No announcement yet.

Small Tanks of 90/10 Shielding Gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure thing, you can come down one weekend later in the Fall and try out my machines and I can learn from you as well. I can cook up some Wagyu beef burgers (it's the only beef I use) or some bratwursts on some mesquite/pecan firewood after you mess with the machines, and a good time will be had by all.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Gee Ryan, you can take the teardrop trailer and test it out in Oscie's driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        Relevant question to your post FK.....

Certainly the pulse spray mig on aluminum is with pure argon, but for steel requiring the 90/10 mix, can short circuit mig work just as well on that gas? I’ve never ran that mix.

I ask because I run 75/25 and do mostly short circuit mig. I do, however, very much like running spray transfer when indicated, but I don’t change gas. I also have some dual shield that I run in the spray arc range and it’s made to run on 75/25 or straight CO2. What I don’t want is to have to change gas cylinders all the dadgum time. I have only one big wire feed machine. So until I get a second one in here, I need to minimize the down time of swapping.
        Sorry for the delay. I'm working on selling a house I need to sell.

I have the same problem you do. I HATE changing over gas and wire for every silly little job. I found the 90/10 was awesome for spray and pulse spray on thick steel. I loved it with .045 solid wire.
        But when someone would bring in a rusted sheet metal type repair it would pretty much turn it into dust. That was switched down to .035 wire. So I got a little bottle of 75/25 and it truly made the difference.
        I believe the 350P would be a much better machine if they had included settings for .025 wire on pulse spray and short circuit. I know it will run on that, I am simply too busy to mess with all that. Truthfully I would be more inclined to play with .025 aluminum first.
        To solve my garbage metal welding dilemma, I bought a MigMax 215 from Harbor Freight and loaded it with .030. and 75/25. Problem solved. After I read Shovelon's comments (on WW) I knew I would more than likely be pleased with that machine for what I intended.
        Now I have a cheap machine that no one in the shop is going to convert over to aluminum. It is dedicated to whatever rusty junk people bring in. Mainly patio furniture and lawn mower stuff.

I do wish I had one of those HTP pulse on pulse machines like Oscar!! I believe it would fill a hole in our line up here. But it would simply be set up for aluminum 99.9% of the time. Steel welding in our shop is more of a hobby than anything.

Oscar, I think you maybe should start a thread showing some of those features and the differences they make. Or do you already have one on WW ?
        BTW.....thanks for keeping this back on topic. Sometimes the rambling causes me to loose interest

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

Sorry for the delay. I'm working on selling a house I need to sell.

I have the same problem you do. I HATE changing over gas and wire for every silly little job. I found the 90/10 was awesome for spray and pulse spray on thick steel. I loved it with .045 solid wire.
          But when someone would bring in a rusted sheet metal type repair it would pretty much turn it into dust. That was switched down to .035 wire. So I got a little bottle of 75/25 and it truly made the difference.
          I believe the 350P would be a much better machine if they had included settings for .025 wire on pulse spray and short circuit. I know it will run on that, I am simply too busy to mess with all that. Truthfully I would be more inclined to play with .025 aluminum first.
          To solve my garbage metal welding dilemma, I bought a MigMax 215 from Harbor Freight and loaded it with .030. and 75/25. Problem solved. After I read Shovelon's comments (on WW) I knew I would more than likely be pleased with that machine for what I intended.
          Now I have a cheap machine that no one in the shop is going to convert over to aluminum. It is dedicated to whatever rusty junk people bring in. Mainly patio furniture and lawn mower stuff.

I do wish I had one of those HTP pulse on pulse machines like Oscar!! I believe it would fill a hole in our line up here. But it would simply be set up for aluminum 99.9% of the time. Steel welding in our shop is more of a hobby than anything.

Oscar, I think you maybe should start a thread showing some of those features and the differences they make. Or do you already have one on WW ?
          BTW.....thanks for keeping this back on topic. Sometimes the rambling causes me to loose interest
          The only reason I haven't is because there's plenty of YouTube videos about it's features, the best/most-knowledgeable ones by Peter Zila. As for the 0.025" wire, if you use 0.030" wire on pulse, 0.030" can already go down to base material thickness of 0.023" as a minimum, so that's why there's probably not a lot of time invested into developing pulse programs for 0.023"/0.024"/0.025" wire.

I haven't used all the features on my ProPulse machines, but if there is something specific that you would like to know, I can try my best to answer it. What I can tell you that is really neat for aluminum is that not only can you use the aluminum-specific 8ft gun with teflon liner, the new Pro Pulse 220 MTS can now be retrofitted with both a spool gun or even a push-pull gun for more serious fab work. That was not available on the older the Pro Pulse 200 machine as it lacked the physical hardware board to support those add-on's. Couple that with the hand-held slider to adjust the synergic volt/amp curve on-the-fly while welding, and it makes for a pretty versatile machine. I used it (the slider) on E71T-11 gas-less flux core and even like that it works awesome. Filled up a nice sized 3/8"-7/16" gap on some rough-cut steel tubing a few weeks ago when I was outside setting up an outdoor subpanel for my air compressor.

Admittedly, this isn't anything to impress the welding gods, but I thought it was pretty awesome (to seal up a wide gap using on-the-fly heat control) considering how versatile gas-less flux core already is. This obviously isn't anything structural, it's just holding up my custom subpanel and protecting the wire inside. You can go from 60A ↔ 200A back and forth with the swift slide of the thumb.

And if that isn't cool enough, check out what I did on my ProPulse 200. I installed a TIG button from my Invertig 221 TIG welder, so on that one I can have a pressure-sensitive synergic on-the-fly heat control. The button acts as both a trigger switch and a potentiometer all in one.

Last edited by OscarJr; 07-22-2019, 11:39 AM.
          HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
          HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
          HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
          HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

You say you fabricate parts? So all your work is done in the comfort of your own shop? If so, get the big tank and rent it because after that they will only charge you to refill it. I worked in a crane manufacturing shop and we had the Axxcess 450 welders with pulse setting and it is beyond worth it. 90/10 gas creates far less the spatter anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by thieswelds View Post
              You say you fabricate parts? So all your work is done in the comfort of your own shop? If so, get the big tank and rent it because after that they will only charge you to refill it. I worked in a crane manufacturing shop and we had the Axxcess 450 welders with pulse setting and it is beyond worth it. 90/10 gas creates far less the spatter anyway.
              Thanks for chiming in with your feedback. Glad to see others also benefit from this welding process! :thumbsup:
              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Working...
              X