replacing a price point cultivator's handle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing a price point cultivator's handle

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ariens Cultivator 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	598942Click image for larger version  Name:	Ariens Cultivator 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	598943 The handle that came with the cultivator was wobbly and of the length and height only a shorter person could use comfortably, after using it my back would ache for a few days.

So one day I saw the cultivator standing in the corner of garage and said, this is the day that the short people handle has to go.

So I took one of the plate drops which I trade for in liew of the value of my shop scrap at my friends welding business, and commenced to change things.

I first I found the angle of the original handle for a reference, then drilled mounting holes in the angle Irons that run down both sides of the plate, of which the bottom hole is for the axle to go through. The rear of the machine where the plate fits now was open.

I left the handle long thinking I can always shorten it, but since I no longer can stand or walk the SIL uses it, and he likes the length and height of the handle and rejoices in the fact that now, the machine angles when it's supposed to and not flex, causing more work and strain by having fight the machine to go where you want it too. I used the same "removed one side of square tubing" design to mount the handles

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ariens Cultivator 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.7 KB ID:	598939Click image for larger version  Name:	Ariens Cultivator 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	598940Click image for larger version  Name:	Ariens Cultivator 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.3 KB ID:	598941 on the sand blaster. Thank you Miller for years of bettering my life.
    Last edited by tackit; 07-03-2019, 10:06 PM.

I once set up a deal to swap copper bowls from the candy factory for equal weight of scrap wire + 5 bucks a bowl.
    It wasn't easy to splain to my dalin, but she wanted a bowl so she helped load scrap. Some things just don't easily translate from male to female in the English language. I came back with a load of filthy bowls, and she didn't look happy at all. She did help lay em out on the car wash floor so I could get a bath.
    40 years later I still have a 20 pound steel handled copper bowl and memories I can laugh about.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
      I once set up a deal to swap copper bowls from the candy factory for equal weight of scrap wire + 5 bucks a bowl.
      It wasn't easy to splain to my dalin, but she wanted a bowl so she helped load scrap. Some things just don't easily translate from male to female in the English language. I came back with a load of filthy bowls, and she didn't look happy at all. She did help lay em out on the car wash floor so I could get a bath.
      40 years later I still have a 20 pound steel handled copper bowl and memories I can laugh about.
      You are so correct, when a woman makes her mind up, making sense is not important or part of their thought process, that's why I will never vote for a woman.

Comment

I need that cultivator.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          I need that cultivator.
          Maybe Tack will work you a deal for some used hose headed for the dumpster.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            I need that cultivator.
            The 2 HP cultivator was bought sometime in the middle 90's, it has a edging attachment for edging sidewalks too. They can't afford to make them as good today thanks to global competition.
            The old Ariens Co. made good equipment. I had one of their 30 inch snow blowers, 18 HP Garden tractor with a tiller, a Rocket Tiller which I sold for the the Garden Tractor, and the Cultivator, all great equipment but I sold it when I moved to the country to buy larger equipment. I'm (thinking) back then it cost over $400. They made a 3 HP one too. If you need a cultivator, it's worth searching for one like it, .their built right.

Comment

Tack, can you swing by with that mixmaster? I got an idea it should work for stirring.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                Tack, can you swing by with that mixmaster? I got an idea it should work for stirring.
                Nice bowl and book, is the book Franzs' recommended book of the week? , Your mix-master Idea could work, that's what I mean when I say you got Idea's to solve problems up the gazoo.

I been thinking about what I should use to make my flag weight out of so it doesn't clang when it hit's the pole, I got to call my buds down at Napa and ax them if they have a radiator hose near 1 1/2" in diameter and 8" long. Fire hose would work but finding it could be a problem, I'll give the departments around me a call tomorrow and see if they have any old hose laying around. I never have seen a real flag weight, just the ones for sale at a flag website, but they didn't give dimensions of the flag weights they were selling.

Comment

The book was written by the guy who invented USA Today, probably 40 years back. His greatest lesson in Failure in inevitable. Get it accomplished by the time you're 40 and you have plenty of life left to recover & prosper.

The bowl is around 16 quarts hand hammered about 5/32 to 3/16 thick with iron handles. Fanny Farmer had a factory in Rochester with a couple hundred candy cooks and butchers who spent days stewing up sugar, cream and other goodies in those kettles to pour onto cornstarch covered marble tables to shape and cool. Other similar bowls. slightly shallower were used in water baths for chocolate the butchers dipped cores into to sit back on the marble and cool.

Copper bowls are the ONLY proper bowl to whip cream in, and can be both prechilled and kept cold for the whipping. All this was forged into my skull by a sweet little old farmer wife many years ago. She'd put her stainless wisk to anyone caught improperly whipping with the Hbart mixer. That bowl is best with 2 quarts of cream but will do 4 if you have to.

Flag weight, remember the weight only has to keep the flag straight. The collar around the pole keeps the flag from becoming a wind sock. You can also load the collar. Grab a couple socks without holes and experiment. Nuttin to it.

Comment

Working...
                  X