• tackit
    Banned
    • Oct 2005

Beechcraft Barron

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	600641 aeronca, when I hit the lotto first thing I'm buying is a new Beechcraft Barron turbo prop, we'll pick up Franzy and give him a plane ride that will change his mind about flying.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tackit; 08-10-2019, 01:09 PM.
  • Aeronca41
    • Jun 2014

Yep--all it takes is money---Franz probably wouldn't go if you bought a helo.

Comment

• aametalmaster
      Chairman Of The Board
      • Sep 2005

I used to love the old Beech V tails
      Bob Wright

Comment

• tackit
        Banned
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
        Yep--all it takes is money---Franz probably wouldn't go if you bought a helo.
        Only if he built it himself...

Comment

• tackit
          Banned
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          They are nice. Click image for larger version

Name:	Beech-Bonanza-V35..jpg
Views:	267
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	600646

Comment

• Aeronca41
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
            Wonderful machines. The v-tail 35, standard tail 33, and the stretched 33, now called the 36, make up the longest-in-production plane in American aviation, I believe. When Cessna produced the 195, and Beech the 35, in the late 40s, they were from two different worlds. Cessna carried on the old, complete with the "Shaky Jake" radial engine (Jacobs R-755, right out of the 1930s), and Beech founded the new. Beech went for smaller, faster, lighter, modern with a flat 6 engine, while Cessna went for nostalgia, "Rolls-Royce of the air", understated class. Beech beat the pants off of them. Plus, the Cessna didn't have a 5-gallon oil tank just for show! The V-tail eventually developed a bad reputation for coming apart in the air, but I think a lot of that was people flying them into conditions they were never designed for. Ultimately, though, I'm pretty sure there was a point that the FAA required strengthening of the tail assembly; may have been an AD, but I don't remember. But, that tended to lower the price on a really nice well-performing airplane because some people were scared off.

Had a friend who had one, but lost it when it threw a rod through the case one day. No fault of the airplane; it can happen. He put it down with some damage, but still fixable. He, however, could not afford to do it and sold the parts.

Comment

• tackit
              Banned
              • Oct 2005

Check this beauty out, https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=avHr4emBGdk

Comment

• Aeronca41
                • Jun 2014

Very nice! Thanks for posting. Love those old Wacos! That's Waw-co, not Way-co like in Texas. Acronym from the Weaver Aircraft Company that built 'em, right in Bob's native Ohio. You can have one for anywhere from a quarter to half a million; as I always say, all it takes is money!

Comment

• Burnt hands
                  • Dec 2007

I believe the old Sky King TV show used Beechcraft.

Not sure which model.
                  Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

• Franz©
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2019

Yes, he did and Penny looked quite acceptable climbing in and out of that V tailed yaw machine.

Have to look next time I drive past the abandoned strip to see if Pats is still sitting there.

Comment

• tackit
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                      Yes, he did and Penny looked quite acceptable climbing in and out of that V tailed yaw machine.

Have to look next time I drive past the abandoned strip to see if Pats is still sitting there.
                      Franz, what abandon strip are you talking about? Sky king was show I hardly ever missed.

Comment

• Noel
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                        Very nice! Thanks for posting. Love those old Wacos! That's Waw-co, not Way-co like in Texas. Acronym from the Weaver Aircraft Company that built 'em, right in Bob's native Ohio. You can have one for anywhere from a quarter to half a million; as I always say, all it takes is money!
                        Crap...I've been saying it like the Texas. Well, thanks for the correction!

Comment

• Franz©
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by tackit View Post

Franz, what abandon strip are you talking about? Sky king was show I hardly ever missed.
                          Old private grass strip about 7 miles due South of me. Belonged to a crazed Kraut who nobody ever bothered to ask if he had a license. The day he took off in a Piper with a real fat guy in the back seat that sorta changed when he could only get enough UP to fly under the Primary wires.
                          I heard it took a week to clean out that back seat.

Back in the 60s there were private strips all around me. Harold with the Bell had a strip and half a dozen planes. There was another 3 miles East ran between an apple orchard and the Parkway, and Pat bought his own dozer to put a field another mile East. Town put a Stop Work Order on Pat so he hired the contractor working on the Parkway off the books and moved a lot of dirt over a long weekend. Pat didn't do a lick of work himself so he figured he was legal. Town really took a beating when Pat claimed the strip was for Agricultural Use. NY has Right to Farm Laws. Town became very aware of them Laws and the taxpayers paid Pat's lawyer.

Had another crazy trucker bought himself a Piper and read a book on how to fly. When 490 was being built He flew to and from work rather than drive since he could get up and back down on his farm after some rolling and filling in.

Now we just got 1 grass strip and that's mostly engine driven kites except for the annual pancake breakfast a bunch fly in for. Neighbors really get annoyed when the strip gets used in winter for snowmobile drag racing and speed trials. I'm waiting to learn how snowmobile racing is agricultural, but I'm sure it will be. County Agent is a good guy. Them sleds probably keep the strip packed from frost heaves.

Comment

• Aeronca41
                            • Jun 2014

As far as I can remember from kid days, Sky King's Songbird was always a Cessna; I never missed a show. Looked it up, and I remembered correctly. I can remember my dad talking about him flying a "Bamboo Bomber" (civilian designation Cessna T50 Bobcat; Military designation AT-17; there were several other military designations) in the early days, then he updated to a Cessna 310. To my knowledge, he never had a Beechcraft although the T50 looked a little like a Beech D18, and the 310 looked a bit like the Baron. Never had a V-tail Bonanza that I know of. I know wikipedia is not necessarily the last word in truth and accuracy, but it coincides with my memories.

Last edited by Aeronca41; 08-10-2019, 10:01 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

• Franz©
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2019

Tail I was looking at back then was on Penny, not the friggin aircontraption.

Sometimes I get a little concerned about you fly thru the air guys.

Point of Information; QUANTAS had some very finely sculpted tails on their jet propelled sky tubes, short miniskirts as well. I have no idea about the rudder configuration on them tubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X