No announcement yet.

filling a gap with a spool gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for introducing me to the concept of adjusting parameters on the fly with MIG. First thing I thought of when I read the original post was if this might be a case for Aaron's ( 6061.com) use of a MIG feeder to supply filler metal when there is a large gap? https://youtu.be/T1KRaZAIqdw

Comment

I'm wondering how your getting that aluminum body clean enough to weld with all the asphalt garbage everywhere? I've welded for hours w/7018 in steel trailers that have seen asphalt.......and it's a PITA......we did use the UHMW plastic for that purpose in our steel trailers.........worked well but we also haul demo concrete and it tears it up.........so I added air vibrators to the body and use a synthetic EPA approved release agent that lasts a few loads before you have to reapply when hauling AC.............Not a perfect world.

Comment

Nothing stops the new adjust on the fly SuperSpool Gun Ryan uses.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l_2...ature=youtu.be

That baby fills gaps like nothing else

Comment

Have you seen the tip tig process, Tarry? It’s hot wire feed tig welding. And the wire vibrates. It’s pretty awesome.

So What I’ve been doing to clean it, and it works really well, is this:

Get in there with a scraper to get the peddles out, give it a good spray down with brake cleaner and watch the schmoo just metal away, then I use wire wheel on a grinder, then brake cleaner again, then I spray it down with some aluminum cleaner, like that weldmark spray bottle stuff that kind of smells sulphury.

Works great. You darn sure know when you hit a spot that isn’t clean enough. My left knee looks like Swiss cheee from the BBs flying out of the of the weld puddle.

As far as the anti-stick fluid....they’re old school.

Comment

This is the tip tig I was talking about:

https://youtu.be/tZyntkRFXto

Comment

TipTig is basically what [email protected] was replicating. Its still a relatively slow process since its still TIG. Now, TopTig is cooler and works a bit faster, but its still not as fast as MIG.
              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
              HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                This is the tip tig I was talking about:

https://youtu.be/tZyntkRFXto
                Yep I've seen that before........I would guess on the production side it would be beneficial......Not so sure getting into tight areas on a roll cage would help?........and wondering where if any is the benefit on weld quality vs Mig or arc other than speed but setting up the equipment is another factor that may only work on long runs?.........Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                  Not so sure getting into tight areas on a roll cage would help?
                  That's where a TopTig-type setup could help. The wire feed path and guide are integrated into the cup, so needed clearances are minimized. But obviously those are proprietary systems where they won't just sell you the specialized cups. You'd have to make your own, which would be pretty cool. I could see a cup made of Hastelloy-X for the ultimate in heat/corrosion resistance in a TIG cup, with an insulated (and replaceable) copper wire guide welded onto the side going inside the cup via a small Hastelloy-X "tip holder" welded to the cup. Then you need a beefy wire drive system in order to have the wire feed through a sharp, small-radius 90° turn in order to not take up a lot of clearance space around the TIG torch.
                  HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                  HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                  HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                  HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

It looks like the tip tig torch is a big odd shaped and larger than normal torches, so I don’t think it would be good for getting into tight areas for roll cages. The tip tig also runs hot wire and vibrates it. Probably not at all intended for repair work, but certainly for production. It’s still pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

That's where a TopTig-type setup could help. The wire feed path and guide are integrated into the cup, so needed clearances are minimized.
                      Hummm........The setups I've seen are bulky at the tip w/ feed off to the side and in no way could you weld inside and around a intersection where 2-3 tubes are coming together where now I have the tungsten stuck out 3/4" + with a gas cup..........don't get me wrong I see some benefits to the top tig ........but not yet for me on specialty work. Thanks

Comment

Correct, that is more for robotic manufacturing processes. Definitely can't see it (in stock form) welding in and around roll-cage tubing assemblies. I was simply referring to the type of setup compared to tip-tig.
                        HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                        HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                        HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Working...
                        X