Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller M25 15' gun -- new liner too short

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    One a weekend I was having trouble with the wire feeding through my MM180 so I thought I would flush my liner with denatured alcohol. it helped.

    Comment


    • #17
      You can see I guess what is copper shavings if you look closely.

      Comment


      • #18
        Tackit....
        Did Miller indicate what range of serial numbers for either wire removal? I've been having some weird, snappy, popping starts lately as well, especially on 10 ga and under (cold rolled mild) with L-56 wire of 0.035" and 0.025", even after my aforementioned maintenance though a bit less now.
        Thanks
        -doug

        Comment


        • #19
          Looks like a lot of work for a $25 liner.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by DougM View Post
            Tackit....
            Did Miller indicate what range of serial numbers for either wire removal? I've been having some weird, snappy, popping starts lately as well, especially on 10 ga and under (cold rolled mild) with L-56 wire of 0.035" and 0.025", even after my aforementioned maintenance though a bit less now.
            Thanks
            -doug
            Doug, unfortunately, Miller didn't say what models had the 8 and 79 wires, I just popped off the machines cover and looked for contactor and saw the # 8 wire and took it off. Keep in mind your capacitors could have lost some of their capacitance over time too, that's what cruiser suspected my problem was, , but I called Miller to see what they had to say, that's when they told me to take the # 8 or #79 wire off the contactor.

            My 251 runs better then it ever has since removing the #8 wire, it seems to have a hotter, wider and smoother arc and sweet spot, and adjustments are more critical/noticible throughout the machines heat range. I could be full of BS but other members of the family who have welded with it say the same thing. One of the SILs friends came over to see him in the shop and asked if I would be interested in selling it, he told his friend that machine ain't ever leaving this property, before my Challenger 172 had the sweetest arc.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by DougM View Post
              Tackit....
              with L-56 wire
              -doug
              Some L-56 wire is junk off shore stuff. Not ALL of it is USA made. Just what needs bought for US spec jobs....Bob
              Bob Wright

              Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                Some L-56 wire is junk off shore stuff. Not ALL of it is USA made. Just what needs bought for US spec jobs....Bob
                Well Bob, that begs the question of where and what brand of wire of that type should we purchase to ensure good welding characteristics?! I've heard this before (LE L-56 being junk), but didn't think too much about it since I've never had many problems with it as long as my machine was working well.
                Thanks

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  Looks like a lot of work for a $25 liner.
                  Well, when the machine starts fussing at you and it's a Sunday and you want to get further along or finish a job, or the LWS that's an hour or so away wants $55 (!!) for a liner, sometimes doing some 'creative' maintenance with what you have on hand can mean the difference between getting 'er done, or not. You've been there multiple times I'm bettin'. In my case, I believed I had acted way ahead of the curve by ordering (online) all the big consumables, only to find out some time later that some schmuck, or some automated machine, cut the liner too short. What'chya gonna do?!
                  Last edited by DougM; 09-11-2019, 06:57 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I was talking about the denatured alcohol flushing of the liner job.

                    And $55 is highway robbery!

                    I don’t recall what I paid for my liners, but I keep a spare for my machines in the shop for the Sunday afternoon *#%^! moments.

                    Smart thinking to stretch yours a little. And if it’s working, let the dog eat, I say.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by DougM View Post
                      Well Bob, that begs the question of where and what brand of wire of that type should we purchase to ensure good welding characteristics?! I've heard this before (LE L-56 being junk), but didn't think too much about it since I've never had many problems with it as long as my machine was working well.
                      Thanks
                      I can't answer that. I actually like the cheap junk. I have worked for so many cheap bastarts over the last 40 years i got good with the junk...Bob
                      Bob Wright

                      Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I use 20-30 liners a year. I had a batch of 15' liners that were too short. Luckily I can use them when I get 10' guns.
                        I switched to Radnor and they are at least 18'. No this is not a plug for Radnor, just saying.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          20-30 liners a year?!

                          Stop walking on your lead, brother!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by DougM View Post
                            Well Bob, that begs the question of where and what brand of wire of that type should we purchase to ensure good welding characteristics?! I've heard this before (LE L-56 being junk), but didn't think too much about it since I've never had many problems with it as long as my machine was working well.
                            Thanks
                            Doug this is what I have always used in all three of my MM mig machines and I have never experienced a problem with it. I'
                            ve used it for so long I don't think to order a different brand.

                            https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ncolnElectric)

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              20-30 liners a year?!

                              Stop walking on your lead, brother!
                              I'm a technician that repairs welding machines. That's what my handle is 1997CST. I'm a Certified Service Tech by Miller since 1997.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by DougM View Post

                                Well, when the machine starts fussing at you and it's a Sunday and you want to get further along or finish a job, or the LWS that's an hour or so away wants $55 (!!) for a liner, sometimes doing some 'creative' maintenance with what you have on hand can mean the difference between getting 'er done, or not. You've been there multiple times I'm bettin'. In my case, I believed I had acted way ahead of the curve by ordering (online) all the big consumables, only to find out some time later that some schmuck, or some automated machine, cut the liner too short. What'chya gonna do?!
                                Doug, I thinking for a test, you may be able to cut off a portion of the old liner and solder it to the new one, Yes?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X