Miller 211 023 wire and 1/4 steel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 211 023 wire and 1/4 steel

Hello all I was just getting started last night putting spring perches and shock mounts on a jeep axle and I ran out of .30 wire. I had some .23 so I tried it on a little bit of it. The door settings went up to 3/16 and those were 4.5 and 100 wire speed. I was running just under 6 on my heat and 100 on my wire. Will this be ok

If the door setting said it would weld 3/16" with .023 I would assume the machine could weld the 1/4" perches on. Use proper weld preparation and make sure the toes of your welding beads are washing/blending into the perches and the axle. A cold weld bead looks high and it's toes look separate from the base metals instead of looking like one piece of steel. Short circuit Mig welds can fool you, so be careful, make a few practice gaped butt welds on 1/4" scrap material, put them in a vice and hit them with a beater in both directions and see what happens.
    Last edited by tackit; 06-22-2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Only thing I can add to that is after you beat the living day lights out of it and still aren't convinced, cut, polish and etch the test weld.

You could use straight CO2 if you have it, makes a little hotter of an arc. Position your weld so you're traveling slightly uphill, that sometimes helps a smaller wire dig into the root better.

Comment

I agree. Perfect example of when you definitely have to do test welds on scrap of the same thickness/joint configuration and inspect for weld soundness.

Also are you using the old transformer 211 or the newer inverter 211? For the newer inverter 211, those settings you mentioned are not what the chart suggests.

BTW, the voltage is not the heat setting, it controls arc length and puddle width. The wire feed knob (with other things held constant) controls the amperage. The two of them together create the "heat", aka: power aka wattage (volts x amps).
        Last edited by OscarJr; 06-22-2019, 08:57 AM.
        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
        HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
        HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
        HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
        HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Good links, Oscar.

Comment

Please post pictures of said vehicle along with plate number so I can stay well clear if I see it coming.

Buy plenty of personal injury insurance and wear a helmet.

Comment

I doubt the axle housing is more than 3/16, so your machine should weld the perches on OK.

Comment

That 211 is more than capable of making that weld.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  That 211 is more than capable of making that weld.
                  Machine MIGHT be, but is the operator?

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post

Machine MIGHT be, but is the operator?
                    Exactly. Most times it comes down to operator skill/knowledge and material prep.
                    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                    HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                    HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Would we have asked that question if he said he had a 350p?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                        Would we have asked that question if he said he had a 350p?
                        which question do you mean?
                        HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                        HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                        HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

The bit about the operator's ability to complete a sound weld.

Comment

Quite awhile back I did some cut and etch on a few test beads using .023-C25 on some 3/16ths & 1/4.. Was a bit disappointed. Seems like a flat bead on 1/4 was okay enough but the T joint was questionable. Minimal depth of fusion. What that meant to me wazzz, yep it could be done, as long as you had complete focus, total concentration on the joint at hand, perfect gun angle, no heavy mill scale, everything just right. Makes me think back to a few things I just threw together with .023 and I didn't feel like swapping wire.

What I learned was you can't get too cocky and over confident when you decide to use .023-C25 on 3/16ths to 1/4, single pass. Better have your stuff together.

Comment

Found the pics. This is/was some 3/16ths channel and 1/4 flat stock. Take a close look at the T joints. A bit more concentration on the T joints and I probably could have done better maybe. Still too close for me. I just 'don't push it' anymore.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X