Copper tinning at home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper tinning at home

It's a simple craft that can be easily accomplished by people who can't even speak English with a few simple sticks and a pile of sand.

Now there's a Utoob4boobs video you can follow step by step and set up a boutique operation repairing pans yuppies and trust fund kids burned the tin off for big bucks. The going rate is 10 bucks a square inch.

https://youtu.be/ZPnPyOfwhI0

Of course if a small corner boutique isn't your style, these guys are definitely the masters of the craft when it comes to vessel making.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQB6NJFyBq8

The brazed joint and castle joint are particularly interesting.

Comment

Very interesting video Franz, I like antique copper inside and outside lamps too.

Comment

I enjoyed those video's as well Franz, thanks for sharing. That pot tinning video was very cool and those fellas building pots and drums, a cool bit of history.

Comment

Just in case one of you kids decides to practice, the wiping pad for tin is raw wool from a sheep, NOT lambswool.

Something that don't work is a plumbers wiping pad real plumbers use to wipe a joint on lead pipe and old time cable splicers used on lead jacket cable. You think weldors are nuts watch a plumber or cableman pour himself a hand full of lead.

If you think you want to try tin, 50/50 solder is a lot cheaper to practice with, and wear cotton or wool clothing.
          Spitting into a lead pot is grounds for shooting the spitter in 19 States.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2833.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	598286I got removal down to a science, guess I have to spend some time practicing the application part?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2843.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	598285 Somewhere in the garage is a tin of Tinning Flux. No idea where ( although I have a couple of guesses), or what it is exactly (powder or paste), but I have something? I also have a sheep skin hide who'd have guessed? That guy tinning the pot over a fire was something else. I have the idea how it's done and that's a good first step towards doing. Thanks again.

Comment

Tinning flux - it's a grab bag oddly a bit geographic in nature going back to the days of what you can find where you're working.

In the 50s every shop had a lump of lead on the table with a heavy glass bottle peened into place for want of better description, sort of like a dip pen inkwell containing a mix of Muriatic acid & water about 50/50 with brushes and pine sticks both having and not having wool waste tips. Depending on the tin knocker's preference a few galvanized roofing nails might get dropped in when a new batch was made up.

I can't prove it but my hunch is the powdered fluxes for tinning and soldering are SalAmoniac based.

Comment

Huh, seems like the only thing that was being made in Turkey these days is firearms. Good to see other stuff being made.

Love those old machine that Ohio group is using.

Comment

Turkey is also making and shipping some fine spring suspended tractor seats, possibly even fire truck seats, along with extensive lines of farm equipment. The seat on my MIGHTY Yanmar 240D was made in Turkey, and shows signs of good quality craftsmanship.

In 2019 I'd say Turkish factory craftsmanship is every bit equal to US factory craftsmanship based on products I see being sold.

Comment

Working...
                  X