Diesel fuel tank repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel fuel tank repair

Any advice on patching a cracked diesel tank? Other than obviously wash it out?

Steel or aluminum?

Comment

What I do, steel or aluminum doesn't matter. I usually make customer drain and remove tank but I will do it if I have to. Find leak, cut patch bigger than where leaking area is. Clean area where you be welding and tack patch on every 2" then fully weld. No big deal. I usually use 1/8" thick material. I tig weld if at all possible because less chance of a leak in the weld. Mig you may get a pinhole leak. The tanks are usually to thin for stick.

Most of the time leaks are from rust behind the straps. I don't try to seal original leak and just weld patch over top. Fuel will leak in between tank and patch. This will keep rust from spreading to the new patch. I do not do anything to the inside but drain as best I can. I always position tank so I repair area is at top this way any fuel is in bottom and will not contaminate welded area. Note that I only do it this way on diesel, hydraulic and oil tanks. Gasoline is a whole different ballgame.

Type of wire- Aluminum 4043, steel 70s2 or s6.
      Last edited by MMW; 07-24-2019, 04:20 AM.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

Fornay markets an excellent epoxy made for fuel tank repair, and it's cheap.
        WHY risk injury and demolition of your shop to weld on a fuel tank?

Comment

On a handful of occasions I’ve watched diesel mechanics weld up cracks in aluminum fuel tanks with fuel still in them and the tank mounted on the dump truck. I’ve heard many others talk about how they did it. As for me, I’m iffy on it. But the one time I stood close enough to watch such a repair done, one guy stuck his arm down into the diesel to hold a piece of rubber on the inside of the crack while the other guy hosed it down with brake cleaner and then took a spool gun to it. By golly it worked like a champ. However, I’m pretty sure even the dullest of lawyers would suggest the subheading of “do not attempt this at home, on your kids or your dogs.”

Comment

I no longer will fix them with fuel in them. While welding a step on one I burned through a thin spot and fuel started peeing out. We had to grab a pump quick and drain it into a drum. Then I finished welding it up. Many tanks are no longer available and almost impossible to retro fit a different style so they must be fixed.
            MM250
            Trailblazer 250g
            22a feeder
            Lincoln ac/dc 225
            Victor O/A
            MM200 black face
            Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
            Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
            Arco roto-phase model M
            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
            Miller spectrum 875
            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
            Syncrowave 250
            RCCS-14

Comment

To get the best service you may contact fuel tank repair service providers.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                On a handful of occasions I’ve watched diesel mechanics weld up cracks in aluminum fuel tanks with fuel still in them and the tank mounted on the dump truck. I’ve heard many others talk about how they did it. As for me, I’m iffy on it. But the one time I stood close enough to watch such a repair done, one guy stuck his arm down into the diesel to hold a piece of rubber on the inside of the crack while the other guy hosed it down with brake cleaner and then took a spool gun to it. By golly it worked like a champ. However, I’m pretty sure even the dullest of lawyers would suggest the subheading of “do not attempt this at home, on your kids or your dogs.”
                I heard a story where a fitter was hot bolting a blind off a diesel line sill filled with diesel, evidently, he cut to many bolts off the blind and the gasket failed, sending on fire diesel all over him, ...about two days later he died from his burns.

Comment

Working...
                X