Anyone use plastic dip for tool handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use plastic dip for tool handles

I have a couple of old pair of pliers whose handles I would like to dip in Plastic Dip, anyone used the product and what was the outcome? thanks

I have used it, it works just fine. The more you use, the further down you have to dip your tool, so you may have to cut the top of the can down or pour it into a different container. It usually takes more than one coat to make it nice and let it dry between coats. Hang it from a coat hanger to dry.

Comment

Used it a couple Bleens back, had a gallon can with another an of thinner. It worked, looked good, BUT the coating was not oilproof as factory vinyl dips are.
      Solvent is highly evaporative so you don't screw around dipping.

Today there may be heated vinyl dips available that would by their nature be superior.
      Do some researching for tool handle dip coating.

Comment

I would agree that the dip stuff in a can is not as good as the factory stuff.

I’m not sure I’d invest in a gallon of the stuff unless you have a lot to do though. I’ve only used the smaller cans, but the gallon size would certainly be easier to work in. I wonder what the shelf life of it is when it’s in a gallon can? It’s not that great in those smaller cans, I can tell you that.

Comment

9 years, as long as you pour a layer of solvent on top before putting the lid and shipping clips on. The solvent can develops a seam leak after 9 years.

Comment

This method will give you a plastic coating rather than the rubber coating provided by the dip in a can product sold in box stores.
            https://www.polyone.com/files/resour..._TAB_SC006.pdf

There was once a small operation version of the system available but I'm not finding it presently.

There is also another process commonly used to rustproof and protects shafts in storage that deposits a buildable thickness coating that adheses well. If you go that way it's best applied in hurricane winds due to the solvent.

Comment

Thanks, guys for your comments.. I did some browsing and found this vinyl product, they make grips that can be slipped on too..

\
              https://store.gripworks.com/VynaFlex-Brand.html

https://store.gripworks.com/Flat-Gri...nyl-Grips.html

http://www.gripworks.com/dd-grips.htm
              Last edited by tackit; 09-20-2019, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Well that makes it easy.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  Well that makes it easy.
                  I was out in the shop yesterday straightening up and came upon two pairs of old channel locks and a pair of bent nose pliers that were made in the USA, but don't have vinyl grips. I got to measure the handles and make an order. Winter is just around the corner, time to get prepared for it, my hands don't mind holding cold money, but holding cold tools is an entirely different matter.

Comment

Have you considered something in a tool warmer, perhaps akin to your hot dog warmer?

Maybe you can pick up an autoclave on CraigsList and employ that to get the tools ready to go to work. I once knew a truck mechanic with heated compartments on his service truck for his air tools. Crapperpillar studied heated tool boxes on trucks for the Alaska service fleet but decided against the idea.

Fortunately new Super Franz Rust Abating Fluid flows better on cold tools than hot tools so you can fluidize your exposed steel surfaces.

Comment

I have used the cheap plastic dip from harbor freight many years ago to coat a few tool handles, mostly pliers whose original coatings had worn through down to metal. It was okay but not great. It was however better than not having any grips on the tools.
                      A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
                      LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
                      Lincoln Weldpak 100
                      Gianttech Arc 200
                      Victor O/A

Comment

Working...
                      X