• Show
Clear All

• OscarJr
    replied
    Quite sure.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    You sure you don’t want to spend it on a book by some craftsman on how to repair wooden wagon wheels or something useful like that? I mean, honestly, what good is modern technology and all?

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
    ...And what better way to spend a massive raise?
    Exactly! More Tools ! ARG! ARG! more power !

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    ...And what better way to spend a massive raise?

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    You’re gonna be fancy now.
    Yeap, still need to get lots of tooling/fixturing for this thing to make it more "complete". Good thing I'm getting a massive raise at work starting in September.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    You’re gonna be fancy now.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Ordered a cheapie 3-axis DRO from Amazon. Should have it next week. Hopefully should improve on my mickey-mouse machine capabilities. Milling machine wasn't included, lol.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Ya man, the four jaw will be better for sure. Just take a little more time to dial in when you start.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Oh ok, yea I seen those. I currently dont need more accuracy than what it offers. The 8" chuck they sell is a 4-jaw independent so that would also help. I'll probably get that instead of the 6", which is only 1" larger than stock.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Collets for the lathe would probably take some of slack out. Collets are just more accurate anyway, but that’s the trade off for the limited size.

If you remember a few weeks ago a thread where Don52 posted his lathe has the Jacobs flex collets, those are sweet to use.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    2 or 3 thou is probably all that 3 jaw chuck can maintain anyway. Can you put a set of collets in that machine?

I like the size of it. Something like that would be worked pretty hard in my shop I’d suspect. I like it.
    Collets for the mill or for the lathe?

For the mill I use an ER40 kit.

For the lathe, they have a collet kit, but I don't think I have use for those. I think I want to upgrade the chuck to the 6" chuck, or maybe even the 8" chuck.
    Last edited by OscarJr; 07-19-2019, 10:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    2 or 3 thou is probably all that 3 jaw chuck can maintain anyway. Can you put a set of collets in that machine?

I like the size of it. Something like that would be worked pretty hard in my shop I’d suspect. I like it.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Got it on the table, now just gotta finish up the chip/oil tray I never got around to making.

Tucking her under the covers for a good night's rest.

Last edited by OscarJr; 07-19-2019, 08:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    I would say that it's a lathe that they added a milling head to. The whole milling head literally unbolts with 4 socket head hex bolts from the lower section (and one tiny screw holding the gearbox housing to the base of the millhead). That's how I transported it every time I needed to. The milling head weighs roughly 180lbs, and the lathe part I guesstimate about 350ish. They're both just as mediocre as the other, lol. The manual says it can hold tolerances to 0.002", so that means in the real world, 0.003"-0.004"? That's with the included dials, but if you go the DRO route (which I will eventually), then I suppose tolerances can be improved upon.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    So would you say it’s a lathe that happens to have milling head sitting on it or is a mill that has a lathe on it? Which, of the two, is better?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X