Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roughneck 1 Low Excitation DC Voltage, No Output At All - HELP!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Yup, that right there is a Standard Kohler K-34? engine.
    Before anything else, be real careful what oil you put in them. I have 4 blown up K-341s sitting on the pile, and when the rod lets go it takes out the timing gears and anything else it can find in the crankcase.

    WHY did they design it that way? How about because they could and more because it worked, and because the Miller Brothers weren't held back by twerps in ties & suits. There was enough power available from the wire going to the points to trigger the rotor to produce more power and excite the machine without killing spark to the engine, why not use it? Ain't all that different from Ryan plugging a drill motor in and spinning the chuck to excite a machine, it works so why not?

    Pretty much like how Miller Bros came up with the FIRST successful way to weld copper leads to aluminum windings, they got lucky before Lincoln got lucky. That was in the 1960s.

    That's how things were done in the 60s and 70s before ALL the college kids arrived and took over.

    BTW, as I said, clean up the coil lamination faces, and the magnet faces and also the terminal on the wire from coil to the block. Do NOT move the coil in the process or use power tools. All that rust has cut your coil output by half.

    The way you pulled the flywheel is pretty much Kohler procedure. Only move you didn't know was to slap the end of the puller screw indexed into the crankshaft square on with a delicate touch from a 4# hammer to shock the flywheel off.

    Apply half a drop of Franz© Miracle Rust Abater to the faces of the laminations and magnets along with the shaft prior to reassembly, massage into the laminations, and wipe off with a clean paper towel. Contact Takit Distribution for the product.
    Last edited by Franz©; 09-09-2019, 02:24 PM.

    Comment


    • #47
      just a quick update.. ive been busy at work so not done a lot of troubleshooting...
      I did try the drill trick and nothing, so I tested the output possibility of my old drill on my meter and when I spin it I get sod all anyway, so that was pointless.
      I need to find something that does put something out when spun by hand and try it again.
      I checked a couple of diodes D12, D5 and D8 and those three checked out ok. So im going to now try the 8 rectifier arranged diodes and see if any of those are at fault.

      Comment


      • #48
        You'll see results faster if you disconnect the leads going to the slip rings and apply 1.5 volts from a flashlight battery to the brushes feeding the slip rings.

        Comment

        Working...
        X