Blame the Weldor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blame the Weldor

I got a buck says some "welding engineer" and a welding machine operator employing a MIG device stuck the flange on improperly, and a "welding inspector" stamped it before it went to galvanizing. The "weld" LOOKED GOOD.

Blame the European steel.

The Port of Beaumont here has been shipping those things in and loading them on rail cars for as long as I’ve been working here. Last I heard they were all coming from Europe somewhere, but I can’t remember exactly.

But no matter where they come from, at some point, Mother Nature wins.

Comment

We're presently being buried in solar panels here, the fans just can't seem to catch on because they are ugly.

The solar on the other hand is low profile and noise free so it's covering a lot of municipal land and eliminating mowing costs. I'm enjoying watching it unfold. The panels are being set at an angle that delivers max output in Summer and will deliver nothing in Winter as well as possibly collapse from snow load. The panel owner has an initial 3 year contract which will allow renegotiating the lease based on delivered output. 3 years from turn on the panel owner will get considerably reduced rent and then realign the panels. Oddly there are piles of galvanized angle waiting under panels for this job already.

Funny thing is the panels on private land are already at correct orientation for max capture.

Municipal Professionals have studied this fiasco er I mean project, and are sure it's a good deal for taxpayers and will help Minidiclestater Cuomo get the State closer to his renewable energy goals. Meanwhile, coal plants have been demolished rather than refitted to gas, taxpayers have 29 more years to pay for the gasline buried to facilitate retrofit, and Lake Ontario is well past flood stage while property owners pay tax on land they "own" that's under water.

I'm looking for Kudzu seed for solar fields if anybody has some.

Comment

My father is off the grid with a solar power plant. He’ll never recover the cost of his power plant over paying his power bill in his lifetime.

We don’t have the wind power thing here either, just not enough wind. They’re being training off out west. There’s a ton of them in west Texas, where the wind never blows less than 80 mph.

I even looked at a mini wind turbine for my RV for when I’m off boondocking, but they produce very little unless you’re in the right place. I can’t remember what the average wind you need to make them worthwhile is, but it didn’t make sense for me. Now solar on the RV would work really well, but I don’t feel like putting the money or effort into it until I have to rebuild the roof. It’s that junky membrane roof, so minus a few minor repairs, it’ll be a few more years hopefully.

Comment

Here in SoCal a lot of schools and businesses are putting solar covers over their parking lots. Gives the cars shade and power for the business. Don't know the numbers but it's great for putting your car under on hot summer days. Where I work Edison and the city talked to the owner they claim if he covered the roof it would supply all the power we use in the summer and like 80% in winter. Edison still wanted him to pay 50% of our present bill because he was still connected to the grid. We didn't get the solar. And the broken pole,definitely the welders fault (even if it's not), because it's always the welders fault.

Comment

I'm reminded we played this game back in 1980 to a conclusion delivered by available technology.

Honestly the tech end hasn't gotten much better since them. We do have a whole new crop of green skinned protect Mother Earth boys & girls running loose with Deeplomers and Licenses though. I need to take a ride with my camera.
            With all the Laws & regulations to protect the public from flying parts we have one small machine sitting atop a taxpayer financed plaza backing up to an apartment complex. Fortunately it never turns. The monopole mounted machine next to the expressway got taken over when that company went belly up and since it was such a good foundation it now supports a billboard. The only machine to get Permitted in this Town was a follower on a 125 foot tower. It rarely turned, and when Mr Wind sold the house he had to take it down to get anybody to buy since no bank would write paper on any property with a windmill. We do have a masterpiece assembled by a Kodak ENGINURD back in the 70s. He dragged home a hiline tower and built a nasal containing 8 100 amp Delco alternators and a brake. It carrys 6 blades mostly constructed on Kodak $$ and sits next to a woods. Willard the Enginincompoop held an event for initial testing with all his fellow Enginerd pals, and managed with help to pull the safety lock from the input shaft. He didn't understand stress on the shaft was caused by his nonfeathering blade assembly being in the wind. As the machine wound up Willard discovered brake bands can and do burn. He also learned firemen ain't completely stupid. Willard was violently throwing up by then, and wondering if his homeowner insurance would cover house destroyed by windmill. The evil machine was eventually subdued by rotating the nasal and secured. The safety pin was reinserted and has never been removed since. Trees have been allowed to grow around the tower.
            Willard took a strong dislike to me because I regularly referenced his contraption attempting to get windmill permits from the Town. I pointed out to Willard he wasn't paying me, people who wanted windmills were.

Ryan did Boone Pickins ever manage to get his utility corridor established so he could build wind collectors in the North End of Texas and sell electrons in the south end?

Comment

No idea. But there are a ton of those spinny things up there.

Comment

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-hat-1.5137428

I'm not sure how often you guys wash the windows in your homes, but mine don't get done enough or very often for that matter to keep the sun light bright as it shines in. That said...what a waste of 12m.

As for the wind turbine, I've seen what happens when rotating things go out of balance, you have to wonder if they plan that into those structures? It would be interesting to see some close ups of the damaged areas.

Comment

The kink towards the top the tower where the tower folded to me means the steel used to build the tower wasn't of the right specification.

The tower had to fold there first in order for the lower joint to fail the way it did after the top sections of the tower slammed into the ground,Yes?

I'm thinking the tower piece could have been damaged while being transported to the spot where it was to be put up, and the crew was told it would be OK and went ahead and put it up, something at the fold was responsible for the collapse of the tower.
                  Last edited by tackit; 07-10-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

According to my bud in Nebraskastan who took that picture the tower generally stays standing when one throws a shoe like that. He says several in the area are waiting for a new blade with the residue hanging for all the world to see. He's seen big chunks of blade half a mile from where the blade was spinning when it failed. New blades are supposed to be carbon fiber with better resins.

Thing I've always noticed about fiberglass and resin is over time the resin deteriorates and I get a hand full of fibers that make me go to preachin. Don't matter if it's a fiberglass snowplow stake or an expensive hockey stick, that crap self disintigrates from Sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                      According to my bud in Nebraskastan who took that picture the tower generally stays standing when one throws a shoe like that. He says several in the area are waiting for a new blade with the residue hanging for all the world to see. He's seen big chunks of blade half a mile from where the blade was spinning when it failed. New blades are supposed to be carbon fiber with better resins.

Thing I've always noticed about fiberglass and resin is over time the resin deteriorates and I get a hand full of fibers that make me go to preachin. Don't matter if it's a fiberglass snowplow stake or an expensive hockey stick, that crap self disintigrates from Sunshine.
                      It could be the engineers hadn't built the possibility of a blade breaking off, or pieces of a blade separating from a blade into the kind of steel they ordered for the tower...

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post

It could be the engineers hadn't built the possibility of a blade breaking off, or pieces of a blade separating from a blade into the kind of steel they ordered for the tower...
                        That's possible, but I doubt their insurance company and lawyers would ever let them sell the product without a risk analysis, and loss of a blade or part of one would be one of the first things on that analysis list.

Comment

https://www.rechargenews.com/wind/18...arms-this-year

http://www.windaction.org/posts?topi...e&type=Picture

They say things happen for a reason. I'm sure coated with sugar that reason is easier to swallow.

Comment

in May, a GE 2.4-107 turbine crumpled to the ground at the Chisholm View 2 wind farm in Oklahoma. ...The May incident is understood to be down to an issue experienced during a turbine reboot, which is being addressed with a software update.
                            Wait, what? A program bug can bring down the f'ing tower?

Comment

Guy in an engineering office once pointed out it's easy to build a 100 ton bridge, just build a bridge that will carry 150 ton.
                              Real trick engineering is to build a bridge that carrys 100 ton the day it's built and collapses under 103 tons, or better yet, collapses 3 years after going in service so you get paid again to figure out why it fell down.

Comment

Working...
                              X