AEAD-200LE WELD / POWER Switch Wiring Details CB900 468-1K--Schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEAD-200LE WELD / POWER Switch Wiring Details CB900 468-1K--Schematic

Engine will not run when switch is in the POWER position.

wire #51 (light green) is connected to the plus side of the coil and also to the top portion of the WELD / POWER switch; when this switch is in the weld position, the wire 51 becomes a ground this allows the coil to perform its job and the plugs fire.

When the switch is in the POWER position, wire "51 is not longer grounded and therefor the positive terminal of the coil is not grounded and the engine does not run.

I am assuming that the wiring for 51 was modified.

I have the operators manual. I am not the best at understanding it, a wiring diagram would be desirable. Or, if someone has first hand knowledge of the correct wiring for this that would be great as well.

Only four wires that connect the engine to the remaining assembly.

51 Green Connects top of POWER WELD toggle switch to positive side of coil

52 Blue Bottom of POWER WELD toggle switch to Negative side of 12v coil with the throttle switch inline

53 Blue Middle of POWER WELD toggle switch to the engine points box

Black wire connects the starter post to the underside of the main portion of generator.

Battery cables connection to start and run: Black to ground and negative side of 12v battery. Red to starter post and positive side of 12v battery.

Please post your serial number

Comment

There are diagrams in the owner's manuals. Find yours here:https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts
      ---Meltedmetal

Comment

serial number HJ180041.

I am not the best at reviewing a schematic. A wire diagram would be a little easier for me to understand. I have the owners manual.
        Last edited by jimybud; 09-10-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Something funky with your wiring. Wire 51 is supposed to be connected to the - side of the coil; plus side says "to ignition switch", which I assume connects it to the battery to run the ignition system. No wire colors shown on the diagram, so not much help there.

Without being able to see the machine, I can't really be much help when the wiring is messed up. Need some time to study the manual, which I don't have right now. Might be a day or so, or perhaps someone with experience on this specific machine can help sooner.

Comment

I will spend some time tomorrow analyzing (continuity, voltage, ground) for wires 51,52 and 53 in relation to the (a) toggle switch for WELD / POWER and (b) throttle control switch, (c) engine coil (d) engine point box.

I am not sure if the throttle control switch is meant to disallow the POWER selection to operate if the throttle control is positioned to idle.

Is there a schematic for the POWER / WELD toggle switch? There are about eight wires hooked to it.

Thank you for the input.

Comment

Repeat Issue: Engine will not run when WELD / POWER switch set to POWER. Welds fine on WELD setting, and the single 110 outlet works also.

Yes, the schematic is correct for my serial number. Page 16, bottom: https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O411G_MIL.pdf

More details:

Engine Coil Negative terminal: Continuity to Switch (Weld Side** Blue 52
              Engine Coil Negative terminal: Ignition 12v Positive from on/off/start switch

Engine Coil Positive terminal: Continuity to Switch (Power side) green 51

Engine Breaker Box terminal: Continuity to Switch ((center prongs) Blue 53

WELD/POWER Switch wiring diagram (12 prong switch):

(power)
              A B C D
              E F G H
              I J K L
              (weld)

A: No wire
              B: No wire
              C: green#51 continuity to plus side of engine coil
              D: Black #60
              E: Black #7 jumper to F
              E: Black #1
              F: Black #7 jumper to E
              G: Blue #53 Continuity to Breaker Box
              H: Black #22
              I: Black #3
              J: Black #5
              K: Blue #52 continuity to Negative side of engine coil
              L: Black #26

Comment

Are you disconnecting the wires at the coil to check continuity from the Weld/Power switch to the coil? I ask because I wonder if you are seeing continuity though the coil on wire #51 since it is supposed to be connected to coil (-). I would be looking at S2 (switch 2) which I assume to be in the throttle assembly. It appears to need to connect as well as the Weld/Power switch to maintain ignition in the power setting.
                I don't have one of these so take my suggestions with some generous amount of salt.

---Meltedmetal
                ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Yes, I completely disconnect the wires from each end before I test for continuity.

I think, but not certain, a wire diagram (as opposed to a schematic) may be the tool that I need to solve the puzzle.

I think that the engine may have been replaced and in the process the wires connected to the engine were modified. I do not plan to switch any wires until I am fairly sure what there true position should be.

The unit welds great, but no ability to get to the power mode. I

I asked miller technical support for a wire diagram, but they said it is included in the technical manual, and I would have to go through my local dealer to purchase it.

Thank you for the input.

Comment

Verify S2. In the Weld setting ignition passes via Weld/Power switch only.In the Power setting ignition goes via S2 and the Power/Weld switch. I think it is intended to force the operator to push the throttle to the power setting by cutting the ignition in the Power setting until the throttle is pushed up to Power engaging the limit(S2) switch.. #22 page 2 of the parts list

---Meltedmetal
                    ---Meltedmetal

Comment

I agree. For blue #52 (witch connects the negative side of coil to one of the WELD prongs of the WELD/POWER switch), there is continuity only if the the throttle control is set to idle. So, under the power mode, the unit will not get fire to the plug wires when the throttle control is set to idle.

It is the green wire #51 that is not allowing fire to the plugs when the WELD/POWER switch is set to POWER.

Comment

In the diagram wire #51 comes from the coil to the Weld position of the Weld/Power switch as well as to S2 so that in the Power selection ignition is connected. See in the throttle of the wiring diagram if you haven't already.

---Meltedmetal
                        ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Please let me review the wiring on the machine as relates to wire 51.

I think the issue is polarity, as the #51 is on the wrong side of the coil as compared to the schematic.

Comment

you said:

Verify S2. In the Weld setting ignition passes via Weld/Power switch only.In the Power setting ignition goes via S2 and the Power/Weld switch. I think it is intended to force the operator to push the throttle to the power setting by cutting the ignition in the Power setting until the throttle is pushed up to Power engaging the limit(S2) switch.. #22 page 2 of the parts list

Could this be stated as follows:

when the switch is in the WELD position, it is connecting wire 53 to wire 51. Wire 53 is the breaker box and 51 is the negative side of the coil.

When the switch is in the POWER position, it is connecting wire 53 to wire 52. Wire 53 is the breaker box, and wire 52 is the throttle control. The throttle control wire will only have continuity with the negative side of the coil, if the throttle is set to power.

Last edited by jimybud; 09-12-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X