printed welding calculator wildly different from online one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printed welding calculator wildly different from online one

I have one of those laminated paper slide-rule type welding calculators from Miller. For TIGging a 3/16 aluminum fillet it wants 1/8 electrode, 1/8 filler rod, and 210 to 240 amps. If you go to the online welding calculator at

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ing-calculator

it tells you 3/32 electrode, 3/32 filler and 150 to 180 amps. They say these calculators are to get you in the right ballpark, but these numbers aren't even in the same country IMO.

(And no I don't have the inner card flipped.)

Back in the day, things worked differently. Some might say less efficiently. Welding machines have come along way and work more efficiently so you can get away with less.

Comment

The disclaimer is that the suggested settings are only suggestions. For 0.187" aluminum, you need still 1A for every 0.001" (as a general rule of thumb for metal thickness) + an additional 25-50% for the initial "hot-start". It all depends on the configuration of the joint, but I would definitely set for the higher end to get the puddle started quickly, in about 3 seconds or so. If you wait too long, the part will get heat-soaked quickly and the puddle/whole part gets squirmy from the heat saturation.
      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Working...
      X