Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 180 SD Problem HLP-1

Hello,

I have a Miller Syncrowave 180 SD that has been trouble free for it's entire life. Trouble free until this past week. I did a quick TIG job and everything was normal. Later that day, my father fired it up to do something and HLP-1 code came up. I looked the code up online and it says it is a SCR Over/Undercurrent.

I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. I did some reading on this forum and saw that this is somewhat common? We unhooked the foot pedal and plugged in our fingertip control and it made no difference. Also have moved the ground and other common things just doing some basic trouble shooting.

Does anyone have any idea what this is and how to fix the issue? I read that it could be the board inside but those types of electronics are above my pay grade.

Serial number for the machine is LC300566.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Does it only do this on DC, or AC as well? The only current feedback I see in the manual is HD1, which is the current sensor between the transformer and stabilizer, connected to the main board at connector RC1 (it's probably worth checking/cleaning connector RC1). If it does it only on DC, then I would guess it's in the SCRs or main board. If it's on AC too, I would guess it's HD1, the wire/connections to HD1, or the board. Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by jjohn76; 09-27-2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. We have not tried it on AC, but I can tell you it faults out on DC. We can certainly try welding some Aluminum and get back with you.

Comment

Sounds good. It's my only thought right now from looking at the manual.

Comment

C, looking at the Syncrowave 180SD wiring diagram again, I just realized I gave you bad info regarding AC vs DC. The output SCRs (at least MOD1) are used for either. Without having any power to the machine, what's the resistance across the outputs? If it's shorted, then there's your answer and what you need to check.

Edit- did you come across this post? Apparently loose SCRs cause issues.
          https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...-under-current
          Last edited by jjohn76; 09-27-2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X