filling a gap with a spool gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan,

Okay cool, I mean, it can't get much worse than an open hole.... scratch that, it can.

Franz,

I'm far from perfect but I have learned over the years that planning ahead and setting up properly makes a day and night difference from just jumping head first and working on the fly.

I can work on the fly, no problem, but if I can 3D model it or preferably design it myself, 3D model, render, real plans with dimensions so there's no guesswork, that's how I prefer to do it.
    if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Fab on the fly with the only plans bein between your ears is where the joy is Ollie. Them paper drawings allow critters called engineers to screw things up.
      Once did a oob where all machine locations and stub ups were pre planned to the inch and signed off by an engineer.. Started placing machinery and things were 12" off every wall measurement. Engijerk shows up, spreads his plans and electricians and plumbers work is all off by 12". Naturally, he's right and 2 trades are wrong. Rulers & tapes are glowing red hot, and mr Enginitwit is standing there pointing.
      Electrician eyeballs the plan and checks the date. Goes to his truck and comes back with the plans he worked from.
      Clever Engitwerp had originally dimensioned from the outside of 12" block walls, caught his screwup, and tried hanging in in the tradesmen's azzes. He was so clever he forgot to properly date his revised drawing.

Walked on too many jobs where nothing works as drawn. Just tell me what you want it to do and get out of my way. You sure didn't call me cause I'm beautiful.

I came along way too early for compooter modeling, but I've burned thru a lot of paint stir sticks and popsicle sticks along with newspaper and politicians signs. I think the kids call it jobsite CAD. Generally know how it will look before the helmet comes down too.

Comment

There's the Franz we've been expecting...condescending, insecure, degrading, name calling, etc...Good luck having any work to do without engineers to design the thing you're building. I've worked with brilliant engineers and tradesmen as well as complete idiots of both. If the world were all engineers, nothing would get done because they'd be analyzing it to death and if the world were all tradesmen, we'd still be gas welding everything and using the same materials the Titanic was built with. But, lo and behold, if engineers and tradesmen work together, we can (and have) accomplished some incredible feats.

You've got a great deal of knowledge and experience to share - maybe try telling a story without putting someone down for once, just for fun, to see what it's like.

Comment

Originally posted by Fix Until Broke View Post
          There's the Franz we've been expecting...condescending, insecure, degrading, name calling, etc...Good luck having any work to do without engineers to design the thing you're building. I've worked with brilliant engineers and tradesmen as well as complete idiots of both. If the world were all engineers, nothing would get done because they'd be analyzing it to death and if the world were all tradesmen, we'd still be gas welding everything and using the same materials the Titanic was built with. But, lo and behold, if engineers and tradesmen work together, we can (and have) accomplished some incredible feats.

You've got a great deal of knowledge and experience to share - maybe try telling a story without putting someone down for once, just for fun, to see what it's like.
          Let me put it to you this way little fellow; I can't think of a job requiring an Enginurd Stamp to get past regulation that I can't buy the stamped drawings for a few hundred and some emailed pictures.

AND, FYI Mr MOUTH, hull plate of the same metallurgy as RMS Titanic was in use well into the 1950s. Titanic was NOT a welded hull, she was riveted and properly riveted. Had she been a welded hull which wasn't accepted by Lloyds until around 1920, she well might have retained sufficient structural integrity to continue floating. I'm sure you'll readily expound from your fountain of misinformation on the superiority of riveted hull plate and how you know the dynamics of how a riveted plate structure functions particularly in impact situations..
          Feel free to confirm with your favorite search engine.

I'd happily put you down, but frankly my assessment of your capability and intellect indicates you are already near if not at the bottom. You're insulted by ability, experience and knowledge, go forth and learn.

Mechanics build, engineers try to figure out how the mechanic did it, and then argue it couldn't be done. Smart boys & girls with Engineer tickets stand back out of the way and learn from mechanics.

Comment

Once again, you’ve managed to take what was a constructive discussion, convolute it with nonsense, then get in a pissing match about said nonsense. Nonsense is allowed, provided it’s funny or interesting. Your nonsense was neither, but I’m sure it sounded better in your head while you wrote it. I don’t care, either way, what your opinion is on engineers or mechanics. We were trying to talk about constructive means to fill gaps, in particularly with a spool gun on aluminum. So I’m asking your very nicely, if you aren’t going to add something of value outside of self-inflation, post in another thread, if you don’t mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
              Once again, you’ve managed to take what was a constructive discussion, convolute it with nonsense, then get in a pissing match about said nonsense. Nonsense is allowed, provided it’s funny or interesting. Your nonsense was neither, but I’m sure it sounded better in your head while you wrote it. I don’t care, either way, what your opinion is on engineers or mechanics. We were trying to talk about constructive means to fill gaps, in particularly with a spool gun on aluminum. So I’m asking your very nicely, if you aren’t going to add something of value outside of self-inflation, post in another thread, if you don’t mind.
              I value your opinion only slightly less than I value your skill set.
              You have well previously described your willingness to learn in other threads.

I have refrained from commenting on the instant job you're doing in this thread for good reason. I shall continue to do so. I do look forward to your describing the end result.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                My apologies for stirring the pot and derailing this thread.

Comment

Well.

Ryan,

You going to try and blob it in there and see how it works? You said it was aluminum right?

Comment

Ya, it’s aluminum. I hope not to blob it in. I’ve been working it until I get a good fit up to zip it closed. I was just looking for a time saver. I can’t really one hand the spool gun, so I wasn’t planning to feed rod into the puddle, just try and lay it across the gap to save time and beating on the truck to get things in place.

I’m still at the fire station, so once this flooding situation is over and I’m back on this dump truck job, I’m going to try it and see how it goes.

Fix Until Broke....nah man, you’re good.

Comment

Cool, well, best of luck to you and stay safe, I'm sure your doing good work out there, helping everyone.

Comment

What’s strange, parts of the city that got very little or zero flood water from hurricane harvey had 2’ in their houses, and it’s just been rain this time, no river flooding.

Coffee has got to be the blood of life at this point.

Comment

That is odd, I guess it's just mother nature at her finest.

Lol, coffee is always good.

Comment

Be better is it was a cold beer.

Comment

For steel I carry lengths of different diameters of round stock for just this purpose. Rounds are cheap. 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". should work the same for aluminum. I also doubt that 1/8" will do anything other than disappear before the puddle gets to it. I would use something bigger.
                              MM250
                              Trailblazer 250g
                              22a feeder
                              Lincoln ac/dc 225
                              Victor O/A
                              MM200 black face
                              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                              Arco roto-phase model M
                              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                              Miller spectrum 875
                              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                              Syncrowave 250
                              RCCS-14

Comment

Solid advice. Thanks. I have some 1/4” aluminum rod and I can actually roll that out a little thinner if need be in one of the rolling mills.

Comment

Working...
                                X