No announcement yet.

Which Material Cannot be welded by gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can still remember the old APX-6 IFF transponders that were developed either at the end of or just after WWII--Coast Guard had a lot of old stuff in the late 60s and early 70s!. The microwave T/R box assembly in them was so secret that there were places in the front panel to insert shotgun shell-like explosives that would blow the TR assembly to smithereens when you pushed a destruct button in the cockpit; last thing the pilot did before bailing out. Old-timers told of how, for a while, they were met by a truck from security at the end of the runway before takeoff and after landing to install and remove the transponders and be sure they were either in a vault or in a moving airplane. You can see the "Destructor" locations near the center and right of the picture.

Last edited by Aeronca41; 08-09-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I remember as a kid walking though the Military surplus store and thinking that stuff is cool. No clue what the stuff did or how it worked and functioned, but like most kids thinking buttons, dials and switches, that's cool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
        I remember as a kid walking though the Military surplus store and thinking that stuff is cool. No clue what the stuff did or how it worked and functioned, but like most kids thinking buttons, dials and switches, that's cool stuff.
        True, and boy, does it make me feel old when I think I used to repair that stuff! Next thing to being an unemployed buggy whip maker!

Comment

We had the dreamland of Amazing Bachman, formerly a flour mill redesignated to hold surplus primarily from WW-2. The sign was an Artillery range finder, and once I understood it my conclusion was the man sitting in that seat had to be the dumbest buzzard in the Army, till I met a counterbattery plotter from Camp Carol.

Bachman had acres of components and on Saturdays you could wander and handle. Bernie and Jerry maned the counter and Granny sat at the door keeping track of how many people were in the building so nobody got locked in. Bernie charged less than Jerry did.

City took the property for taxes in 2000 and spent a fortune hauling the contents to scrap.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the useful replies.

Comment

Working...
            X