Airco Wasp 225 ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airco Wasp 225 ignition

ive got no spark. Is there a electronic conversion or parts available ? I need to weld a thumb on my backhoe and don’t have the power for my buzzbox.

What kind of engine. Onan? May be folks here who can help (not me) but you can also search smokstak.com, tractorbynet.com, mytractorforum.com, yesterdaystractors.com. I think all of them have Onan engine threads.

Comment

Boatload of discussion of Wasps on SmokStak as well as other sites.
      They were produced with Onan, Kohler, Briggs and probably hampsters running on a wheel.

Don't see a whole lot of reason to repeat the discussion here, especially when the OP hasn't posted enough information to begin looking at the possible problems.

Comment

Well that was dumb of me. It’s a studebaker
        ill seek out smokestak.

Comment

It has a Studebaker engine? That's cool--worked on a number of Studebakers over the years, but didn't know they did small engines.

Comment

Studebaker bought Onan from the family like ITW bought Miller, Hobart and Smith. Onan was the last remaining division of Studebaker for years until Cummins bought Onan.
            Finding a small engine with Studebaker on it indicates Stude did in fact attempt to kill the Onan brand at some point as has been argued for years and denied by Stude employees.

Pictures of the monster child would be most interesting to see.

Comment

Studebaker-Packard was the sole owner of Onan from 1960-1975. So if there’s a sticker inside the machine that says “Studebaker” on it, the engine is probably still an Onan. They still owned most of Onan until almost 1980 when Studebaker was bought completely out.

Comment

Interesting read on the Onan company from the beginning.
                http://www.onanfamily.org/wp-content...STORY-1982.pdf

It's a bit of a long read, but worth the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                  Interesting read on the Onan company from the beginning.
                  http://www.onanfamily.org/wp-content...STORY-1982.pdf

It's a bit of a long read, but worth the time.
                  Thanks for that post with the link! I am going to check it out.
                  A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
                  LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
                  Lincoln Weldpak 100
                  Gianttech Arc 200
                  Victor O/A

Comment

I did a report on Onan when I was in college. The subject we had to choose from was family started and operated companies that went corporate after many years. That was about a decade before Cummins bought them though.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      I did a report on Onan when I was in college. The subject we had to choose from was family started and operated companies that went corporate after many years. That was about a decade before Cummins bought them though.
                      Anybody report on Hobart Brothers, Miller Electric or Smith torches?

There was a point in the late 60s as I recall when one of Onan's advertising lines was "The last remaining division of Studebaker and we're profitable".

Comment

Don't have time to read the Onan link now, but skimmed it and it is fascinating. This is a great thread--never too old to learn something new! When I was in first grade, we lived in an old farm house about a mile and a half from the nearest paved road, (and no indoor plumbing--what a treat that was in the winter time!) and that the school bus stayed on the hard roads. Dad bought an old beat-up Studebaker, I think maybe a '38?, and mom would drive me to the bus stop. I don't think it was ever even registered--probably not a big deal, since the very limited local constabulary didn't pay much attention to us country hicks. I think I remember mom saying it finally warmed up enough for the heater to do any good about the time she got back home.

Thanks for the history and the link! I'm anxious to get time to read the whole thing.

Comment

The plot thickens
                          Studebaker bought Gravely tractor in the 50s.
                          And a new factory went up in Georgia.
                          And Studebaker had a second source of small engines to play with
                          https://www.gravely.com/100years/timeline/

This is getting very complicated. I need bubbleyum. Hopefully Ryan didn't find my stash when he swiped my Clark bar.

Comment

Working...
                          X