No announcement yet.

Welding after cataract surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've come lightyears since 1967 when this procedure of a lense swap put the patient in bed with his head sandbagged for 3 days. When the little woman finally did hers I timed it, 22 minutes from the Doc telling me to sit on the couch and have coffee until the job was complete and she was in the recovery area. It had been a big gamble for a woman who lost sight in one eye 5 years before to Lymphoma and a real learning experience for me largely thanks to the Inturdnet.
    That roll of the dice for her came out far better than she anticipated. She was amazed when she looked across the OR and read the clock without glasses for the first time in 20 years.

Today millions are being spent at B&L to develop the next generation of implantable lenses that well may contain small motors to change the shape of the lense and deliver a different picture.

Among the things I can assure you of is your brain and your rebuilt eyeballs need to sync up. That process takes time. It will come though.
    It will also be frustrating beyond belief and tolerance some days.

I generally encourage people about to undergo the procedure and especially their companions to wear a patch over 1 eye for a couple days. It adds considerably to the onboard database and gives you tools to deal with the changes.
    Whatever else you do, ear safety glasses at all times.

Comment

One eye was done in May of last year and the other in Dec so I think the learning curve is over for me.

I got some DeWalt safety glasses with 2 x diopter bifocal lens for use around the shop

Comment

This is going to sound high on the dumb scale, but have you tried welding with a patch covering one eye since your retrofit?

I occasionally get binocular double vision since having one retina professionally laser welded, and that is more fun than people relate having on LSD induced trips.
        Eye patch solves the problem real quick and I have my choice of views.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
          This is going to sound high on the dumb scale, but have you tried welding with a patch covering one eye since your retrofit?

I occasionally get binocular double vision since having one retina professionally laser welded, and that is more fun than people relate having on LSD induced trips.
          Eye patch solves the problem real quick and I have my choice of views.
          No, but I will try it tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by johndeerefarmer View Post

No, but I will try it tomorrow
            Be forewarned your depth perception will be off until you get used to functioning 1 eyed.
            When you get used to it the depth thing becomes very manageable.

Comment

Well here I am a year and a half later. Here's what else I have tried for welding after cataract surgery.
              Besides the headlamp on my hood and the LED spotlights on the tripod, I bought a new helmet. The Miller Infinity with the clear lens. I have had an Elite for a long time but it was about the same price to buy a new helmet than just change the lens. The new helmet helps slightly but not sure it was worth the upgrade. Especially because Miller doesn't make larger cheater lens to fit the helmet!!

I now just wear 2x magnifier glasses under my helmet instead of using the 2x cheater lens.
              About 2 months ago I bought the ESAB rebel 180 stick welder. Because the arc is brighter with stick I can see the puddle better so when I can I weld with it instead of the Mig.
              Then last week went back to the eye doc for my checkup. I asked him why things were darker after cataract surgery. He said that's because the lens are a combination for close up and far off. Then I asked him, if things are already darker due to the lens can I safely reduce the shade on my welding helmet. He said yes. He also said that UV wouldn't damage my eyes any more than normal (actually probably less because the lens have a UV coating. So next time in the shop I put the shade on 8 in X mode. This in conjunction with my headlamp helped a lot. Since I typically use the Mig for the thinner stuff, next time I will put the helmet in welding mode instead of x mode and try shade 7

Comment

Thank you for posting an update johndeerefarmer. I have been searching this site for related articles on welding with diminishing vision, but never found this one. The hidden gem in a previous post was the dime at welding distance. Around 40 I started noticing my close up was getting blurred. My last welding project I realized close up vision was one reason my welding was getting worse. I'll ask around for a supplier with a test lab.
                Thank's

Comment

Johndeere / "I bought a new helmet. The Miller Infinity with the clear lens. I have had an Elite for a long time but it was about the same price to buy a new helmet than just change the lens. The new helmet helps slightly but not sure it was worth the upgrade. Especially because Miller doesn't make larger cheater lens to fit the helmet!!"

Should have just bought the Elite again..........has the same clear lens as the Infinity but will still use your old plug in cheater lens..............No cataract surgery here....still dealing with my original 70 year old headlights and reading glasses only, I have tried the extra light in the weld zone and have the headlights for my old Elite hat also.........after talking with a tech at Miller for quite a while on this same very subject the dude convinced me to try the new clear lens and take the shade down a few notches......and I did and just use my reading glasses under the hood .........sometimes depending on what I'm welding and whether it's TIG or MIG with excellent results. The clear lens is much cleaner and a more natural color.....and I like it......just need to find a place to store all my old hoods?

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                    Johndeere / "I bought a new helmet. The Miller Infinity with the clear lens. I have had an Elite for a long time but it was about the same price to buy a new helmet than just change the lens. The new helmet helps slightly but not sure it was worth the upgrade. Especially because Miller doesn't make larger cheater lens to fit the helmet!!"

Should have just bought the Elite again..........has the same clear lens as the Infinity but will still use your old plug in cheater lens..............No cataract surgery here....still dealing with my original 70 year old headlights and reading glasses only, I have tried the extra light in the weld zone and have the headlights for my old Elite hat also.........after talking with a tech at Miller for quite a while on this same very subject the dude convinced me to try the new clear lens and take the shade down a few notches......and I did and just use my reading glasses under the hood .........sometimes depending on what I'm welding and whether it's TIG or MIG with excellent results. The clear lens is much cleaner and a more natural color.....and I like it......just need to find a place to store all my old hoods?
                    Thanks. yes I should have just bought a new Elite with the clear lens technology. I think I will go ahead and buy the clear lens for the Elite as well and I can take it to our vacation home's shop. Between the clear lens and reducing the shade # these too things made a big difference. Makes my welds look like I know what I am doing again. LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X