No announcement yet.

A website I have used for many years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dangit Tack, I thought we decided 15 years back that press needs 4 skatewheels on the cylinder to roll across the header and a boat winch to lift & lower the bed.

What happened?

Comment

lol, silly for simple builds, yes. Necessary for complex builds like skyscrapers? Absolutely. Fortunately FEA analysis can solve for things a lot faster than hand-computational methods. But rest assured, the software didn't write itself.
      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
        lol, silly for simple builds, yes. Necessary for complex builds like skyscrapers? Absolutely. Fortunately FEA analysis can solve for things a lot faster than hand-computational methods. But rest assured, the software didn't write itself.
        You can also rest assured some arrogant EEOC hire from Jack Welch's Diploma mill didn't write it either.
        And as you have declared you ain't a weldor.
        You also ain't a fabricator and 100 other things in the trades.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
          Dangit Tack, I thought we decided 15 years back that press needs 4 skatewheels on the cylinder to roll across the header and a boat winch to lift & lower the bed.

What happened?
          I got lazy mostly, I do get pangs every so often about finishing it, maybe after I get my wheelchair ramp built. I use my 1/2 ton come a-long to raise and lower it's platen. I kind of feel guilty of half-azzing such a nice build, before I check out I would like to finish it.

It's been many years Franz, glad to have known you all of them.....our last day keeps getting closer and closer don't it? You need to write a book, I'm not kidding, it would be a shame for the world if all you have learned and did during your lifetime was't written down,

Comment

You can also rest assured some arrogant EEOC hire from Jack Welch's Diploma mill didn't write it either.
            And as you have declared you ain't a weldor.
            You also ain't a fabricator and 100 other things in the trades.
            **** you cant resist being an a-hole can you? A&#clowns like you are probably why this forum has so little **** traffic, and it's just the same group of people that hang out here. No I ain't butt-hurt like you and Noel always assume people are, just because you start throwing jabs and then others like me who don't put up with your Sh.it dont' stay quiet. Just like you, calling it how I see it. A sh.itty old man who never got educated and got stuck in the trades and now wants others to oohh and ahhhh at everything he says. Pft. Get a life outside of this forum.
            HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
            HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
            HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
            HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
            HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
            HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Franz, one again, dial it back! Yes, you are a very knowledgeable guy, and I appreciate that. But so is Oscar. I have learned from both, and we need both the trades and the academics. If it weren't for the academics, we wouldn't have this forum to communicate over, and we might well be speaking German, Japanese, or Russian. And if it weren't for the trades, we would have a really lousy quality of life, and also might be speaking German, Japanese, or Russian. Both are necessary for one functional whole, and there is no need to have an "us and them" attitude. Be cool! And continue to pass on your knowledge without denigrating other people! There's just no point to it, and you have too much to offer.

We need those theoretical guys desperately. I think the best Illustration I ever heard of that fact was if you gave unlimited money to an massive number of doctors in Civil War days to find better ways to locate bullets or frags in people, they would have come up with all manner of probes, forceps, strong lights, etc., but probably not one of them would have been able to invent the xray. Needed someone from a completely different discipline. In another, perhaps more gruesome illustration, there was a missionary pilot in South America named Nate Saint who used an old idea of flying a Super Cub in a pylon turn and lowering gifts to the indians in a basket on a rope....it stood essentially still on the ground in the exact center of the circle. The concept was first considered for weaponry prior to WWII but was rejected by the Army Air Force apparently because it was unconventional. Saint put the principle to use, then along came a weapons guy who said, "Hey, you could really concentrate firepower with that technique." And the AC-47 Spookys, usually called Puff the Magic Dragon, went to Viet Nam. Three 7.62mm miniguns with fire concentrated in a small area had astounding results! An awesome and terrifying weapon.

We all need to just get along, and not make one person look better by trying to make others look worse.

Comment

Gee Airknocker, do tell more about them old C-47s with Gatling guns sticking out the side?

How many missions did you fly one on in country?

Same result with a little less accuracy was accomplished in World War 1 called Yellow Dog Bombs.

Comment

Lots of info via Google on AC-47s. Obviously never been in one, but had a close friend who flew 'em. Interesting stories. I have to look up yellow dog bombs. Not a term I've heard.

Comment

Ah--Lazy Dogs. Heard of those; just a different name. Ya gotta love Google. Learned something new.
                    Last edited by Aeronca41; 08-02-2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Holy cow I looked at that site lots a cool stuff. I looked at one post about scissor lift equations, got a headache 1 paragraph in. too many letters and not enough numbers in their math. But I will be going back there.

Comment

Gee Airknocker, do tell more about them old C-47s with Gatling guns sticking out the side?

How many missions did you fly one on in country?

Same result with a little less accuracy was accomplished in World War 1 called Yellow Dog Bombs.
                        Guns A GO GO was a specially outfitted attack CH47 Chinook outfit in Vietnam, they could spin on their axis delivering awesome firepower to the enemy.

I worked on Chinooks in Vietnam, I loved the Chinook, what an invaluable workhorse it turned out to be.

http://gunsagogo.org/

Located near the Iron Triangle we saw DC 3/AC 47s mini-gun ships known as Puff The Magic Dragon fly in circles delivering solid red lines of tracers to the enemy on the ground almost every night, the general electric mini-guns didn't sound like normal machine guns, they made a constant BURRRRR sound when fired.

http://gunsagogo.org/

DC3's https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...2&action=click

Comment

First time I ever heard a mini-gun open up I was sitting side door of a Blackhawk. I thought we were going to crash. Scared the peepee outta me....until I saw the red snake. Green is bad.

Had my share of “thrill” rides in a 47 too. Amazing machines they are.

AC47 is spooky. AC130 is spectre. Both are a ground pounder’s best friend. Effective for far more than death and destruction too. I guess it all eventually leads to that end though.

But I’m just a kid with no experience, right Franz?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            First time I ever heard a mini-gun open up I was sitting side door of a Blackhawk. I thought we were going to crash. Scared the peepee outta me....until I saw the red snake. Green is bad.

AC47 is spooky. AC130 is spectre. Both are a ground pounder’s best friend. Effective for far more than death and destruction too. I guess it all eventually leads to that end though.

I do not subscribe to the theory them heliochopper devices can fly. I do recall seeing video of a woman driver doing the Uber from above trick in Iraq, loved it as she flipped her mic up and touched up her lipstick as the passengers left, but I continue to maintain them rotating masses of fraying fiberglass spinning around an oil leak repaired by a 19 year old kid are optical illusions. They look terribly unsafe.

I also contend the C 119 and C 123 would have provided nicer platforms to drop finned projectiles from the rear, or even mount quad 50s back there.

I never much cared what anybody dropped as long as it didn't land on me.

I did manage to get the wiff a complementary R seat test in a slick when she insisted I go to the air show with her, BECAUSE. Dang kid Warrant wouldn't let me in the contraption. I think he was skert I'd mow airport lawn with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post

I remember once I hitched a ride in a AF C130 to the 90th replacement center from Pleiku Unbeknownst to me I sitting next to it's flight control boost pumps when they turned on, scared the Chinook out of me.

Comment

I do not subscribe to the theory them heliochopper devices can fly. I do recall seeing video of a woman driver doing the Uber from above trick in Iraq, loved it as she flipped her mic up and touched up her lipstick as the passengers left, but I continue to maintain them rotating masses of fraying fiberglass spinning around an oil leak repaired by a 19 year old kid are optical illusions. They look terribly unsafe.

I also contend the C 119 and C 123 would have provided nicer platforms to drop finned projectiles from the rear, or even mount quad 50s back there.

I never much cared what anybody dropped as long as it didn't land on me.

I did manage to get the wiff a complementary R seat test in a slick when she insisted I go to the air show with her, BECAUSE. Dang kid Warrant wouldn't let me in the contraption. I think he was skert I'd mow airport lawn with it.
                                You would really crap your pants flying in a CH21 flying banana. Once a pilot came into the hanger and told us mechanics to get on board the aircraft he was about to test fly, he took us up and did a auto-rotate at the end of the test, I thought it was going to break in half when he pulled the collective pitch.

It's flight system was all cables, quadrants, bell-cranks and accumulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRcrGhhowdo

Comment

Working...
                                X