No announcement yet.

A website I have used for many years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do recall listening to the Radio news when Stockholm and AndreaDoria married up. Didn't have TV but them radio announcers were pretty good at describing things.
    I took a dislike to them helioilleaks when I read how many parts were in the rotor head, each built by the lowest bidder and assembled by a bunch of teenage kids. Add in my propensity to puke in situations where I am subjected to pitch, yaw and roll and my ability to hurl more than my body weight when I go off, I did my best to stay clear of such contraptions. My 201 was well documented by the time I reached Saigon. My personal preference is 2 feet in contact with mother earth.

Actually I had a complete disrespect for air in any role beyond keeping Mr Charles occupied so he didn't have time to mess with me after a small incident riding a 130 into the beautiful hilltop resort to deliver a generator. Loadie had sufficiently soaked me in Skotch from the moment I boarded I was in fine condition when we arrived at the land of terracotta Marines. I had been assured this was a milk run by the Travel Agent. Soon as that 12 cylinder set was connected & producing I was on next flight out. NOT 1 lowlife scummer from USAF bothered to mention there would be no taxi to the anticipated terminal. I was impolitely informed the flying contraption would be just below V1 around 60mph as I recall as the genset drag chute got tosssed by a lowlife, and I could either ride the machine or run down the ramp. I tried opting to stay aboard only to learn they had sufficient manpower to bowl me down the ramp if necesasary.

3 weeks later I got a ride off that mountaintop in a Slick which generously delivered me where I didn't belong or need to go. I have absolutely no faith in transportation by air.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

**** you cant resist being an a-hole can you? A&#clowns like you are probably why this forum has so little **** traffic, and it's just the same group of people that hang out here. No I ain't butt-hurt like you and Noel always assume people are, just because you start throwing jabs and then others like me who don't put up with your Sh.it dont' stay quiet. Just like you, calling it how I see it. A sh.itty old man who never got educated and got stuck in the trades and now wants others to oohh and ahhhh at everything he says. Pft. Get a life outside of this forum.
      I for one have to ask, what makes you think your Mr. Personality? And also what good reason you had for bringing my name into the conversation? If this forum has so little traffic as you mention, maybe a little personal reflection is in order?

I like Franz.
      I appreciate his lengthy replies, his opinions, comments, attitude and knowledge. Thanks for sharing Franz. While it surely will fan the flames of discontent, foster animosity in some, I agree.

Comment

There he is, the twin brother, never fails. Of course you do.
        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
        HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
        HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
        HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
        HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Lid's loose & rattling again

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post
            I need to slip a length of 2" EMT into a piece of 2" schedule 40 and weld it for a cell phone antenna mast. I use a 551L mobile device to get fast internet and it's only showing two bars out of four at times. The tower I'm guessing is about three miles away as the crow flies. The antenna adds 10 Db to my signal, I'm hoping to see a big improvement. ..
            Shop to Takit, come in Tack.
            I happened to be in a situation this afternoon where 2" pipe and 2" thinwall were within my grasp, so I double checked.
            2" thinwall will slip into a 2" threaded coupling, but NOT into 2" pipe.
            If I can find some 2½ pipe I'll check that for you.

What's the 411 on this internet system you found?

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post

Shop to Takit, come in Tack.
              I happened to be in a situation this afternoon where 2" pipe and 2" thinwall were within my grasp, so I double checked.
              2" thinwall will slip into a 2" threaded coupling, but NOT into 2" pipe.
              If I can find some 2½ pipe I'll check that for you.

What's the 411 on this internet system you found?
              You are exactly right again Franz, 2" EMT measures 2.1975. I should have checked it, but I'm telling the SIL what I want done and sometimes I overlook and forget things that should be check out.

I thought about setting up my version of a Mag Drill line boring set up and use a boring bar to open up the 2" inch pipe, but I said to H**L with it and told the SIL to weld a piece of 3/16 angle to the bottom of the EMT and be done with.

I like the Idea of using a boring bar for such work, when I can get back in the shop I'm going to experiment with the Mag Drill set up, .perhaps I can grind a bit profile that will allow the bit to cut going around the pipe like a drill bit rather then cut from the inside if that makes sense.. .

Sorry Franz, I don't understand the 411 question?Click image for larger version  Name:	Antenna Steak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.8 KB ID:	600339Click image for larger version  Name:	line drill setup.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	600340
              Last edited by tackit; 08-03-2019, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I do recall listening to the Radio news when Stockholm and AndreaDoria married up. Didn't have TV but them radio announcers were pretty good at describing things.
                I took a dislike to them helioilleaks when I read how many parts were in the rotor head, each built by the lowest bidder and assembled by a bunch of teenage kids. Add in my propensity to puke in situations where I am subjected to pitch, yaw and roll and my ability to hurl more than my body weight when I go off, I did my best to stay clear of such contraptions. My 201 was well documented by the time I reached Saigon. My personal preference is 2 feet in contact with mother earth.

Actually I had a complete disrespect for air in any role beyond keeping Mr Charles occupied so he didn't have time to mess with me after a small incident riding a 130 into the beautiful hilltop resort to deliver a generator. Loadie had sufficiently soaked me in Skotch from the moment I boarded I was in fine condition when we arrived at the land of terracotta Marines. I had been assured this was a milk run by the Travel Agent. Soon as that 12 cylinder set was connected & producing I was on next flight out. NOT 1 lowlife scummer from USAF bothered to mention there would be no taxi to the anticipated terminal. I was impolitely informed the flying contraption would be just below V1 around 60mph as I recall as the genset drag chute got tosssed by a lowlife, and I could either ride the machine or run down the ramp. I tried opting to stay aboard only to learn they had sufficient manpower to bowl me down the ramp if necesasary.

3 weeks later I got a ride off that mountaintop in a Slick which generously delivered me where I didn't belong or need to go. I have absolutely no faith in transportation by air.
                Franz, no doubt about it, they are complicated machines that take a ton of money to maintain properly, but falling out of the sky due to parts breakage or some other mechanical failure if they are maintained properly, is very rare, unless you happen to be on one that fails.

The fear of Lawsuits is a passenger's best friend, I have never heard of composite blades separating unless they were in an accident. I always found it cool how the horizon goes vertical when a pilot pitches his aircraft in a turn. The Chinook was a good aircraft, I think if you ever took off in one you would find the experience very enjoyable.

Now riding in a tank is what I would fear, with the types of armor piercing ammo and explosives they have today, I doubt a vehicle of any sorts can be built to withstand a hit.. Same goes for Navy ships. I'll take my chances in the air before traveling in those modes of transportation. Today's missiles can be steered into a target from a control room half a world away. and the future is only getting deadlier for troops on both sides.

It's to bad for us you don't have faith in flying, by now you would have invented a shop built copter powered by a Dewalt cordless drill that could be built in a weekend..
                Last edited by tackit; 08-04-2019, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Comment

I’d feel far safer in any sort of rotary wing than I do driving down the road.

There would have to be some sort of complete separation of the air frame and the rotor for a helicopter to just fall out of the sky. When you watch a helicopter auto rotate safely to the ground and still have enough inertia to pick it back up again, with no power from the engine(s) to the rotor, that’s impressive.

I agree with tack on the armor ride. However, there is no match on the entire planet to American armor. And with out electronic capabilities these days, any booger eating bad guys will be hard pressed to get an aircraft up, much less a missile. The birds that do get shot down are just blind ass luck. Rotary wing is direct air support, meaning they fly within reach of enemy small arms, and they are vulnerable.

Comment

Tack you summed the entirety of rotating spalling fiberglass splinters spinning around an oil leak with IF PROPERLY MAINTAINED! I think we all saw an example of how well that works when Jimma Carter sent Navy helos into the desert sand in Iran way back when, not to mention successive examples including but not limited to a team of very talented men sent to their death by Obummer. Helos require 10 hours of on the ground maintenance for every hour in the air and rely on parts built by the lowest bidder. Autorotation is a function of 2 parts in the rotor head that may, or may not, function with reliability if the teenage kid who put the head together didn't use a big hammer.

There is simply no way in he11 my azz considers that level of reliability acceptable. Had the Creator intended my azz to fly there would be wings attached to my shoulder blades. There ain't, so I DON'T put myself in any overgrown cigar tube and hope the stewardess can get it into the air and keep it there if the computer screws up. Even Boeing can and does screw up as we are currently watching unfold. Dial a destination if yer lucky don't impress me.

I'll not bother addressing Enstrom with the rotor driven by a flippin snowmobile belt, not even Messerschmidt who have been building Helos since the 1930s. It's a bad idea, and NOT suitable for conveying me anyplace. Taken to the next level, ITO success rates of Helo assisted combat dropped considerably after Gen Giap looked at the situation and ordered his people to get in close and even intermix with our people.

As to anyone feeling safe around Ryan on the road, how can anyone feel safe in proximity to a Clark bar swiping Rayon Road Hog in a top heavy overweight vehicle? That red truck has a COG resembling a Helo. 2Bugles Rayon sits there watching **** on a laptop and shouting directions to the driver who is not programmed to take instruction in any manner other than TXT.
                      Definite pending disaster on 6 tires.
                      Rayon Renders Roads Unsafe!

Comment

.... function with reliability if the teenage kid who put the head together didn't use a big ENOUGH hammer.....!
                        Fixed it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Fixed it for you.
                          HEY, don't make me call your wife and tell her what you used her linewoman pliers for.

Comment

HEY, don't make me call your wife and tell her what you used her linewoman pliers for.
                            She was under my desk with them just this morning, if you know what I mean.

Yep, she was cutting and redoing the zipties holding up the computer cables.

Comment

Franz, all maintenance has to be checked off by a TI before a ship can be sent back to the flight line, any red Xs put in a ships flight log, be it put in by a pilot or maintenance person, and that ship is permanently grounded until the problem is fixed and the red X is signed of off by the TI = technical inspector in my time, he.was the only person that had authority to remove/sign of a red X..

In all the times I worked on helicopters during my Army hitch, I never saw a leaking transmission or a failed rotor blade blade, even when enemy rounds went through them. Franz, I guarantee if you hopped aboard a CH 47 helicopter you would enjoy the ride, your mechanical mind would be in Heaven if you were shown up close the parts which make it possible for a CH 47 helicopter to fly.
                              Last edited by tackit; 08-04-2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

She was under my desk with them just this morning, if you know what I mean.

Yep, she was cutting and redoing the zipties holding up the computer cables.
                                You lucky devil.
                                I am shocked you haven't gotten her a tie gun yet. She deserves one just for tolerating you.

You should also get her velcro bands for the cables so she hasn't got to work so hard. IBEW gonna bill you by the hour for her work.

Decent man would make her one of these too.

Comment

Working...
                                X