Good formula to clean algae off asphalt roof shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good formula to clean algae off asphalt roof shingles

I want to remove algae from my asphalt roof shingles. I called CertainTeed and was give the formula below to clean off the algea.

1 part bleach, 3 parts water, 5 oz of TSP per gallon, .

but I want to add copper sulfate to keep the algae from returning but haven't a clue on how much to add to the mix, can anyone help me? Thanks

Aren't you a little far into retirement to play on the roof?

Instead of bleach do a test patch with Sodium Carbonate (washing soda- the same thing we use for electrolyte in electro-plating rust off things)
    Bleach only kills and leaves no residual.
    Use your plant feeder gizmo that hooks to the garden hose for Miracle grow powders.

Sodium Carbonate leaves behind a salt that is inhospitable to mold and its big brother algae.

Walmart, and if you order 30 bucks worth of merch they deliver free. I've resorted to adding Tostitos to my order to get to $30-.
    Walmart is also a very good welding & tool supplier. They're giving Amazoom a run for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
      Aren't you a little far into retirement to play on the roof?

Instead of bleach do a test patch with Sodium Carbonate (washing soda- the same thing we use for electrolyte in electro-plating rust off things)
      Bleach only kills and leaves no residual.
      Use your plant feeder gizmo that hooks to the garden hose for Miracle grow powders.

Sodium Carbonate leaves behind a salt that is inhospitable to mold and its big brother algae.

Walmart, and if you order 30 bucks worth of merch they deliver free. I've resorted to adding Tostitos to my order to get to $30-.
      Walmart is also a very good welding & tool supplier. They're giving Amazoom a run for the money.
      Franz, I won't be on the roof, the SIL will be doing the work. Franz will sodium carbonate create streaking of the roof? I was going to put it on with a 2-gallon garden sprayer and let it soak in for a few minutes and then hose it off. Do you think to mix TSP in with the sodium carbonate might create a problem? The guy I talked to at CertainTeed told me by my description, I have an algae problem, not a mold problem, he said the copper sulfate?, or whatever the heII he called what they put in their shingles to stop algae from forming on their shingles, is only guaranteed for 15 years.

Comment

Tack, I put a steel roof on for several reasons, only one being plant growth on the roof.

Copper Sulfate kills vegetation, just look what it does to trees. Soda works better and leaves a residual salt on the roof. It's also CHEAP.
        TSP is harder than he!! to come by. Tri SODIUM comes very clcose to Washing Soda chemicly and will be gentler on any plantings it lands on.. Remember when all the geniuses went apecrap soda blasting log cabins and houses and then learned they had poisoned the ground around the house? How about soda blasting for mold and fire remediation? Only a couple Oxygen atoms different.

They sell Zink blocks that sit at the peak of the roof and leach something that kills fungus at every roofing supply house because Zink works.

I wouldn't trust anything a US roofing shingle manufacturer says if he left a gold bar of sufficient weight to cover his claims on my desk. Shingles flat SUCK.
        that industry quit making good product to make EPA happy, and now they sell twice as many shingles because the crap on your roof needs to be replaced twice in 30 years.

Put Zink blocks at the peak and the fungus will die and wash off in the rain, if you get any rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
          Tack, I put a steel roof on for several reasons, only one being plant growth on the roof.

Copper Sulfate kills vegetation, just look what it does to trees. Soda works better and leaves a residual salt on the roof. It's also CHEAP.
          TSP is harder than he!! to come by. Tri SODIUM comes very clcose to Washing Soda chemicly and will be gentler on any plantings it lands on.. Remember when all the geniuses went apecrap soda blasting log cabins and houses and then learned they had poisoned the ground around the house? How about soda blasting for mold and fire remediation? Only a couple Oxygen atoms different.

They sell Zink blocks that sit at the peak of the roof and leach something that kills fungus at every roofing supply house because Zink works.

I wouldn't trust anything a US roofing shingle manufacturer says if he left a gold bar of sufficient weight to cover his claims on my desk. Shingles flat SUCK.
          that industry quit making good product to make EPA happy, and now they sell twice as many shingles because the crap on your roof needs to be replaced twice in 30 years.

Put Zink blocks at the peak and the fungus will die and wash off in the rain, if you get any rain.
          Your right again Franz , Bob Villa says it could be hard to find too. I'll check for the zink blocks. https://www.bobvila.com/articles/cle...ium-phosphate/

Comment

Just remember Tack, before he got the sweet deal with Public Broadcasting Bob Villa was an intake clerk at a cheese & butter factory. He counted milk cans.

See if you can find 1/8 or even 1/4 Zink sheet from one of the metal suppliers and cut it to 2x2 squares. Little dab of RTV on the faying surface and a nail will get er done.

Comment

Working...
            X