No announcement yet.

TIG welding with an arc welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this the other day. I read reviews and it seems like kinda common problem, is it worth getting into this? this machine is about an hour away from me and my LWS is close by and he does good work.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls...946903726.html

Comment

I've done DCEP with Ar/He mix (90/10?) using 1/8 Tungsten on 1/8" cast aluminum (oil pan). Was the only way I could get enough "cleaning" action to be able to weld it. Weld with no filler along an area to boil the crap to the top, brush it off, repeat a minimum of 4 times before it didn't look like lava rock, then start adding filler. Found that if you only did one cleaning pass and then started adding filler on the 2nd pass, it diluted the base material enough where on the third pass you could start to attach the two pieces, but it typically required at least 4-5 passes to get a good "weld" on it. After the 2nd pass, you could switch back to A/C to get enough heat in it so that it didn't drip the tungsten off and weld a bit more normally. In DCEP with 1/8 tungsten, there was a pretty narrow window where you could get a puddle, but not be dripping tungsten off. Needed to use the Ar/He mix to get the arc hot enough without melting the tungsten, straight 100% Ar wouldn't puddle before the tungsten started dripping in DCEP. Boy does the He mix make the arc wander! Never tried 100% He, but that's got to be tough!

Like others have mentioned, if it's all you have, give it a try, but don't expect a miracle - best to use a dedicated A/C machine with HF.

Comment

Originally posted by breavis View Post
        Found this the other day. I read reviews and it seems like kinda common problem, is it worth getting into this? this machine is about an hour away from me and my LWS is close by and he does good work.

I wouldn't bother. You can get an everlast for $1200 and it has more control then a diversion.
        https://www.everlastgenerators.com/p...powertig-200dv
        www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
        Miller extreme 12vs
        Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
        Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

The diversion is on the small side anyway. Low duty cycle, special foot pedal. I can’t imagine repairing one would be worth it. Unless it’s free, then I MIGHT pick it up. If it was free AND delivered, I’d take it.

Comment

Originally posted by breavis View Post

I wouldn't waste my time with that. It will more than likely fail again in the same manner and it's too weak to do very much.
            I feel the problem with using a super low cost set-up is you really need to be a "pro" to use them.
            I fooled around with buzz box tig for a bit and used a freek box with it. It was crap IMO. It simply isn't stable enough to do a decent job. The welds will never be pretty.
            If you had a Dialarc without HF they are crude as you wanna get. I used a Bobcat with a freek box for a long while.
            Bottom line is you can't get your time wasted back!!
            I believe Ryan described it best. When you get going good you can't dial it back while welding. It's too hot. Even when you use DC on aluminum you still want HF and variable amperage control.
            Aluminum take way more amps to tig than steel and it will trash a buzz box in a short while if used a lot. Miller did make some that were designed for that purpose but IMO they were still crude junk that you needed to already be proficient to use.
            Econo-Tig was about as low on the scale as I would recommend, They were a transformer and lasted well. Just a bit too weak for my needs.
            Find an old robust machine from the 70's designed for tig and you will be golden
            Otherwise break the piggy bank and buy a Dynasty

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I use a Dynasty 200 DX for all my needs in the shop.

One of the small Maxstars for the stuff out in the world.
              if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Be patient and keep your eye on the used market. Something will pop up.

Comment

"Only issue is foot pedal clip that goes in machine does not clip in from small plastic piece being broke but could easily be re wired". Gotta love people that know how easy it is to fix things..Bob
                  Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Like when your sort-of-buddy calls and says, “man, all it needs are few tack welds and it’ll be fine.”

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      Like when your sort-of-buddy calls and says, “man, all it needs are few tack welds and it’ll be fine.”
                      That's about every customer I get !!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

....four hours later....”your $60/hr tack welds are done.....”

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

That's about every customer I get !!
                          You too!? Ive been tempted to take the sign down by the road because those are the type of customers it brings in.
                          www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
                          Miller extreme 12vs
                          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
                          Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Welded a blade arm back on a mortar mixer for a mason years back. He asked me how long the weld had to set up before he could use the machine.

Think he teaches weldung over on the welderbaiter site now.

Comment

What’s weird, Franz, is that every post you make somehow has something to do with how much smarter you are than someone else. Even your pals are included in that lineup. Strange. I was unaware that a single man on earth could be so omnipotent.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                                What’s weird, Franz, is that every post you make somehow has something to do with how much smarter you are than someone else. Even your pals are included in that lineup. Strange. I was unaware that a single man on earth could be so omnipotent.
                                Barely D quality material from your lofty command of men Ryan.
                                Take another shot on the house.

While you're pondering mayhaps you can work up a short video on how to slide the arc off a copper slug next to the weld so you don't contaminate the Tungsten and can run some inches.
                                I'd really enjoy seeing that. might even pass it along.

Comment

Working...
                                X