need information about my new plasma cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need information about my new plasma cutter

i recently purchased a miller spectrum 187d dc plasma cutting system, serial no. JK637678 it doesn't work right now, but seems like the problem may be in the 4 wires and hose that go up to the handlle. is there any way i can check to see if it works before i purchase a replacement for that part of it.

New... as in out of the box new or new, as in I brought a new to my ownership used and broken plasma that isn't working?
    The former should be warranty and repair at a service depot, the latter would be good luck with that hope you got a good deal. I wouldn't replace until I was certain what the problem was. You could call Miller, it's often suggested for advice on checking things out or how to?

Comment

This is a 1995 or earlier model and sorry to say most parts are obsolete hope it didn't set you back too much

Comment

does miller offer any type technical support, i know it's an older product but i don't see any reason why it shouldn't still work fine

Comment

No reason you can't try calling them--they are usually pretty helpful. Just call the main number and ask for tech support. If no go there, you can also try calling George's Plasma Cutter Shop. I have not dealt with him but have heard a LOT of good things about him.

https://www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dewysd View Post
            i know it's an older product but i don't see any reason why it shouldn't still work fine
            If it's working it almost should work fine. So...you plug it in flip the switch and what happens? Any lights lighting? Things flashing? Any humming from the box? You suspect a torch cable issue? Why? Is it all chewed up, cut, frayed? How do the replaceable consumables like the tip and shroud nozzle look?Usually I'd say down load the manual and start? Have you done that?

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...s/O295_MIL.pdf

Read the trouble shooting section? Looked over the wiring diagram? How's the air/gas supply?

I'm sure you must be able to do some checks with what you have to confirm a degree of proper function. two wire for the switch, open closed? Hose for air /gas. Still leaves two wires it seems but they must go some where and do something, could be something to inquire if you call tech support or George's for advice.

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...-plasma-cutter

Not going to sugar coat it, it isn't looking easy.

Comment

Thank you, i think i've already narrowed it down to the compressor. i checked all fuses, they are good, even then one in rear of unit. pulled compressor out and am about to test it. i'm guessing it's 12v.
              Thank you for the manual, it's been a big help, couldn't get it from site

Comment

So...you plug it in flip the switch and what happens? Any lights lighting? when i flip the switch to turn it on, i see the power light comes on, hear the fan in the rear, but the ready light never comes on. no flashing lights or anything odd. You suspect a torch cable issue? Why? Is it all chewed up, cut, frayed? yes, the 2 wires going to switch have been spliced, and not a good job. detective pins were tough to get out, and one was slightly bent. made a list of parts including torch body, pins, electrode, tip, cup, and a new power cable assembly. i guess most of that is what you call consumables. Should i hear the compressor come on at any point? Thank you for the link to the manual, it helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by dewysd View Post
                  So...you plug it in flip the switch and what happens? Any lights lighting? when i flip the switch to turn it on, i see the power light comes on, hear the fan in the rear, but the ready light never comes on. no flashing lights or anything odd. You suspect a torch cable issue? Why? Is it all chewed up, cut, frayed? yes, the 2 wires going to switch have been spliced, and not a good job. detective pins were tough to get out, and one was slightly bent. made a list of parts including torch body, pins, electrode, tip, cup, and a new power cable assembly. i guess most of that is what you call consumables. Should i hear the compressor come on at any point? Thank you for the link to the manual, it helped a lot.
                  When you can't offer easy answers to a fast solution sometimes you offer what encouragement you can to help find them. Strip twist and tape, standard for electrical repairs and usually works. If the pins make contact, chances are they make a connection to complete a circuit. As far as consumables, post a picture, but they as well need to be in good condition for proper operation to occur.
                  I would think you should hear the compressor running, with out air, you won't cut and without air you won't get the good to go light to come on. Have you checked the compressor? Have you done the maintenance to ensure it's operation?
                  Lastly...have you called Miller Tech support? If you do, remember the name of who you talked to. You might be calling back more then once. Make a friend, and be prepared to have him help you by being clear on what you have, have done, found, and tried.

If you pinned your hope on my being an expert on fixing broken, you bet on the wrong horse. But I have fixed broken, sometimes it's been easy and something it's taken a considerable effort. Good luck. When successful you can pat your self on the back and say you sure showed them what you were capable of when you put your mind to it.

Comment

Quick glance at the PDF says the gun has 2 trigger wires and 2 sensor wires going back to the "controller" board.
                    On board memory tells me the LWS sent a bunch of those machines back to Blue. On their best day they didn't cut much.

Compressor in the box left a lot to be desired, ZERO air cleaning and drying, and an air path that plugged up rendering the machine unable to trigger and cut. It came to market not long after the ZipCut fiasco. Blue had a lot of problems making Plasma Cutters back then. They also had a fascination with protective safetys.

It's one of those things I'd be hard put to spend time trying to make work.

Comment

A while back, a friend of mine bought a plasma cutter with an onboard compressor. In this humid climate on the gulf coast in southeast Texas, only thing it ever spit out was a couple of pilot arcs followed by water. I think he had it for about two hours before he returned it. We did pop it open because I was curios what it looked like inside, and like someone mentioned above, no air filtering or drying going on inside there.

Comment

'If you pinned your hope on my being an expert on fixing broken, you bet on the wrong horse" i understood that from the start, but what help you did offer was more than i expected and more than anyone else offered, yours was positive, and i thank you. The compressor not coming on is the only thing that has me worried now, i will call miller and ask for their method of checking. if nothing else, i enjoyed the adventure of the attempt

Comment

Can you run it from an outside air source or does it have to be that onboard jobber?

Comment

Page 13 of the PDF Noel henerously postedshows the compressor suitable for blowing up a bicycle tire. I see no reason the output hose of the compressor couldn't be reconnected to a real air supply.

Picture 6.something on the next page shows blue was still playing games with shield detection and tip detection. That was a carry on from the FAMED ZipCut contraptions.
                            Since I still recall that brilliant engineering being a major PITA on Zippy, I'd look for a way to bypass both features.

Still not addressed in the can it be made to work question, WHERE are consumables going to be found? I'm pretty sure I own what may be the last 2 Zippy sets that weren't thrown against a wall or smashed to prevent stroke. I also own the manual for that miserable $3,500 contraption.

I also recall blue went to an off shore manufacturer for their next march into the land of plasma.
                            By then, combined with the MM-250 which Miller wouldn't fix, take back, or retrofit, blue sales dropped like a rock.

Comment

Since the OP either can't or won't help himself, but has stated Compressor no run,
                              Quick & dirty-
                              hook it to a compressor for air, around 60psi.

Bypass the crap in red circles
                              Power up
                              Pull trigger

Comment

Working...
                              X