have to think a normal Python conduit doesn't work with the XR cabinet.

Comment

Nuts, didn't know that.

Comment

How to put this, using a Python for steel is sort of like using a Rolls to get from the trailer to the blue wart.

Probably going to be hard on not only the liner but the drive wheels as well.

Comment

Upon further review, Cobra is usable as a hard wire system and liners as well as all necessary components are available.
                          https://www.norco-inc.com/ASSETS/DOC...50-Catalog.pdf

Comment

Usable, but not really cost effective. Those spiral steel (hardwire) conduits cost between $250 and $450, and they still may not be compatible with the XR feeder. My XR conduit has a tapered end at both ends to mate to the cabinet and gun. The Cobramatic ends are not tapered, and the cutout for the locking screw is in a different place. I couldn't find an adapter, but hopefully Hank's doesn't have that issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X