No announcement yet.

Welding after cataract surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've come lightyears since 1967 when this procedure of a lense swap put the patient in bed with his head sandbagged for 3 days. When the little woman finally did hers I timed it, 22 minutes from the Doc telling me to sit on the couch and have coffee until the job was complete and she was in the recovery area. It had been a big gamble for a woman who lost sight in one eye 5 years before to Lymphoma and a real learning experience for me largely thanks to the Inturdnet.
    That roll of the dice for her came out far better than she anticipated. She was amazed when she looked across the OR and read the clock without glasses for the first time in 20 years.

Today millions are being spent at B&L to develop the next generation of implantable lenses that well may contain small motors to change the shape of the lense and deliver a different picture.

Among the things I can assure you of is your brain and your rebuilt eyeballs need to sync up. That process takes time. It will come though.
    It will also be frustrating beyond belief and tolerance some days.

I generally encourage people about to undergo the procedure and especially their companions to wear a patch over 1 eye for a couple days. It adds considerably to the onboard database and gives you tools to deal with the changes.
    Whatever else you do, ear safety glasses at all times.

Comment

One eye was done in May of last year and the other in Dec so I think the learning curve is over for me.

I got some DeWalt safety glasses with 2 x diopter bifocal lens for use around the shop

Comment

This is going to sound high on the dumb scale, but have you tried welding with a patch covering one eye since your retrofit?

I occasionally get binocular double vision since having one retina professionally laser welded, and that is more fun than people relate having on LSD induced trips.
        Eye patch solves the problem real quick and I have my choice of views.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
          This is going to sound high on the dumb scale, but have you tried welding with a patch covering one eye since your retrofit?

I occasionally get binocular double vision since having one retina professionally laser welded, and that is more fun than people relate having on LSD induced trips.
          Eye patch solves the problem real quick and I have my choice of views.
          No, but I will try it tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by johndeerefarmer View Post

No, but I will try it tomorrow
            Be forewarned your depth perception will be off until you get used to functioning 1 eyed.
            When you get used to it the depth thing becomes very manageable.

Comment

Working...
            X