TIG welding with an arc welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG welding with an arc welder

I have a ac/DC buzzbox and I've saw videos on how to rig it to TIG weld and I've done a bit of welding this way on dc-. I've heard you can't weld aluminum this way, I was led to believe it wouldn't arc, but while working on something else I did get an arc on aluminum but the weld looked bad. Is that because this isn't the way to do aluminum or is there something else I can do? The piece in the picture is 1/8 angle iron, 15 cfh argon, 3/32 rod

Aluminum likes the polarity reversal of AC for it's cleaning action to remove the oxides, and not burning up the tungsten, but DC is possible for a skilled person. You need FusionKing to weigh in here. I've never tried it, but I suspect you might need helium.

Jody has a writeup on it here:

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...-using-dc.html

Comment

You weren't on ac if you managed to strike an arc. On ac you need high frequency to keep the arc going every time it switches polarity. Dcen with helium would work somewhat but you wont get good looking or clean welds. It would be used more on thick sections of aluminum.
      www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
      Miller extreme 12vs
      Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
      Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

DCEN with 100% helium does work, my former employer told me he is making x-ray welds using this method, although I have not seen his work.

I have in years passed, welded Al with DCEN and helium
        Richard

Comment

Follow the bouncing ball.
          Original patented nomenclature for TIG process is Heliarc.
          It stayed Heliarc into the 60s, and companies wishing to market Heliarc machines paid a licensing fee per machine.
          HeliArc = Helium gas + DC.

Somebody came along and figured out the process could be done cheaper with Argon and named their process TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas)

The name Heliarc fell into disuse.

Comment

Ive heard about using helium for this but it puts out a lot of heat so anything under 1/8 wouldn't work, which I don't plan to do much. I have heard a 75/25 argon/helium mix may be better.

Comment

Originally posted by breavis View Post
              I have a ac/DC buzzbox and I've saw videos on how to rig it to TIG weld and I've done a bit of welding this way on dc-. I've heard you can't weld aluminum this way, I was led to believe it wouldn't arc, but while working on something else I did get an arc on aluminum but the weld looked bad. Is that because this isn't the way to do aluminum or is there something else I can do? The piece in the picture is 1/8 angle iron, 15 cfh argon, 3/32 rod
              I think there's a bit more to be said about the things that everyone else has said, yet really, enough has been said so why bother is the approach I'm going to take. Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	600675 Truth be told I'm a bit under the weather. However, I'm hoping the bit more to be said will still come along, because we are close, so very close to wrapping it all up and tieing on a bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post

I think there's a bit more to be said about the things that everyone else has said, yet really, enough has been said so why bother is the approach I'm going to take. [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":600675**[/ATTACH] Truth be told I'm a bit under the weather. However, I'm hoping the bit more to be said will still come along, because we are close, so very close to wrapping it all up and tieing on a bow.
                Hope you fell better Noel.

Comment

Don't use a new buzz box for Tig. The Miller rep said they have them stacked like firewood with warranty issues from people using them as a Tig and the transformers weren't designed heavy enough for that. And they weren't covered...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                    Don't use a new buzz box for Tig. The Miller rep said they have them stacked like firewood with warranty issues from people using them as a Tig and the transformers weren't designed heavy enough for that. And they weren't covered...Bob
                    Reminiscent of the famed MM-250 machines that sent so many blue customers to the Red store and left dealers holding the bag.

Noel was partying and sniffed the Argon instead of the Helium again. He needs to put his glasses on before sniffing.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post

Reminiscent of the famed MM-250 machines that sent so many blue customers to the Red store and left dealers holding the bag.

Noel was partying and sniffed the Argon instead of the Helium again. He needs to put his glasses on before sniffing.
                      I was one of those MM250 owners that told miller to come and pick it up, the bead was tall and wouldn't flatten out.. The welding supply I bought the MM250 from sent the Miller Area rep out "In those days they had area reps, I don't believe they do today" he made a deal with me for a 250 Regency, a gun, and a Miller 22 A wire feeder and all cables in exchange.
                      Last edited by tackit; 08-11-2019, 02:52 AM.

Comment

My first aluminum tig setup was a miller thunderbolt and a high freq box. The short version is after failing to take advise of others, I threw good money after bad to scratch start tig aluminum with HF AC tig. It worked-ish, meaning you could weld a little ways until the aluminum got too hot and without being able to back off the heat, you stop or make a mess.

Save your money for a capable machine instead of trying to push that rope down the street.

Comment

Heli-Arc. Helium Arc.

Mind absolutely blown. I had no idea, I thought it was just cool sounding. "Yeah, I Heliarc" Instead of "Yeah, I weld"

Anyways.

Get a real machine for A/C welding if you want to do aluminum, you can get a good Miller one or a cheap one, I'm sure they make them cheap still, I've seen some around but I only ever used Miller. Except for the one occasion I helped someone set up a Lincoln machine and tested it for them.

Ryan,

I know what's that like, everyone's telling you to throw it away and get a new one but you just keep pouring money into it wanting it to work.
                          if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                            My machine is a couple years old so no warranty issues

Comment

Ya man, that setup can get you by in a pinch, but not for any serious work. An ArcPig will do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X