Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

120,317 views, 37 responses, zero likes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120,317 views, 37 responses, zero likes?

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/motorsports/15957-best-welding-rod-tig-for-welding-4130-chromoly-tubing

I don't think buddy has been back since, but that one post generated a serious viewer interest. Post #30. Where did this guy go? I like him.

Arc Light recently added to it. That post now has a like. Mine.
    I wanted to share that I like what he wrote in contribution after all those years had passed.

I haven't given any likes away that I didn't think were deserving but for good reason and usually plenty of. I have clicked that button.
    I liked because he still contributed,
    took the time to offer his opinions, knowledge, heck, I liked the explanation given and the stuff he mentioned.

I'm not going to drop any names but a couple old timers who posted to that original posting were 10 years younger then. Where does the time go?

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0128.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	601416Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0127.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	601417Click image for larger version

Name:	Steel In Motion 20141028-M.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	601418

I usually don't comment on anything i know zip about....Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

4130 chromoly will almost always generate a lot of interest/talk/etc.

Fixed the link for everyone's convenience: Best welding rod (tig) for welding 4130 chromoly tubing

Last edited by OscarJr; 08-31-2019, 12:30 PM.
      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Interestingly that first pic looks like O/A welding tube like we did i Maynard Troyer's shop back before Heliarc machines arrived i the shop.

There was a lot of argument back when Heliarc arrived which process produced the better weld, and a bunch of ripping weldments apart in the big press too. I strongly recommend a double layer of moving blankets surrounding the object being ripped apart.

Comment

It probably looked like a lot of shops back in the day although I doubt many were building dragster frames. What amazes me is what people created with out GTAW and fancy equipment in home garages.

Name:	old drag (11).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	601431Click image for larger version

Name:	old drag (9).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	601432Click image for larger version

Name:	old drag (17).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	601433

As far as which produces a better weld, describe better? Is better a faster weld? Costs less to produce? Cleaner? Less heat input? Maybe it's in the heat effected zone that we decide? Or in operator skill and knowledge of the process to do the job? I would have enjoyed watch those tests of destruction. The mention of moving blankets reminds me I have one of those around as well. Stuff a guy keeps when he doesn't move? Guess it could serve a purpose yet?

What I noticed lacking was deeper conversation about the HAZ and effects of GTAW welding effecting grain growth and grain structure. Why that material broke cleanly in a brittle fracture rather then torn as they were stressed from fatigue and strain, that in my opinion was the result of metallurgical changes from welding. GTAW cools quicker, the HAZ is more abrupt, and that fracture was brittleness from cooling quicker.

Name:	Tempil  Iron Carbon diagram.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	601434Click image for larger version

Name:	172795-3dbad1d8fffd734ac722f3aa86596b05.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	601435This stuff called welding really isn't that complicated if you don't think past sticking two pieces together. If you do, that's when it does. When you look at the last picture, the changes in the welds appearance, the temper colors of heat input and heat transfer, add the word metallurgy in to answering how'd I do, it gets more complicated. Make it 4130 not mild steel and it gets worse.

Comment

Presses & winch cables are the 2 prime reasons a movers blanket rides in my truck. It can also keep me warm if the need arises, and serve as padding if needed. Fits nicely in one of those complementary zipper bags people give out too. Also makes a halfway decent pillow should I need it.

I've been amazed a time or two as people went running away from the press as the needle passed 50 tons. Something always gives. Once in a while it's a cylinder seal and that blanket catches the oil just fine. Generally gets replaced too, but the oily one makes a nice bonfire.

Comment

I had a 70 GMC 1/2 ton that had a vinyl seat, I know the value of a moving blanket in the winter. Mines wrapped in a plastic bag in a garage locker and I haven't owned a vehicle with vinyl seats since that truck,

Comment

64Bowtie came with the gray iceburg.
                1st improvement was replacing the shifter with a Hurst so it could be shifted leaving the house.
                2nd iprovement was a pair of VW bucket seats from a 65 Beetle. Krauts made good seats.

Turned out insurance companies paid for a lot of them when people parked their bug at a movie and came out to find the sets missing. Best I recal the going price was 10-15 bucks a seat depending on upholstery.

Nothing wakes you up like GM plastic meeting up with thin uniform pants.

Comment

I don't think I've ever sat in a VW? I'm going to have to check those seats out. So what size of wrench do I need?

Comment

Interesting rebuild of VW seats, part 1 and 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X81qKEh6Jo

Comment

Vega seats were the hit when i was a kid. Junkyards were full of them...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I sold the buckets out of my 66 Chevelle for a stupid amount of money to some guy restoring a car to original glory. Some of these parts are like money in the bank. A time will come when I'll go looking for replacement and when I do, they will be cloth, comfortable, adjustable and heated. I'm putting my butt on modern and saying no to vinyl.

Comment

As I recall from my supplier Lee, Big Screwdriver.
                          Something about slide the seat all the way back bend 2 tabs slide forward and off disconnecting some spring on the way.
                          65 was the first year with the high back seat in VW.

I had a pile of NEA 56 motor bases that were perfect for the rise in height needed so I used them. Put together a center console out of plywood and covered that with vinyl. Rode good and didn't look bad. If I recall correctly that set cost me a couple hours hooking up Lee's flashbulbs across his rear bumper and package shelf in his 409 Impaler. Lee could uild fast, and he could drive pretty well fast, but he couldn't wire to save his butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
                            I sold the buckets out of my 66 Chevelle for a stupid amount of money to some guy restoring a car to original glory. Some of these parts are like money in the bank. A time will come when I'll go looking for replacement and when I do, they will be cloth, comfortable, adjustable and heated. I'm putting my butt on modern and saying no to vinyl.
                            Noel,Carlos Montalban feels the Corinthian leather seats that were in Chrysler Cordobas were the most comfortable seats on the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsg97bxuJnc

Comment

Comfort tends to be a function of the azz of the beseated Tack.

Me, as long as a busted spring ain't poking me and I ain't gotta walk pretty much any seat will work.

Little woman got her 13 Sonata in April and had to wait months to test the heated seat. Didn't mean a lot to me since I only drove HER car about a quarter mile and sat the shotgun seat from then on. Come Winter she decides to drive someplace and I ask where the switch is for the seat heater since Mrs CHEAP don't warm the car up to save gas. I was INFORMED the shotgun seat isn't heated. I was heartbroken.

Comment

Working...
                              X