Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which welding method is suitable for stainless steels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which welding method is suitable for stainless steels?

Hi...
    I just wanna know the welding method that is suitable for stainless steels?

Yes.

Comment

TIG, Stick, MIG. SAW, I think just about all of them.
      if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Stainless WHAT and which alloy?

SS can be welded with O/A, stick, MIG, and even Heliarc which has become a beloved although unnecessary process in most cases.
        A real weldor can even cut SS with either O/A or O/P torch if he knows how.

Comment

...but a real weldor probably wouldn't cut it with OA in most cases because the cut edge of the stainless would be contaminated and probably rust if the only method I know is used. However, you are absolutely right--it can be done, and I suppose would be OK in some cases.
          Last edited by Aeronca41; 08-01-2019, 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

You know the method, but I don't think we should tell the kids how it's done, they might hurt themselves. Besides it's fun watching people who refused to learn demanding How to do it on web sites. It's also enjoyable seeing them DEMAND to know why their perfect SS weld is rusting after they did it right.
            Most don't even know enough to weld a hunk of scrap onto the slug before you cut a fishmouth hole into a SS line with Caustic water running in the line so you can finish grind the opening and weld another line into it.

I gotta figure out how I'm gonna slip the remaining 2 sticks of vintage 1966 SS rod into the china cabinet as a memorial to Pete F who taught me many valuable lessons. Pulled em out of the toolbox they been in since 68 a couple weeks back. I'm thinking crystal bud vase is perfect.

Comment

That trick is right up there with resistance spot welding aluminum sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                That trick is right up there with resistance spot welding aluminum sheet.
                Shhhhhhsh! It's better to let them think we couldn't do nuttin till they showed up with their Deeplomerz and Degrees that belong on a protractor and App telling them how old they'll be when the Student Loans are paid off.
                We don't want them knowing that plastic card is Named Master Card because it has become the Master and they exist to serve. Probably best if they don't know aluminum contains a bunch of copper and zinc too. We sure don't want em finding out the lightning cap on George Washington's monument in the swamp is lab grade aluminum, whole bunch of them consultant fellows dang near fell off the scaffold when they saw that scarred up aluminum.

Comment

If somebody asks, I'll tell 'em. I have been incredibly blessed over many, many years by being associated with people who didn't kick me to the gutter when I kept bugging them with question after question. And been blessed with family and family friends who were mechanics, weldors, contractors, cabinet makers, airplane mechanics, etc. But what did I choose for a living? Systems engineering. Just to round things out, I guess.

I still remember very, very well the one occasion I felt my grandad wouldn't answer my question; he, my uncles, my dad, everyone I knew, always explained things to me. I was just a little kid, and I was "helping" him work on his '39 Chevy--the vacuum shift had quit working. He found a hole in the vacuum reservoir, which was just a big tin can that looked like it might once have held tomatoes, but a little longer. He took it off, and was taking it inside to solder up the leak when I asked him, "Grandpap, what goes in that tank". He told me "vacuum", which I knew nothing about, so asked "what's vacuum?" His answer was, "nothing--vacuum is nothing. If you take everything else away, even air, you have vacuum". So, I just couldn't understand why that thing was there in the first place if nothing went in it, and what did it matter if it leaked? I remember to this day, literally screaming at him, "Why won't you tell me what goes in there?" He was a mechanic, not a very theoretical guy, and really didn't know how to explain it to a little kid. But I think that stands out because it's the only time I remember someone wouldn't answer my questions. I must have driven people nuts!

So, I have spent a good part of my life teaching kids how to work on cars, weld, do woodworking, roofing, wiring, machine work, etc. Very rewarding, and really cool when you see the kid grow up and not have to pay someone hundreds or thousands of bucks to do what they (some have been girls) can now do themselves for a few bucks. Or pick up a few bucks putting brake pads on their neighbors' cars for them. Very rewarding stuff!

Comment

Our world is obsoleted and gone Airknocker. Kind of sad in a way, but then I am content to not hear of Polio surely caught by the kid swimming in a creek, Mrs Jones getting blown out of the kitchen lighting her oven, Mrs White getting caught in her Mangle and sitting there for hours cause she couldn't reach the phone to call for help. That 33 pounds of welding rod unrolling from a nozzle beats changing sticks, chipping and going another 8" too. 2 steps forward and 3 back seems to still be the nature of things.

Sitting a dish of water on a vacuum plate and putting a bell jar over it so the vac pump can get down to 29" and start boiling the water off in front of 30 kids teaches a lot more than sit in front of the TV and watch the video, at least in my experience. Too bad Grampa didn't have a bell jar handy to show you. Along that line a man named Gambrell spent 4 years with pumps and jars back in the 60s developing a process to put fake chrome onto plastic knobs, and built the beginning of an industry. Bankers insisted he hire engineers to prove he could do it, and refused to watch it happen before their eyes.

30 years back I taught a 16 year old girl to run stringers with a buzbox. She wasn't happy just knowing that, so she kept learning and became one of the best in town on Heliarc. State said she couldn't be in the room with any machinery that moved, so we built a wall. She ran more so called "certified weldors out the door handing them 6 sheared pieces of flat and telling them to build a box and when she checked off on it they could cover it in stringers and weaves in 4 positions. Most ran when they saw the buzbox. A lot more ran when she proved she could do it. The few she kept got to meet the people who had to carry them if they couldn't deliver to see if they could hire on. That girl was stolen from me to be a college welding instructor at the age of 20. She flunked out a lot of so called students. I didn't mind, she earned her way in the world.

Today, I call a 16 year old girl to solve my computer problems, and she does fast. Then I get the LOOK. I keep reminding her we barely speak the same English Language. What's the subject and predicate of "See Spot run." Sadie?
                    Sadie loves learning other things from me because we learn hands on with explanations.
                    Public Education is failing in greater leaps every year, and colleges ain't far behind.

Comment

Working...
                    X