Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U can't make frameless hulls from C channel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U can't make frameless hulls from C channel.

OK.
    Meet Dolomite 4 later renamed Nickeltainer by her second owner Chemical Marine.
    She is the longest ship to transit the NY State Barge Canal in 1939 under her own power. Making the turn at Albany onto the Mowhawk section to NYC for certification she had to be winched thru the turn. These pics are from her trip Pittsford NY to NY City for completion and certification. after being opened up so her frameless tanks could be lined with high Nickle SS and all her pumps and piping swapped out with Stainless. She would become the largest carrier of liquid caustic on the waves until Torpedoed by a German U boat.

She was also built with an on board boiler to clean the tanks after unloading. She ran aground outside Galveston in her first months, got towed off and returned to service with no repairs. Look closely and you can see the bent channel iron that comprised her entire hull. Also note the Lincoln welders on deck as she is being lined.
    Did I mention she was built inverted, deck down bottom up and rolled into the well which was originally Lock 62 on the Erie Canal.

Her propulsion was conventional Diesel and she was built to shed ice rather than accumulate it on deck and gain weight in Winter operation.
    Hew superstructure followed her on barges owned by Dolomite Navigation that normally carried limestone for converter furnaces. They were pushed by Dolomite Navigation tugs.

NY City Boilermakers were mightily annoyed to learn Dolomite 4 was plug + play requiring only a crane and an electrician to complete her.

Her sister Dolomite 3 slightly shorter followed a month later. They were the only ships completely built by Dolomite companies in Pittsford.

Bob screwed something up

Comment

So they just welded C-channel together to make the hull structure? Do I have that right? This is great stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
        So they just welded C-channel together to make the hull structure? Do I have that right? This is great stuff!
        Thats how river barges are made. C channel where the outside skin attaches top, sides and bottom. Then the interior cargo hold which is about 3' inside the outer walls is channel on the outside and a smooth box inside the channels. Braces running everywhere and they are all channel. The cargo boxes are about 15" of the bottom of the barge sitting on channel. Just think of a shoe box inside a bigger shoe box. The air space between the cargo hold and the barge sidewalls is just that. Thats what keeps them floating...Bob
        Last edited by aametalmaster; 08-07-2019, 03:59 PM.
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Ummm, not exactly Bob.
          Odenbach, actually John Catternac invented UNIBODY narges for more carry capacity and less dead weight.
          Fortunately Odenbach had a love of Patenting which continues to serve us today.
          https://patents.google.com/patent/US2018865 will give you the initial patent. There is another covering Caternac upscaling the Hosfelt bender to bend barge channels which made the rest possible.

Other Odenbach patents cover building hulls inverted and give very specific reference to electric welding of hulls. Odenbach looked to the future and licensing. When Kaiser started thinking about welded hulls Odenbach hauled him into Court and won. Kaiser next got the Boilermakers Union into the game trying to steal Odenbach's methods and the Boilermakers got to see the Judge.

Bracing is essentially nonexistant in Odenbach hulls. The ribs of the channel provide sufficient bracing along with compartment dividers. The key to the future was Catternac developing the bender from Hosfelt's design.

Comment

I see. I thought of that after i posted. Glad he didn't see my giant Hossfeld bender i made years ago...Bob
            Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
            http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

The statute of limitations has not expired on that bender doofloppy, Bob. Franzy there might rat you out. You know how toppers are, you are not allowed to know stuff they don’t.

Comment

Man, building one of those took a LOT of welding! That is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                  I see. I thought of that after i posted. Glad he didn't see my giant Hossfeld bender i made years ago...Bob
                  To my knowledge only 4 Odenbach benders were made.
                  2 lived in Rochester, 1 doing barges and it's bigger sister bending tanker hulls.
                  1 large bender went to Ojis Florida where Odenbach built a second yard too late to make money building tankers.
                  #4 went to a builder in Texas who was attempting to build Odenbach's design who never succeeded because of Union Boilermakers.

Quite a fure went on from 1941 till around 49 when the Government showed Odenbach the fine print in the contract. Rochester yard was repossessed and Uncle Sugar fought Odenbach to the US Supreme Court over that 40± acres with a canal, 3 locks and a 900+ foot enclosed crane.

Very few people understood why JH & Son fought so hard over an essentially abandoned Ford style ship production line. Nobody saw the plan for 1954 Odenbach had built for. What began in 1915 when 4 brothers closed their Summer Hotel and sold the bar and steam ferry because Prohibition was coming, ended in 52 without reaching the goal line.

73 tankers, a complete canal and locks, bunch of barges, 1 fishing boat, 1 yacht, and a bunch of cranes all flame cut and stick welded and 4 generations later the family hasn't a clue how Gramps and Uncle Mo made the money they spend today.

Comment

Working...
                  X