No announcement yet.

Lathe Moving Sled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How’s that thing been working out for ya, Oscar? I’ve been eyeballing them for a while, but haven’t been convinced. Does it cut steel pretty good? What brand is it? I should probably just get a bench mill or make some room and get a Bridgeport.

Comment

We had a couple of those Smithy's at work - they're OK, better than nothing and if treated well will last a while, but they're not a high quality machine. Ours were "open" to anyone to use so they were frequently abused by people who didn't know what they were doing so that's probably part of it. Take small cuts, use good tooling and you can make fair parts. It's not a rigid machine. If you're careful, you can get parts within a few thousandths of an inch, but expect to true everything in yourself. If you stay within the limits of the machine, only have a small space to work in, no 220 or 3phase power, etc, they're OK. For the same money as a new smithy ($8k), you can buy a used bridgeport/clausing/south bend and have a "real" machine, but you'll have to spend some time on it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        Seems like finding those machines comes in spurts. Won’t see any around here for a while then you’ll see several pop up. SB 9”, heavy 10, 9” atlas and Logan lathes. I wanted a SB 9 or heavy 10, then I feel into a deal with a 13”. Have a chance to get a summit 19”, but I really don’t have room for a lathe that big.
        I sold 3 SB lathes. A light 10K that was my baby, a heavy 10 and a monster 15". I kept my small 6" Craftsman...Bob
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Those smithy’s are 8 grand?!

I was looking at working Bridgeports and in good shape for under 3. I missed out on a great shape bench top mill...about as big as they get before they’re too big for a bench...a while back. Finding a new spot for one of my tool boxes will be far easier than a knee mill. I’d just worried that the smaller machine won’t perform as well on steel as I’d like.

Comment

I think they're $4k to start and can go up from there. The last one we bought new was $8k with the stand and everything.

Comment

Bought this one in the mid 80's from a model shop at auction........hardly any wear anywhere...the Bridgeport power feed finally went out as most do and I re-powered both the X&Y with new Servo power feeds..........Tooling is the most important part of these machines and took me several years to accumulate all the right stuff.........been a good machine and keeps on building parts............

Comment

That’s exactly the size machine I need.

Comment

That Smithy is the Midas 1220LTD, I got it for ~$2300 shipped, on sale (reg price is $2400 or so). Their larger machines are obviously more $$$$. I got this because at the time, I didn't have a garage and needed to save space. Well now I have a garage, and I'd definitely prefer a separate mill/lathe. But at the time I didnt know I would have this larger house in the future. It's decent for small projects (obviously), and the repeatability is there if you take the time to re-check the ways and take out the slop very often. For home hobbyist use, not a problem on an unlimited time-frame. If you need to make money producing parts on a run, should probably look elsewhere.

Ryan, it will cut anything with the proper tooling and procedures, that's not a problem. Obviously, the depth of cut is limited by the HP, but that should be expected.
                  Last edited by OscarJr; 07-15-2019, 09:15 PM.
                  HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                  HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                  HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                  HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                  HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                  HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

You need enough adjustable height after you mount tools into the collet and the work piece in the vise, check overall distance from the spindle to table before you buy so the stuff you plan to work on fits under the added tooling.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post
                      You need enough adjustable height after you mount tools into the collet and the work piece in the vise, check overall distance from the spindle to table before you buy so the stuff you plan to work on fits under the added tooling.
                      Luckily on my Smithy, you can elevate the whole milling head up almost 8". And it swivels 360° completely out of the way to facilitate with lathe'ing.
                      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

So would you say it’s a lathe that happens to have milling head sitting on it or is a mill that has a lathe on it? Which, of the two, is better?

Comment

I would say that it's a lathe that they added a milling head to. The whole milling head literally unbolts with 4 socket head hex bolts from the lower section (and one tiny screw holding the gearbox housing to the base of the millhead). That's how I transported it every time I needed to. The milling head weighs roughly 180lbs, and the lathe part I guesstimate about 350ish. They're both just as mediocre as the other, lol. The manual says it can hold tolerances to 0.002", so that means in the real world, 0.003"-0.004"? That's with the included dials, but if you go the DRO route (which I will eventually), then I suppose tolerances can be improved upon.
                          HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                          HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                          HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                          HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Got it on the table, now just gotta finish up the chip/oil tray I never got around to making.

Tucking her under the covers for a good night's rest.

Last edited by OscarJr; 07-19-2019, 08:29 PM.
                            HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                            HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                            HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                            HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

2 or 3 thou is probably all that 3 jaw chuck can maintain anyway. Can you put a set of collets in that machine?

I like the size of it. Something like that would be worked pretty hard in my shop I’d suspect. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                                2 or 3 thou is probably all that 3 jaw chuck can maintain anyway. Can you put a set of collets in that machine?

I like the size of it. Something like that would be worked pretty hard in my shop I’d suspect. I like it.
                                Collets for the mill or for the lathe?

For the mill I use an ER40 kit.

For the lathe, they have a collet kit, but I don't think I have use for those. I think I want to upgrade the chuck to the 6" chuck, or maybe even the 8" chuck.
                                Last edited by OscarJr; 07-19-2019, 10:33 PM.
                                HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                                HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                                HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                                HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Working...
                                X