Handy pickup truck crane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handy pickup truck crane

I put a pickup truck crane on my welding bench to lift heavy objects onto the bench.

Nice - I like that idea! So many possibilities there besides lifting heavy objects on the bench...

Comment

Originally posted by Fix Until Broke View Post
      Nice - I like that idea! So many possibilities there besides lifting heavy objects on the bench...
      It's easier to change oil and change starter solenoids on the bench. The last time needed to work on mower deck I used a engine hoist, this set up will be much easier to use.

Comment

You didn't build the rolling work bench for garden tractors yet, did you Tack?

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
          You didn't build the rolling work bench for garden tractors yet, did you Tack?
          I'll never be able to out do you and your inventions,the best I can do is buy a mower lift.

Comment

Good Ideas..........And I use rolling carts as work benches also.............and use the overhead hoist to do the lifting.......if it's a motor its on a rolling cart near the ground on 4 wheels or an engine stand...can't have too many hoists in the shop. Click image for larger version

Name:	overheadhoist.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	599253

Comment

I keep tellin you; Delete the "buy" word, other than gas and rod and a little wire. OK, some Gas & Diesel fuel too.

Just look at the hydro crane. Other than welding wire 100% recycled material. Started life as a transmitter housing for WSAY made by RCA.
              I had a Plasma cutter to learn about, I had a drill press, I had a retired hydraulic fence post puller. I wanted rotation, I had a Chevy front wheel spindle. I wanted portability between vehicles. Square tube + angle iron= reese type sockets.

That bench/cart started as an industrial cart and pallet racking. I love pallet racking. Got a 13 x 21 NotA Building sitting on scrap guard rail framed with pallet rack. Built the roof assembly on sawhorses for my convenience. No pictures, wife was staying well clear after checking my Life policy. Stuck 4 corner posts under the roof, jacked it up and put 6x6 guardrail under the posts. She said I couldn't do that. I told her she was right, already did it. Finished the frame, drove the Mighty Yanmar 240D under the roof. Picked the frame with the loader & 3 point, and put the frame where I wanted it.
              Wanted a door, wasn't spending what the door company wanted for 4 steenkin panels, so I pulled a 14 foot door off the scrap pile free cause the door guy said I'd never make my idea work. OK. Skilsaw cuts those panels easy, and I got 13 foot sections. Pulleys are cheap on ebay since I couldn't get enough out of the dumpster. Cable I got a spool. I built my bi-gold door just like I said I would. Called the door company guy and invited him over to look. He was so mad he told me never to come to his store again. He was really mad I employed counterweights instead of trying to use a spring.

Wanted a 6 x 8 shed for my buttbuggy so it could sit next to the kitchen door. Pallet rack + 2" EMT + crate wood & PVC panel. I got my shed. Wanted a door so I scabbed enough track together and bought a set of rollers from ebay. Ripped some 1x2 wood and made my overhead door with quick turn top brackets.

Wanted air bags on the back of my old Explorer. Every place I asked tole me Nobody makes that kit. Spent an hour looking for Nobody kits, not even on google. Bought a pair of air bags and mounted them. I'll tell you absolutely, don't drive a vehicle with air bags and no tubing connected. Liked to have twisted the frame.
              10# of air and that Explorer went back to being nice.

Gave considerable thought to changing my name to Nobody Industries.

Just begin with the attitude you CAN do it, and if you don't get crushed you probably will.

Give up the negitive waves Tack.

Comment

My biggest problem is where I live there is no industry or a lot of small companies that dis-guard their old stuff for new. Before China started buying our scrap to build their Olympics, I was able to pick through a big farmer in the area's junk pile for things I needed, and years ago we had a company north of here that sold recovered and cobbled end steel from the steel mills up north. Today even the one big corporation still left in our area sells there scarp, making it hard to find free steel and thingamajigs to build with.

The pallet company went out of business too.

My friend who lived near Hammond Indiana, whitch used to be a well populated and heavy industrial area, was able to collect used garage doors, springs and tracks from garage door companies, he built a few trailers out of those tracks and sides for his trailers out of the doors.

Living here is not a place for doing it on the cheap DIY builders.
                Last edited by tackit; 07-12-2019, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                  Good Ideas..........And I use rolling carts as work benches also.............and use the overhead hoist to do the lifting.......if it's a motor its on a rolling cart near the ground on 4 wheels or an engine stand...can't have too many hoists in the shop. [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":599253**[/ATTACH]
                  That's a nice hoist tarry, I can see where that hoist would come in handy.

Comment

Tack when I was playing road show things were much better. I've detoured a few hundred miles to pick up something that was being thrown out. Not unusual to get a call from a plant guy telling me he was stashing something till I could come pick it up. The old 1 hand washes the other favor bank worked well, and a lot of machinery got saved from going to China to return as paper clips. Even after I got restricted to my recliner things were good.
                    Today with all the MBA (Mind Blown Azzwipes) running industry out of town and junkies raiding scrap piles, raw material supply is dried up.
                    Add in the device equipped scrappers working the Things I swiped from Work list and a man can't catch a deal any more.

Used to be a plastic supplier in town where they had a pile of cutoffs in the showroom you could stop in and get cheap. Saved them scrapping costs and put some money in the coffee fund. Lady would eyeball your stack, maybe heft it and give you a price, generally less than a penny on the dollar. That all ended and everything went to the dumpster because some snotball called Weights & Measures because he didn't like the price of what he wanted. W&M had no choice other than to write a ticket for failing to use a certified scale. W&M also charges $50 per year to put the certified sticker on each scale. Oddly they don't bother drug dealers selling by weight.

Country has become overpopulated by punks with devices and you and I are obsolete cause everything anybody needs to know is on Google.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                      Tack when I was playing road show things were much better. I've detoured a few hundred miles to pick up something that was being thrown out. Not unusual to get a call from a plant guy telling me he was stashing something till I could come pick it up. The old 1 hand washes the other favor bank worked well, and a lot of machinery got saved from going to China to return as paper clips. Even after I got restricted to my recliner things were good.
                      Today with all the MBA (Mind Blown Azzwipes) running industry out of town and junkies raiding scrap piles, raw material supply is dried up.
                      Add in the device equipped scrappers working the Things I swiped from Work list and a man can't catch a deal any more.

Used to be a plastic supplier in town where they had a pile of cutoffs in the showroom you could stop in and get cheap. Saved them scrapping costs and put some money in the coffee fund. Lady would eyeball your stack, maybe heft it and give you a price, generally less than a penny on the dollar. That all ended and everything went to the dumpster because some snotball called Weights & Measures because he didn't like the price of what he wanted. W&M had no choice other than to write a ticket for failing to use a certified scale. W&M also charges $50 per year to put the certified sticker on each scale. Oddly they don't bother drug dealers selling by weight.

Country has become overpopulated by punks with devices and you and I are obsolete cause everything anybody needs to know is on Google.
                      I totally agree with your assessment of today's industrial scarp and the way businesses deal with there old and dis guarded stock and equipment today Franz. When I took the wife to the grocery store I would always drive around the back of the strip mall and check out store's dumpsters, it's not worth the effort anymore. The big corporation in town used to let workers take scarp home, not anymore, it all goes into a hopper the scarp companies pick up. .

Comment

Reminds me of a time when the little woman wanted some corrugated boxes to ship something at Bah Humbug. At the time this area was real big into recycling so every store had a separate dupster for cardboard. Naturally none are smart enough to brake the boxes down. We leave the choke & puke, and I drive over behind the plaza to interview dumpsters. Employee in one of the stores thinks I'm dumping garbage so next thing I know 2 County Mounties are lighting me up. That killed the better part of half an hour for them to figure out they either held public enemy #1 upright or let me have my gimpstick.
                        Turns out taking boxes out of dumpsters is completely legal too.

Comment

Working...
                        X