• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tackit
    Banned
    • Oct 2005

A website I have used for many years

I just had to find the inside diameter of two inch pipe and went to the website I use for such things. . You may have a better one. It's got airplane engineering information so I though Aeronica might find it interesting.

https://www.engineersedge.com/Design_Data.shtml..

• aametalmaster
    Chairman Of The Board
    • Sep 2005

Internal and external diameters, areas, weights, volumes and number of threads for ANSI schedule 40 steel pipes.
    Bob Wright

Comment

• tackit
      Banned
      • Oct 2005

I need to slip a length of 2" EMT into a piece of 2" schedule 40 and weld it for a cell phone antenna mast. I use a 551L mobile device to get fast internet and it's only showing two bars out of four at times. The tower I'm guessing is about three miles away as the crow flies. The antenna adds 10 Db to my signal, I'm hoping to see a big improvement. ..

Comment

• Franz©
        Banned
        • Mar 2019

Ahhhh Taxkit, you got a problem with that telescopic fit as I recall.

1.5 rigid conduit will fit into 2" conduit nicely, and 2 will fit into 2.5.

Thinwall don't interface with nuttin unless you make collars.

Comment

• Aeronca41
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by tackit View Post
          I just had to find the inside diameter of two inch pipe and went to the website I use for such things. . You may have a better one. It's got airplane engineering information so I though Aeronica might find it interesting.

https://www.engineersedge.com/Design_Data.shtml..

Nice site! Thanks for posting. I have always used the Engineering Toolbox site Bob posted the link for, but this one has some stuff that doesn't.

Comment

• tackit
            Banned
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
            Ahhhh Taxkit, you got a problem with that telescopic fit as I recall.

1.5 rigid conduit will fit into 2" conduit nicely, and 2 will fit into 2.5.

Thinwall don't interface with nuttin unless you make collars.
            I want the thicker schedule 40 pipe going into the ground for longevity purposes, and the EMT welded inside the 2"pipe, there is only a .067 gap, . plenty good enough for making a good looking solid weld joint. The weld is going to be made using my generator and my MM180 running .035 flux cored wire at the place of installation.

Comment

• OscarJr
              • Jun 2014

Good page. I like the engineering Mathematics section, but it's missing the Tensor Calculus and Lagrangian Mechanics sections
              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
              HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

• ryanjones2150
                • Jul 2014

How about a tesseract polytonal algorithm?

Comment

• tackit
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
                  Good page. I like the engineering Mathematics section, but it's missing the Tensor Calculus and Lagrangian Mechanics sections
                  Oscar can you give an example of where the above mathematics are used? The reason I ask is, I have built so many mechanical things over the years that never required such mathematics, are the above mathematics used for building rockets meant to go into outer space, and for building such things as the common dog house?

Comment

• Aeronca41
                    • Jun 2014

I love this forum. Where else, in a single thread, can you see discussion of what sizes of pipe/tubing/conduit will slide together, coupled with talk of tensor calculus and LaGrangian mechanics?

Comment

• tackit
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                      I love this forum. Where else, in a single thread, can you see discussion of what sizes of pipe/tubing/conduit will slide together, coupled with talk of tensor calculus and LaGrangian mechanics?
                      Yes, myself I'm a certfied and 100% bonified dumb azz, but I still enjoy reading things smarter people than I have posted, I've found hijacked information comes in handy down the line. .

Comment

• OscarJr
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by tackit View Post

Oscar can you give an example of where the above mathematics are used? The reason I ask is, I have built so many mechanical things over the years that never required such mathematics, are the above mathematics used for building rockets meant to go into outer space, and for building such things as the common dog house?
                        Many "things" in engineering are a result of working with tensors at a higher level. To solve some 3-D problems in mechanics regarding forces/stresses/motions are a result of what is called "diagonalization" of inertia or stress-energy tensors in order to find appropriate solutions. Many times, when you see the statement "it can be shown that...." means that the higher maths have already been done and the important intermediate result is the only thing shown because that is the concept at hand. In engineering, tensors (which are expressed as matrices) are highly useful since many problems lend themselves to solutions via tensor/matrix mechanics. Obviously you don't need it to build a doghouse, unless the doghouse is quite advanced and the stresses within it do not follow any known engineering principles to analyze it, for which new equations need to be derived to then apply to solve for forces at play.

The Lagrangian is "found" everywhere, from an apple falling from a tree (a geodesic trajectory from the viewpoint of Einstein's General Theory of Relativity - aka: gravitation), all the way to the Standard Model that unites all known physics in one equation-of-everything (most of the "forces" of nature). It can be described as a minimizing action, since the universe tends to have/seek minimization in almost all facets of itself. If we want to know the that minimization "path" (to describe the evolution of a system involving kinetic and potential energies) the Lagrangian maths allow for a way to set-up such problems.
                        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                        HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                        HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                        HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                        HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

• Franz©
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2019

Yep, that there fancy engineering math is used in a whole bunch of places.
                          They used it plenty in NY City designing super buildings
                          Roman Mars’ podcast 99% Invisible covers design questions large and small, from his fascination with rebar to the history of slot machines to the great ...

I bet Oscar can even demonstrate how a bunch of professors and a gaggle of lawyers at Florida International used it to design and "build" a bridge off site, sit it onto Marmot carriers, and park it right over top of a 6 lane road. It worked too, well nobody poked the button for how long will this idea fly, but they did get the bridge into place.

Pretty dang amazing what some people with paper from diploma mills like the one Jack Welch bought into can make work on a screen.

Comment

• tackit
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2005

I've been able to build some great tools and projects without knowing all that crap. Here's two of my builds. I took piles of steel and built me a couple of beautiful hydraulic presses out of them,,, the 50 ton press was bult 16 years ago and has done it's share of grunting and still doing it's thing without using all that silly math stuff.

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/cy...0Power%20Press

Comment

• Aeronca41
                              • Jun 2014

Nice press; very nice build sequence pics. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Working...
                              X