No announcement yet.

TIG welding with an arc welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You’re so smart. I’m glad we have you to help others with their needs. At least you don’t mind in running the forum into the ground. That’s something to be proud of.

Comment

I swear every person that doesen't know how to weld says "Just needs a couple of tacks, shouldn't take long"

They bring it and it's like..... How on earth could anyone be so stupid to only tack this, do some stitch welds like 2-3" long instead of tacks and it'' have to break in half before failing.

Just amazes me sometimes and people see these ****ty tack welds EVERYWHERE thinking that's how it should be.

Someone brought me a heat shield for an industrial sheet folding.pressing machine since it wouldn't work without it. It was like a flat piece of sheet with a pipe on it, sheetmetal though. Asks me if I can make it straight and just "tack it back on", should just be 10 minutes.

3 hours later, I ended up cutting off the pipe section, flipping it around and welding that back on since the original end was so warped.

Amazes me.
      if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Originally posted by Olivero View Post
        I swear every person that doesen't know how to weld says "Just needs a couple of tacks, shouldn't take long"

They bring it and it's like..... How on earth could anyone be so stupid to only tack this, do some stitch welds like 2-3" long instead of tacks and it'' have to break in half before failing.

Just amazes me sometimes and people see these ****ty tack welds EVERYWHERE thinking that's how it should be.

Someone brought me a heat shield for an industrial sheet folding.pressing machine since it wouldn't work without it. It was like a flat piece of sheet with a pipe on it, sheetmetal though. Asks me if I can make it straight and just "tack it back on", should just be 10 minutes.

3 hours later, I ended up cutting off the pipe section, flipping it around and welding that back on since the original end was so warped.

Amazes me.
        Did he tell you how much a minute it was costing him for the machine being nonfunctional as he carried it in? I loved those guys.
        #2 on the hit parade were the guys who needed the exact time it would be back up and running so they could decide if the people standing around should be sent home to save money.
        #3 was the guy with the Cannon 35mm camera, 6 lenses and a strobe the size of a prison tower searchlight. I could sense when those guys locked eyeball to viewfinder, STRIKE ARC. They were slow learners.

Comment

Haha, yeah no info on the money it cost to have it down.

They're funny, I did have someone ask me how long the weld had to dry for, no joke, he was dead serious about it.

Comment

You ain’t foolin nobody, Oli....that was you telling someone that your welds had to dry. And knowing your welds, probably good advice.

Comment

Lol.

My welds need about 10 minutes to dry then they're good.

Comment

I mix a generous serving of buhlchitium into my welds...it’s a catalyst that makes them dry faster.

Comment

I'm sure it does.

Does it make your welds last longer than 5 minutes?

Comment

Soon as they come down to temperature for the R-COTE to be sprayed on and bake in place rather than burn off the weld is good to go.
                    The new spray powder R-COTE has a very narrow melt on -v- Burn off differential.

Comment

Originally posted by Olivero View Post

Amazes me.
                      I tack welded this sod cutter together, I was going to back over it and make longer beads, but after I drove the 1" EMT handle over the 3/4" black pipe stub with a three pound beater about two hard inches by laying the angle's flange over the edge of the welding table, I said that thing don't need no more weld on it, and the tacks will provide traction to the sole of a boot. I thinks the blade is 13" of 11 gauge ​ .

Comment

5 minutes?! Your expectations are far too high.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                          5 minutes?! Your expectations are far too high.
                          You're right. I just wanted to try and be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post

I tack welded this sod cutter together, I was going to back over it and make longer beads, but after I drove the 1" EMT handle over the 3/4" black pipe stub with a three pound beater about two hard inches by laying the angle's flange over the edge of the welding table, I said that thing don't need no more weld on it, and the tacks will provide traction to the sole of a boot. I thinks the blade is 13" of 11 gauge [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-tempid":"temp_38565_1565906780686_883"**[/ATTACH][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/forum.millerwelds.com\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="**[/IMG2]​ .
                            Sure, It'd still do 1/2" stitch welds over tacks, personally.

Comment

That’s about all the welding you’re capable of anyways....any more than that, you break a sweat and mess up your pretty hair.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post

I tack welded this sod cutter together, I was going to back over it and make longer beads, but after I drove the 1" EMT handle over the 3/4" black pipe stub with a three pound beater about two hard inches by laying the angle's flange over the edge of the welding table, I said that thing don't need no more weld on it, and the tacks will provide traction to the sole of a boot. I thinks the blade is 13" of 11 gauge [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-tempid":"temp_38565_1565906780686_883"**[/ATTACH][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/forum.millerwelds.com\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="**[/IMG2]​ .
                                I think you did good and plenty. Just like the candy.

Comment

Working...
                                X