A question just came across my mind

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question just came across my mind

A question just came across my mind, can natural gas be used along with oxygen, like the myriads of other compressed natural gas products, to cut steel and weld with.? I can't say I ever heard of such a combination before.

Actually you can. They rarely do however. Number of reason but low gas pressure in the supply line is where it starts. Then the problem is gas pressure and cost, oxygen consumption increases, tips are special and storage for portability is costly. But you can.

http://www.gas-tec.com/flamecutting.html

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
      Actually you can. They rarely do however. Number of reason but low gas pressure in the supply line is where it starts. Then the problem is gas pressure and cost, oxygen consumption increases, tips are special and storage for portability is costly. But you can.

http://www.gas-tec.com/flamecutting.html
      Thanks Noel for the information. I never before have heard of a high pressure natural gas generator. I'm thinking HP natural gas cutting characteristics would be a giant improvement when cutting thicker metal on a CNC table also. I'm going to look on ebay for a used natural gas generator torch booster just to see what they go for, another plus would be one less tank to buy and screw with.
      Last edited by tackit; 07-02-2019, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Found a used one, says it works, make an offer, . but I don't know what a new one costs to compare them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-TEC-GB-50...kAAOSwzaJX4ZTS

Comment

That salesman happy brainfart died about 35 years back when sufficient zealots bought the $5000 NG compressor/storage in a box machine that would pay for itself in savings compared to acetylene. It was an offshoot of the failing NG vehicle fueling industry.

Even back then, the cost of electricity consumed to compress the NG surmounted any potential saving so salesmen never mentioned that little item.
          Then there was the little issue of lack of portability. The torch can only be used as far from the storage as the hose reaches, and the cost of piping concentrated NG around shops is high. Add in Insurance carriers have solid stats on torches connected to cylinders ergo a known risk exposure value. Stats on NG cutting were minimal so as soon as the Audit showed a NG concentrator rates skyrocketed. Insurance rates were actually lower for an on location Carbide/Acetylene generator.

The idea becomes funny when you realize most NG suppliers can furnish NG to commercial users at pressure sufficient to run a torch. They won't due to risk exposure as dictated by Insurance carriers.

All of that considered, NG heats and cuts worse than Propane/Oxy so any efficiency goes out the window and cost savings leave behind efficiency unless you're running a good sized cutting machine.

Comment

Guy around the corner from me has an acetylene generator. Pretty cool looking machine.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
              Guy around the corner from me has an acetylene generator. Pretty cool looking machine.
              Is it above ground or sitting in a hole?

Comment

They use it at BCIT where I went to school. Nice cuts on a track cutting machine, not so much by hand. Not hot enough for welding I think. Just hot tap into your supply line, plenty of pressure and bypass the silly gas meter device. Otherwise not enough savings for the effort and cost to set it up.
                www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
                Miller extreme 12vs
                Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
                Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

CNG has been a fun filled conundrum since the years when the Carter family occupied the White house.

As Wilvis states tapping supply ahead of the metering device and regulator would minimize the mandated problems considerably, BUT all kinds of agencies and gas suppliers are dedicated to preventing such.

Also as stated, NG lacks sufficient temperature to weld steel when used in combination with Oxygen. Brazing is possible but not cost effective unless you're oven brazing.

The situation gets worse when using NG as a motor fuel.

Comment

CNG for vehicles is used a lot in other parts of the world. In Thailand all the taxis were switched over to help lessen the smog. I worked for a company that built CNG re-fuelling compressors. The cost of running on cng is dirt cheap as far as I know. Canada and the States have all the existing infrastructure to support cng. The biggest problem is all the gas stations are owned by the gas companies who don't want it. Natural gas can also be reformed into Hydrogen.
                    www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
                    Miller extreme 12vs
                    Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
                    Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

I don't know what you want to know about it...is it above ground or in a hole? Nah man, it's sitting on the floor of his shop.

Comment

Working...
                      X