Bobcat 225 AC TIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat 225 AC TIG

Anyone manage to TIG aluminum using AC off the machine? As far as I understand without HF start it wouldn’t work well.

No, but I'd be in agreement it wouldn't work well. That's why they sell those HF boxes as an add on. Won't be great, but depending on your standards for excellence, do able to some degree.

Comment

I was planning to get a bobcat and use my HF251-D, which is the HF box for that machine, and several far more experienced guys suggested it would work, but only just. The recommendation was to use the generator to power a dedicated machine for tig aluminum. As I recall from that thread years ago, it could get you by in a pinch, but you wouldn’t want to go charge people money for the quality of that product.

Where are you located? If you’re nearby, I’d let you try my HF box out for yourself. I should actually sell it to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        I was planning to get a bobcat and use my HF251-D, which is the HF box for that machine, and several far more experienced guys suggested it would work, but only just. The recommendation was to use the generator to power a dedicated machine for tig aluminum. As I recall from that thread years ago, it could get you by in a pinch, but you wouldn’t want to go charge people money for the quality of that product.

Where are you located? If you’re nearby, I’d let you try my HF box out for yourself. I should actually sell it to be honest.
        Ah, I see. Some sort of machine with AC from the aux power would make sense. I think the manual calls for “non-critical” ac welding. I’m over in Oregon.

Comment

Eeek!! Well unless you take a road trip to the armpit....uh hem, I mean the gulf coast of southeast Texas....

Comment

No remote amp control on a bobcat neither.
            Lincoln Idealarc 250
            Miller Bobcat 250
            Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
            Torchmate CNC table

Comment

I have a 225 Bobcat nt and had a friend give me a HF251-D. I figured it would work in a pinch if in the field somewhere with out power. I have messed around with it once and was not to impressed with it. It no way compares to a Dynasty or dedicated ac tig machine. Not having the 14 pin plug is an issue some what but I normally run a button on my rig so not worried about the foot control. It dose work though. Not ideal but works. I have a dynasty 210 now for portable stuff and much rather run it than mess around with the HF box. I am a little leery of running the dynasty off the bobcat though.

Comment

Don’t get why the bobcat doesn’t have a 14 pin remote but the trailblazer does.

Comment

Don’t get why the bobcat doesn’t have a 14 pin remote but the trailblazer does.
                  Just one of those things you get when you pay a little more.

Comment

Ya, I’d pay more for a bobcat with a 14 pin remote too though.

Comment

With a little thought, it should be possible to add at least remote current control without a whole lot of effort, I would think. Just never had the need.

Comment

Ya, I’d pay more for a bobcat with a 14 pin remote too though.
                        Pray tell, what would you expect the 14 pin remote port to do on a Bobus Catus?

Without opening my book I think on/off of the exciter would be possible for Heliarc & possibly Mig if you also install a panel/remote switch. Probably reote the fine adjustment as well with a bit more effort, but having owned a Bobus since 2002, I have yet to find the need for remote control.

Comment

I have a Bobcat 225 NT and I have used a lincoln HF box for AC tig. It works just fine. As far as the 251 Miller box as mentioned its for a machine like the Trailblazer that has the 14 pin connection. There are also other after market HF boxes that can be used as well. I have a 3 miller portable welders a Trailbalzer 250 and also a 302. Hope this answers your question about the Bobcat.
                          Trailblazer 250G
                          Bobcat 225
                          Miller 150 STL
                          Lincoln SA-200
                          Miller XMT 304
                          Lincoln Squarewave 355
                          Lincoln 140C
                          Lincoln 170T
                          Miller S-22A feeder
                          Miller 30A Spoolgun
                          Miller XR-15
                          Lincoln LN-25's
                          Hypetherm 380
                          Trailblazer 302
                          Spectrum 875
                          Just to mention a few

Comment

This is one of those questions that when you answer it, it's going to depend on your age, experience, the equipment you've used, and what you've done to fabricate or repair.

If you've never welded with a droopy sinewave, a lack of polarity balance control, the ability to adjust frequency, and do, I think it could be called disappointing for a first experience.
                            A reasonable skilled welder on some clean aluminum, no problem. A skilled welder on dirty cast Aluminum, no problem, just more cleaning. But you get a guy who isn't as experienced, grew up on sunshine and Inverters, he might say it didn't work well. Just want to clarify that point I made.

Comment

Noel, I agree with your statement as “ It depends on a lot of things” I’m not disagreeing with everything you said. I was answering the posters question as to Tig Aluminum with a Bobcat tig. I’m 64 and been welding for 40 years. I have several machines. I also own a Dynasty 200 and a Lincoln Square wave 200 and a Lincoln 355.And I won the Esab 205 give a way this past December. Wave form and being able to have adjustable capabilities was not even heard of not to many years ago. Welding machines have come along way in the past 20 years. I figured the poster has a Bobcat 225. If I needed to weld some aluminum nothing thicker then 1/4” and all I had at hand was the Bobcat 225 With a Hi Freq box I’m sure it would work for me and not everyone depending on there skill level. Again I agree with your input.
                              Trailblazer 250G
                              Bobcat 225
                              Miller 150 STL
                              Lincoln SA-200
                              Miller XMT 304
                              Lincoln Squarewave 355
                              Lincoln 140C
                              Lincoln 170T
                              Miller S-22A feeder
                              Miller 30A Spoolgun
                              Miller XR-15
                              Lincoln LN-25's