Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller model 88 vs 61-m vs Thunderbolt AC 225V. How do they compare for home use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://app.aws.org/rwma/docs/2013sp...-Greitmann.pdf

https://weldguru.com/OLDSITE/welding-history.html

http://weldinghistory.org/whfolder/p...ne-welder.html

For those who haven't been shown or tried the bare rod thing then you missed out on a learning moment. Matter of fact, I was blasted pretty good early on in my posts bringing it into conversation suggesting it be tried.

I know...Stuff I say sounds like quackery but it sometimes holds merit.

For the record, I can say with certainty 1/8" E7018 with the slag chipped and filed off, can produce an acceptable weld with DC Straight polarity enough to pass a 3/8" open groove plate bend test on todays low carbon mild steel.
    AC is a heck of a lot harder but can still produce a weld in the flat or horizontal if the current is increased and the arc length elevated to prevent shorts on reversal of current flow. Just don't pinch the rod between your fingers, it will get hot fast.

I also enjoy the stories and the histories. Interesting stuff.

http://dolomitegroup.com/about/history/shipbuilding

Comment

[QUOTE

I also enjoy the stories and the histories. Interesting stuff.

http://dolomitegroup.com/about/history/shipbuilding

[/QUOTE]

Glad you like ferry tales.

Odenbach didn't build at least one of the Y tankers in that story.

Dolomite Marine barges were NOT self propelled.

Dolomite 1 was a self propelled SHIP with electric propulsion. She was also self loading and unloading for minimal manpower.
      Odenbach ship Building made self propelled barges for Holland after the Y tanker project was cancelled.
      Contrary to the book produced for the anniversary, Dolomite Products mined minimally 3 pits throughout WW-2. They provided flux for Converters in Buffalo.

Sad, neither the Corporation who owns Dolomite Products today, or the Odenbach family knows jack about Odenbach Ship Building in NY, let alone in Florida.

They can't begin to fathom how JH and Jr put up a 900+ foot overhead crane, dug a canal with 2 locks and poured thousands of yards of concrete in the first months of 1942 while producing 4 hulls and fitting them out.
      A lot of people will argue violently Pearl Harbor was a sneak attack by Japan on a sleeping America too.

Then again. many people refuse to believe Quaker Oats built bombs and cannon shells too.

Comment

I learned to weld with a Thunderbolt AC only unit. Dad and I burned through pounds of 6011 and 7018AC. Learn to weld with AC, then when you get one with DC you will appreciate it that much more. Besides until you have been down on your knees in the damp grass, struck an arc and got zapped you haven't lived.

I sold my Thunderbolt for $100 about 5 years ago. I do mostly Mig now but the Bobcat 250 is close enough I can run the cables into the shop for the farm equipment and/or rusty stuff
        Bobcat 250
        Spectrum 625
        Millermatic 175
        Thunderbolt AC
        Linde OxyFuel rig
        B & D Industrial chop saw
        B&D Wildcat Grinder
        2 - Dewalt 4.5" grinders

Comment

Originally posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
          Besides until you have been down on your knees in the damp grass, struck an arc and got zapped you haven't lived.

I got my living on an aluminum ladder in the Ohio River leaning against a steel barge. Someone want to put a rod in that stinger and hand it to me LOL...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
            I got my living on an aluminum ladder in the Ohio River leaning against a steel barge. Someone want to put a rod in that stinger and hand it to me LOL...Bob
            Good, you can be in charge of answering all questions regarding in and under water welding and how much an hour that work pays from now on. You won't be able to run and hide either, I'll forward all such questions to you.

I'll even add in if you had used a proper Barge Trailer instead of a light duty boat trailer the barge wouldn't have needed welding.

Comment

Thank you to all who have contributed to the answers to my question. I'm still following all the links embedded in this thread. And this is a great example of how people and their personal knowledge beat google searches every day of the week. This is cool stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                That would not have been fun in the winter time!

Comment

Airknocker how are you at landing on officially abandoned grass strips?
                  I can sit you down 5 miles from my place and if you bring that buzbox show you the art of running overhead with AC. Sis it that way for a few years till I could afford the first SA 200.

Once you get friendly with the machine there are few things you can't do with it, unless you want to weld Stainless.

Comment

That would be great, but unfortunately the Aeronca is sitting in my garage/barn in many, many pieces. My dad was in the middle of ground-up restoration when he died. I'm hoping maybe next summer to get to work on it. He had it close to ready for fabric. Someone broke into where he had the engine stored and stole it. I found another one, and have it. However, he was very old school and did all the tubing in zinc chromate; I think I want to carefully blast it and do epoxy on all the metal. He had all the tail feathers and the ailerons in silver already. All new side windows in. I also have to look into the oleo struts.

Grass strips was all I ever knew until I got into the flying club in the CG and starting flying airplanes with training wheels.
                    Last edited by Aeronca41; 08-06-2019, 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post

Good, you can be in charge of answering all questions regarding in and under water welding and how much an hour that work pays from now on. You won't be able to run and hide either, I'll forward all such questions to you.

I'll even add in if you had used a proper Barge Trailer instead of a light duty boat trailer the barge wouldn't have needed welding.
                      We got a dry dock about a month before i left. That thing was cool and huge. You would sink it all under water except for the control room and the room were the 100kw generator and welders were. The tug would push the barge on it then the operator would pump the water out so it floated again with the barge in its hold.
                      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Kind of like this cute little bridge built in 1941 and stashed till 42 when it appeared via a company in NYC that never saw or touched it. Real strange how it worked exactly like a German Sub JH Odenbach a photographer and 2 draftsmen toured in 1919.

Sort of odd how a steel tank full of air floats and that same tank partly full of water sinks.

I have the original Press photos of the bridge hanging on my dining room wall.

Comment

GREAT history!

Comment

But the real history don't match the PC history, so they hired a fat woman who specializes in misrepresentation to write the official history. She's got that bridge being built in Brooklyn by a Subway contractor, trucked to Rochester and assembled after Brilliant Engineers figured out how. Gotta be brilliant engineers in every flippin thing that woman writes. No bar tender could ever figure out how a submarine floats and sinks and steal that idea along with the entire propulsion system.

That tub of blubber nearly cost the Rail Museum the rotating equipment from the King Iron swing bridge the EVIL Revenue Cutter boys insisted had to be removed so drunk boater hit it.

Worse the Museums and Historical groups are infested with 40 year old engineers, with Degrees they swept up when the protractor fell on the floor.

BTW, I ain't screwing around with unshrunk Dacron for anybody, but I can hook you up with a retired guy who loves it.

Comment

Working...
                            X