Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding after cataract surgery is worse than before!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding after cataract surgery is worse than before!

I have a MillerMatic and Miller Spoolamatic. I have an Eastwood 200 TIG. A few months ago, I had
    cataract
    surgery. I require reading glasses now and use 2.5 magnification readers for really close work. I just started back welding (MIG at first and SS using Tri-mix) and notice something that is baffling to me. I have 3 auto-tinting shields that are acting weird. Two large screens from Eastwood and one narrow screen from Harbor Freight. I also have a narrow shield from Miller. The Miller is not automatic. The Eastwoods require 2032 batteries. I added new batteries to them. I haven't figured out how to replace batteries on the one from HB. I don't see any battery holder or box. I may have to take it apart? All three will automatically darken after I strike an arc. But, none of them, now, will darken enough. I see a bright white ball (arc) and cannot adjust settings while welding stainless steel. I assume mild steel is the same. It is difficult to weld straight because of ball's brightness, regardless of semi-hiding arc with MIG tip. But, the white ball it is not painful or stressful, yet. I haven't tried welding other metals or my TIG. I replaced batteries but it didn't affect the Eastwoods. Eastwood said to set shields in the sun for a few hours. I did, including HF's. Same results with welding. The manual shield is now difficult to see AFTER striking an arc. It is really much darker than I can remember. I cannot see to weld at all with the manual shield. Anyone had
    cataract
    surgery and experienced the same or similar symptoms, please respond.

My eye doctor said that I would not have any welding difficulties after surgery, which doesn't seem to be my case.

The first person you should be talking to is your eye doctor. I'm sure they can do a battery of tests to determine the status of your eyesight. As was mentioned on the WeldingWeb forum, your eyes might be taking a little longer to recover, or not. Only your eye doctor would be able to tell for sure.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
      The first person you should be talking to is your eye doctor. I'm sure they can do a battery of tests to determine the status of your eyesight. As was mentioned on the WeldingWeb forum, your eyes might be taking a little longer to recover, or not. Only your eye doctor would be able to tell for sure.
      I go next month and I will ask why he hasn't been able to fix the astigmatism and why welding issues. THX

Comment

Working...
      X