No announcement yet.

Which Material Cannot be welded by gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Material Cannot be welded by gas?

As a newbie of welding, I just want to know which Material Cannot be welded by gas?

Originally posted by monu View Post
    As a newbie of welding, I just want to know which Material Cannot be welded by gas?
    I'm assuming by using the phrase "gas" you mean Oxygen and Acetylene.

I'm also going to assume that by using the term "Cannot", you are attaching it to joining materials with Oxygen and Acetylene gas with a degree of certainty it won't be done successfully.

I'm assuming as well
    you refer to a fusion weld being performed, not brazing, braze welding, low or high temp soldering or forging and as well not using a flux.
    With those assumptions, anything other then 1/8" or thinner mild steel is going to give you trouble and prevent you from being successful in my opinion.

Comment

Specialized question only an engineering outfit or someone that daily gas welds exotic metals on their job could answer.safely

Comment

You can learn a lot on this topic from the Linde Oxy-acetylene Handbook. Not expensive, and an invaluable reference if you are using OA for cutting, brazing, or welding.

Comment

5,000 series aluminum...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

How about titanium? Can you o/a weld titanium?

Comment

I can weld anything with gas. Occurs daily.
              Ed Conley
              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
              MM252
              MM211
              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Something stinks in here....

Comment

If you take two metals and heat to a point of liquification where they flow together, once allowed to cool and solidify, they do in most instances form a bond. How strong the bond is, whether it meets all the requirements of service, that's going to depend on a number of factors as well variables.
                  Oxide formation. Slag formation. Without using fluxes, would those inclusions be ok? Maybe...? How thick is the material, the shape of the materials, position it's to be accomplished, how many welding tips you have.

The chemical reactions and combining of elements, what is the standard that judges being successful or why you cannot do something? Does it meet the service requirements. You can melt a lot of stuff together but what's the scale of being successful or that it cannot be done?

Effects of quenching from gas welding and upon cooling can result in loss of ductility, increased brittleness, hardness, not to mention a lack of corrosion resistance, reduced temperature service. Depends on the material. Doesn't mean they weren't joined or fused together in a bond of some kind just that things are changed maybe not for the better as a result of doing so.

Titanium...I'm going to say no. My guess final answer. It's a reactive metal. Not saying it's going to catch fire and burn up, but in the Oxygen environment my guess is, it's going to get crusty. Depends on the alloys how crusty it gets.

"Cannot be welded by gas"... Very few metals actually cannot be joined some how using the oxy-fuel process.
                  Most can it seems if they don't react to open flame, oxidize excessively, can be fluxed, you control the heat and temperature when welding and cooling when finished, as well your not ruining a heat treatment, mechanical or chemical properties in doing so.

Monu... I think you should tell us a bit more about this and your stainless question? This home work or do you have a plan your not sharing?

Comment

I hot 54¢ says he's letting you guys do his homework from "erlding school" for him.

Comment

I usually don't see homework term-paper questions until mid-terms or finals around December, but at least he is getting a head-start at the beginning of the semester, so I gotta applaud him for that.
                      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Same guy...
                        I just wanna know the welding method that is suitable for stainless steels?
                        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Wood
                          Brick
                          Sheet Rock
                          Plaster
                          Cinderblocks
                          Dry Ice
                          Dilithium Crystals
                          Green Kryptonite
                          Ununpentium
                          the list goes on...

​​​​​​​

Comment

Aerogel?

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                              I hot 54¢ says he's letting you guys do his homework from "erlding school" for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X