Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plasma cutter

I'm looking at the spectrum 125C and the Spec. Sheet shows a 230V CE model
    stock # 907-169 but I can't get any info off Miller's web site about it. Can anybody tell me about it?

if you have 220V available you should look to the spec375 you will get much greater cut capacity and the consumables are cheaper as well, it will require an outside air suply though as the spec375 dose not have its own air comp. built in.

i have had the spec 125C for almost a year now and have been verry happy with it, compact, quiet and verry powerfull
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

I have to total agree with FUN4NOW on this one.I have had the earlier version of this,the Spectrum cutmate 300, for a few years now and it is a flawless workhorse.It has had some pretty rough use and still cuts like new.I keep mine hooked to 220V most of the time,but it is switchable to 110V.The problem with 110V is that,this machine needs 30amps of 110 to run at max capacity,so rather than keep the machine turned down all the time and lose cutting capacity,I just leave it hooked to 220V.I did not want to run a 30 110V circuit just for this machine.I would reccomend this class of machine to anyone,I know that I have sure been impressed with mine.

tooldude56

Comment

I have the 230V CE model of the Spectrum 125. It is based upon the Canandian Electrical Code (?) 50 or 60 hz... Got it from IOC. All I have is 240 in the shed... Bought it because I needed small & PORTABLE unit for sheetmetal. It also keeps it from being borrowed!!! ;-) ;-) ;-) I have a series of jumpers to fit into almost any 220/240 terminal. Works flawless for what it is intended for! If you want it for much more than 1/8" steel or 10 gage stainless, etc... please get something larger. 'Tis great within its limitations.
        Russ
        MM175, 300/200 Thunderbolt,
        M125c baby plasma,
        BWE (red flames),
        Victor Super-Range O2/Fuel,
        and lots-of-junk slowly being replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
          if you have 220V available you should look to the spec375 you will get much greater cut capacity and the consumables are cheaper as well, it will require an outside air suply though as the spec375 dose not have its own air comp. built in.

i have had the spec 125C for almost a year now and have been verry happy with it, compact, quiet and verry powerfull
          I like that it has a build in compresser. It makes it more portable and the higher voltage is no problem i just thought it would have a better duty cycle? I would like to see the spec. sheet on it 125C vs 125CE

Comment

Originally posted by tommyd
            I like that it has a build in compresser. It makes it more portable and the higher voltage is no problem i just thought it would have a better duty cycle? I would like to see the spec. sheet on it 125C vs 125CE
            Tommyd.
            Same duty cycle, uses 1/2 the amps (per leg). Slightly heavier unit tho... Being portable is its greatest asset. I may or may not be correct but, I've always envisioned an item running on 220/240 running cooler or more efficient that same item running on 110/120. If I had this unit setup for 110/120, I'd never know where it was at !!!!! - too many kids, grandkids, & family would be tossing it in the back of their pickups or trunks ;-/ I have two 50' extension cords setup for it (& others).
            Russ
            M125c baby plasma,
            BWE (red flames),

Comment

Originally posted by nnn0rau
              Tommyd.
              Same duty cycle, uses 1/2 the amps (per leg). Slightly heavier unit tho... Being portable is its greatest asset. I may or may not be correct but, I've always envisioned an item running on 220/240 running cooler or more efficient that same item running on 110/120. If I had this unit setup for 110/120, I'd never know where it was at !!!!! - too many kids, grandkids, & family would be tossing it in the back of their pickups or trunks ;-/ I have two 50' extension cords setup for it (& others).
              have you ever cut any 3/16 with it?

Comment

Originally posted by tommyd
                have you ever cut any 3/16 with it?
                yes... it'll work IF you take it VERY slow and easy and your tip is in decent shape... 3/16 is toward the max side of this unit. I only use my 125 for precision work. Most of my cutting with it is with 10, 16 or 18 gauge etc. Have a very nice O2/fuel torch for the larger stuff. If 3/16 or larger is a majority of your work and/or, you're in a hurry - I would recommend a larger unit. I am happy with mine as-is due to my application(s).
                Russ
                M125c baby plasma,
                BWE (red flames),

Comment

yes... it'll work IF you take it VERY slow and easy and your tip is in decent shape... 3/16 is toward the max side of this unit. I only use my 125 for precision work. Most of my cutting with it is with 10, 16 or 18 gauge etc. Have a very nice O2/fuel torch for the larger stuff. If 3/16 or larger is a majority of your work and/or, you're in a hurry - I would recommend a larger unit. I am happy with mine as-is due to my application(s).
                  1/8 to 3/16 square tubing is what i would be cutting and a unit with its own compresser is what I'm looking for so i don't have to lug around a compresser

Comment

Best wishes with your decision... It'll work if your not in-a-hurry.
                    A decent chop saw may be another consideration.
                    Russ
                    M125c baby plasma,
                    BWE (red flames),

Comment

Best wishes with your decision... It'll work if your not in-a-hurry.
                      A decent chop saw may be another consideration.
                      I would be using it to cut out old rusted tubing in hand railing were band saws, chop saws, grinders want work.

Comment

3/16 square tubing is not going to be verry good at, a nice saw sall would be the ticket. as for the 1/8" it will do nicely. but on the 3/16 you will have a lot more cleanup if looking to reinstall a new rail. a sawsall would cut smooth and strait along the bottem/top rail and leave it ready for a new 1 to be welded in.

i realy like my 125 but would use my sawsal first in your aplication.
                        as for precision work on up to 10gage it is sweet (see pic)
                        Attached Files
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Agree with fun4now.

I concur with fun4now about the saw. I have cut 2", 3/16 sq tube with a DeWalt variable speed sawzall accurately and cleanly free hand as well as cast iron 3" pipe. It will cut faster if not just as fast than the portable plasma.
                          MM251
                          Synchrowave 200

PowerMax380
                          Victor O/A
                          Century 155GS
                          Big Window Elite

Run silent, run deep

Comment

Fun4Now, OldNavy,

Do you recommend any particular blade for the sawzall???
                            For rusty stuff, seems like an ideal solution for some of my projects as well.
                            thx
                            Russ
                            M125c baby plasma,
                            BWE (red flames),

Comment

i use Morse bi-metal blades 14teeth per inch. I think most blades are about the same, i use Morse because i got 150 of then for $40.00 off e-bay. if you look and watch for a wile you can get some sweet deals. it took me about 2weeks to get a large batch within my $$$$ cash range but it realy is nice to have a bunch around and not get caut short in the middle, not to mention $0.26 each is prity hard to beat . i was trying for a wile to get just Milwaulkee or dewalt blades but they are harder to find in big enough quantitys to be afordable . the sawsal is a great tool and sees alot of use in my shop as it is quick and can be real acurat or atleast close enough that a sanding disk can finish it off . i have 3 a milwaukee, a dewalt and a portacable. my milwaukee is the oldest about 15 years old and the portacable and dewalt are bolth about 2 or 3 years old. the portacable being my favorate they realy are a verry versatal cutter. i have even used mine to trim some of the larger limbs off the trees

a bycicle hanging hook from walmart will alow you to hang them up where they are handy and out of the way (see pic)
                              Attached Files
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              JAMES

Comment

Working...
                              X