Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lathe Moving Sled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lathe Moving Sled

    I needed to move my lather from the basement to the porch, so I built a sled that could be pulled up the stairs and on to the kitchen floor, then put wheels on the sled so it could be moved out to the porch without damaging the kitchen floor. My mini lathe's chuck won't open but to 7/8", so I needed a way to drill and thread straight 5/8 holes in the end of 1 1/4" axles. So I milled and drilled out a 5/8 Tap guide, transfer punch guide and a 3/8 pilot hole and 16MM drill guides. I ended up just using the transfer punch guide, the tap guide and the 16 MM drill guide for taping 5/8 threads for axle bolts.

    I had a nice 3/4 X 8"? plate I welded to the end of my 16 Inch I beam to to mount my mag drill to, I guess you call my design a poor mans line boring machine, but it worked fine with no hitches whatsoever.

    I put a nylon stick on material made to help slide heavy objects on the bottom of the 2 1/2" square tube skids to help them slide over the steeps. It also worked great, the lathe came right up the steps with a 3/4" nylon rope.

    All in all for someone who is not a trained engineer, my system couldn't have worked better, even if it's not OSHA approved.


    http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/cy...w/Lathe%20Sled
    Last edited by tackit; 07-14-2019, 08:47 AM.

  • #2
    Sort of like the 1906 Hamilton sitting in my shop a man gave me for getting it out of his garage so he could close selling his house. Most people who looked at it said it was ancient junk. I figured it might be ancient but it was way more lathe than I had, so I slid a pair of skis made from 8" chanel under, bolted the legs to the chanel and jacked a few more inches so I could bolt 4 wheels from a big safe under the skis. Rolled it right across the garage with a coffin hoist while his wife chewed on him for not thinking of what I just did.
    Got the tips of the skis onto the hydro tilt trailer I'd built from a high voltage tower and pulled the wheels as the lathe went on the trailer for more surface area to spread the load. Job would be a lot easier today with the teflon sliders we have, but who heard of Teflon back then. Chained the machine down, Locked the loose components down, doublechecked and away we went.

    Stopped at the car wash on the way to the shop, gave that filthy 60 year old girl a bath and let the wind dry her on the rest of the trip. Sun dried it and I sprayed it quick with some car paint left from something. Next day I barred it into the shop. Got it positioned, jacked level, and grouted under the skis. I was actually dumb enough to get the bed at a height I don't have to bend over to run the machine.
    Must have done something right cause it still works 50 years later.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Franz© View Post
      Sort of like the 1906 Hamilton sitting in my shop a man gave me for getting it out of his garage so he could close selling his house. Most people who looked at it said it was ancient junk. I figured it might be ancient but it was way more lathe than I had, so I slid a pair of skis made from 8" chanel under, bolted the legs to the chanel and jacked a few more inches so I could bolt 4 wheels from a big safe under the skis. Rolled it right across the garage with a coffin hoist while his wife chewed on him for not thinking of what I just did.
      Got the tips of the skis onto the hydro tilt trailer I'd built from a high voltage tower and pulled the wheels as the lathe went on the trailer for more surface area to spread the load. Job would be a lot easier today with the teflon sliders we have, but who heard of Teflon back then. Chained the machine down, Locked the loose components down, doublechecked and away we went.

      Stopped at the car wash on the way to the shop, gave that filthy 60 year old girl a bath and let the wind dry her on the rest of the trip. Sun dried it and I sprayed it quick with some car paint left from something. Next day I barred it into the shop. Got it positioned, jacked level, and grouted under the skis. I was actually dumb enough to get the bed at a height I don't have to bend over to run the machine.
      Must have done something right cause it still works 50 years later.
      Do you still got the trailer Franz, I would love to have built one like that, but it would cost to much for as little as I need one. Have you seen the kind of trailer where the deck actually lowers to the ground between the wheels?

      Comment


      • #4
        Still sitting in the lot Tack, but it don't get much use in the last few years, sort of obsolete. Primary replacement was built from a drive on car lift top obtained for hauling away. Threw that on the floor inverted and built most of the trailer inverted just like Odenbach built ship hulls in 36. Lot easier welding flat than overhead. Tilts on an air bag from a Peterbilt, electric winch too.

        Got one of the elevator decks, factory unit that uses L shape cranks to raise & lower the rubber roller "suspension" and it ain't worth crap. Cylinders are too small and a bump or pothole at speed will make your whole week when a hose blows. The other style of dropper where the deck rides an elevator frame is better, but weighs too much to make it anyplace near profitable to run. Neither is worth owning unless you only use it yourself because drivers won't listen, let alone read the manual, won't remember, don't care, and get paid for destroying equipment. You might as well give the neighbor's wife your Visa card and tell her to have fun like we do with School Boards.

        Some day I'll build the ultimate trailer, tilt bed, sliding axle, demountable convenience crane, onboard hydraulic pump, extendable tongue, pole bunk, SPARE TIRE, electric winch, hitch lock, wheel boot, toolbox.
        Almost got there with this one but I forgot to put the slider on, and the lights are a PITA.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Franz© View Post
          Still sitting in the lot Tack, but it don't get much use in the last few years, sort of obsolete. Primary replacement was built from a drive on car lift top obtained for hauling away. Threw that on the floor inverted and built most of the trailer inverted just like Odenbach built ship hulls in 36. Lot easier welding flat than overhead. Tilts on an air bag from a Peterbilt, electric winch too.

          Got one of the elevator decks, factory unit that uses L shape cranks to raise & lower the rubber roller "suspension" and it ain't worth crap. Cylinders are too small and a bump or pothole at speed will make your whole week when a hose blows. The other style of dropper where the deck rides an elevator frame is better, but weighs too much to make it anyplace near profitable to run. Neither is worth owning unless you only use it yourself because drivers won't listen, let alone read the manual, won't remember, don't care, and get paid for destroying equipment. You might as well give the neighbor's wife your Visa card and tell her to have fun like we do with School Boards.

          Some day I'll build the ultimate trailer, tilt bed, sliding axle, demountable convenience crane, onboard hydraulic pump, extendable tongue, pole bunk, SPARE TIRE, electric winch, hitch lock, wheel boot, toolbox.
          Almost got there with this one but I forgot to put the slider on, and the lights are a PITA.
          It served you well that's what matters, I like when builders use the old stuff to build with, there something special about taking old parts and equipment making them do a job for you..

          Comment


          • #6
            My lathe movin’ sled.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #7
              Corners of them caster mounts gonna hurt bad some dark night.
              You got the pony that fits the headstock end?

              Comment


              • #8
                Yup been there. Waited for 6" of snow and moved my lathe from the garage to my basement. Shoveled snow down the steps and down she went. The snow melted...Bob Click image for larger version

Name:	24921-2dafddeece2881336234296f83bfb10e.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	599456
                Bob Wright

                Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why would the caster mount corners hurt? You’re not supposed to head butt them. Maybe you should pay attention where you’re walking when you’re in the shop.

                  I like it Bob. There’s a big forge behind one of our fire stations here, been there for over 100 years. Until about ten years ago, they were still using a steam powered hammer. They had pictures on the wall inside the office of how they got it into position....big blocks of ice, stacked up, slid it off a rail car using mules and got it into place. Then they let the ice melt and that’s where she lived for over a century.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post

                    I like it Bob. There’s a big forge behind one of our fire stations here, been there for over 100 years. Until about ten years ago, they were still using a steam powered hammer. They had pictures on the wall inside the office of how they got it into position....big blocks of ice, stacked up, slid it off a rail car using mules and got it into place. Then they let the ice melt and that’s where she lived for over a century.
                    That's cool! No pun intended!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I need to move my toy lathe as well. Lots of work for a micro machine.
                      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                      HTP Microcut 875SC

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey Bob, is that a Southbend 9" on that sled? Tried to find one for sale in my area for some time. Couldn't find one, ended up buying a small grizzly lathe. Next auction I went to, they had 8 Southbends. Shoulda picked one up, but I decided to stick with the Grizzly. Lessons learned.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post
                          Hey Bob, is that a Southbend 9" on that sled? Tried to find one for sale in my area for some time. Couldn't find one, ended up buying a small grizzly lathe. Next auction I went to, they had 8 Southbends. Shoulda picked one up, but I decided to stick with the Grizzly. Lessons learned.
                          Its a South Bend 10K which is a jacked up 9". The best lathe i ever ran and i just sold it...Bob
                          Bob Wright

                          Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Seems like finding those machines comes in spurts. Won’t see any around here for a while then you’ll see several pop up. SB 9”, heavy 10, 9” atlas and Logan lathes. I wanted a SB 9 or heavy 10, then I feel into a deal with a 13”. Have a chance to get a summit 19”, but I really don’t have room for a lathe that big.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              moving this baby lathe/mill today into the garage.

                              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                              HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                              HTP Microcut 875SC

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X