200 aead auto idle issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 aead auto idle issue

I bought a 200 le and can't get the auto idle working right. Innovat Corp has already rebuilt the board and it's still blowing the f1 fuse. The solenoid is new as well and I have no idea what to look at next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The serial number is JB493005

Comment

What are the exact symptoms?

Comment

As soon as I start the machine the fuse automatically blows, with or without the solenoid connected. When I strike an arc it won't idle up and hold the arc. If I idle up by hand it will weld just fine. Someone put a 20 amp fuse on before I bought it and it won't blow it but the auto idle wasn't working then either.

Comment

I assume this has electric start?

Comment

Yes sir.

Comment

I assume the power/weld switch is in weld. Please try starting the machine with the switch in the power position--that should disconnect the fuse from the circuit and it shouldn't blow. If it does, there's a wiring problem somewhere, or the power/weld switch has an internal short.

Second check: power/weld switch in weld; automatic idle control switch off. start the welder; does the fuse blow?

May need a box or two of fuses before this is figured out.

Comment

I also have to wonder if there is some voltage feeding back from the generator blowing the fuse, since it only blows when the generator is turning. That said, I would check the flashing diode D4--it does not flash like a light; it is used to "flash" the field of the exciter with voltage from the battery in case the welder sits unused for a very long time and loses its residual magnetism. If the diode is shorted, I suppose it's possible there is feedback from the gen toasting the fuse. I'm not an expert on the AEAD 200, so I don't know if that's possible, but it's a really easy check. Get an ohmmeter; be sure the ignition switch is OFF, disconnect the battery just to be safe (for both you and your meter), and connect one lead of the meter to wire 27 at the ignition switch, and the other lead to the center brush connection in the generator. Then swap the meter leads. You should get a very high/infinite/OL indication on the meter one way, and very low resistance the other way. If the resistance is the same both ways, you've found your problem. D4 is hidden in a wiring harness somewhere--you will have to trace wire 27 from the ignition switch to find it. But you don't have to find it to check it, since turning the ignition switch off isolates one end of it from the rest of the circuit..
                Last edited by Aeronca41; 07-18-2019, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Well after all the hassle and stress of trying to figure this all out it all came down to my own ignorance. I was under the impression that I had been using the right fuses. After some research i realized I was infact not. After hunting down the right fuses, it now running great. I just need to adjust the throttle to set the rpms. Innovat did everything to help, offering to send me another board and even sending me the service manual for the machine. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, it is greatly appreciated.

Comment

...the only people who don't make mistakes are those that don't do anything.....glad you got it figured out. a

Comment

Working...
                    X